Amazon LP packaging

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by edb15, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edb15

edb15 Senior Member Thread Starter

I just received an LP from Amazon that was packed in a proper lp mailer--a thinner version of what Music Direct uses, in fact, with "wings" to prevent bent corners. The record was sold by Newbury Comics but fulfilled by Amazon, and the box has amazon.com printed on it.

Is this the new standard for Amazon LPs? The few times I've ordered one before, it came in an oversized box with massive corner dents.

2. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Yes, this is now the way Amazon is shipping. Read recently where Amazon posted that they had heard the complaints and rectified the way lp's are shipped.

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Good news.

4. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

I've been very happy with the change. I used to buy LPs on Amazon.ca and would weigh the trade off of a lower priced LP that will probably come with damaged corners.

Since they've changed their packaging I've never had a damaged record anymore.

5. sf74

sf74 Active Member

Amazon's new packaging for vinyl records is indeed very good. However, it's still possible to receive an album with seam splits on the cover sleeve as there isn't much reinforced protection for the top spine of the album. I've received a couple of records that shipped in the new packaging but arrived with seam splits.

6. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

While not specifically referring to Amazon, I am very pleased to note that many of the mail order dealers are now using the over sized packets with 'wings' which almost guarantees that you get your LP without crush or bump damage at the sleeve corners. CD Wow has excellent vinyl shipping packets as has Germany's jpc who didn't used to have very good packaging previously.

I have only ever got a handful of records from Amazon but I was very happy to get them in undamaged condition as the packaging was very good. I must try Amazon next time I am looking for something.

7. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

It seems that they have, in fact, adopted this new 'proper' packaging. I ordered the first Foo Fighters LP recently and it came in this new lp mailer with wings inside a larger box. I was pleasantly surprised. :righton:

8. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

ImportCDs use oversize mailers with styro clips on each edge of the LP, reducing lateral impact. A simple measure that works well. No seam splits!

Nice that retailers are waking up. I wonder how much of this new awareness is due to a high rate of returned/damaged LPs.

:)

9. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.