Amazon music HD streamer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telemike, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have my echo Dot hooked up to my Rotel integrated.

Is there a better affordable solution? I see the $200 Echo Link.

Other option I like is the new Denon stereo receiver with Amazon Alexa and music integrated with the onboard DAC.

Denon DRA-800H 2-Channel Stereo Network Receiver for Home Theater | Hi-Fi Amplification | Connects to All Audio Sources | Latest HDCP 2.3 Processing with ARC Support | Compatible with Amazon Alexa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RP4P169/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9K9NDbM1NV4X2

2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

If you already like your Rotel many really like the bluesound node 2 and 2i (I'm looking at one) - it is not powered, but runs the right OS to take full advantage of amazon's highest quality. It's only about 50 bucks less than the Denon, but like I said no power.

3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

After looking around a little, I'm finding some discontinued Denon heos receivers for as low as 229.00. I am in process of verifying that they will do bit perfect amazon HD.

4. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I reckon my ancestors jaw's will drop when they visit the museum of "Sreaming artefacts" in 2119.

sjsanford likes this.
  5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Which Rotel are you running? I have theRA-1570 with a Bluesound Node 2 connected with both RCA and optical cables, and am happy with the sound of both Tidal and Amazon HD (which I’m demo’ing). My only negative comment is that the search and play function for Amazon within Bluesound’s apps is wonky, but that is an Amazon issue rather than Bluesound.

Tim S likes this.
  6. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I'm hoping the Link will go on sale for Black Friday. I have my own DAC so I just need something with a digital out.

7. telemike

Rotel RA-12, bought for $350. I'll lookout for a used Amazon Link

8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

These things have a digital out? That may be the way to go for a lot of people.

9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

A Denon HEOS link HS2, will do the trick.

10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

That's a good option. From looking around, it looks like that is the best "inexpensive" option along with the Bluesound Node 2i.

The Marantz stuff and the capable Denon amp's are just a little too high priced for me to justify.

11. That's exactly what I’m planning on doing as well. However if you look at the info I think it *may* only output cd quality. Nowhere I see confirms that it will send 24-192 or 24-96 over the coax out or what amazon refers to as ”Ultra HD”. Have you found any documentation that states it will?

12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I am pretty confident it won't do the high bit rate stuff - I think maybe it tops out at 48k. I seem to remember that, but I've been researching so much on this that I might be a little confused.

boyhitscar likes this.
  13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

If you are referring to the Heos link, then I can confirm that the HS2 version is indeed capable of outputting high-res PCM files as high-res PCM streams through its sp/dif output. The original version (non-HS2) of the link maxes-out at CD resolution though. But impressively the HS2 version is also capable of down-sampling high res files to play on the earlier Heos devices.

14. I was talking about the amazon echo link. It’s a perfect fit for my needs other than the fact that it doesn’t do high res... the heos link sounds like it has that last function I want but is priced too high for what really amounts to a curiosity... =/

I’ll keep that device in mind though! Thanks!

15. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

I've also been trying to find out this information with little luck.

16. telemike

Sonos Connect?

17. telemike

I know this would be a slight downgrade from my Rotel RA-12, but this has everything I need in one component. Phono input, HDMI inputs, DAC for DSD and streaming, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

timind likes this.
  18. I WOULD NOT consider replacing a Rotel unit with a different unit a viable alternative. You'd give up too much in the process.

19. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I agree. If you really want the ultra HD grab a standalone streaming unit.

PiperAtTheGates likes this.
  20. telemike

Yeah, the Rotel is my favorite amp I've had. I guess the Bluetooth streaming from my phone sounds good enough. I can't find any specs on the Bluetooth dongle.

21. telemike

using an echo input for now, at least it's cd quality for when I'm too lazy to put a CD or Record on

22. boyhitscar

boyhitscar Well-Known Member

does this work? for 24/192 and “bit perfect”..

iPhone X > “camera connector kit” (lightning to USB) > USB to micro USB > external DAC (Schiit Modi 3 for example)

23. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

When Amazon comes out with a device that can play 24/192 and/or 24/96 from the Amazon Music HD app, I will buy it.
    Hopefully it can be used with an external DAC and cost less than $200.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.