Amazon - Rare SACD cheap? Is this real?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MrJerry1876, Mar 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager Thread Starter

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this in, but a mod can move it if it is wrongly placed.

I was browsing Amazon today, and I came across a rare Super Audio CD for about $20-30 cheaper than I would think it should be. It is being sold by Goodwill, and I don't think I can return it if it turns out to not be the SACD. It doesn't say that I can, but it doesn't say that I can't. The reviews for the product are about the SACD, and in the title it says that it is an SACD as well. On the other hand, the description says that it is NOT discontinued by the manufacturer, but I know that the SACD is. Also, it says that the format is just an audio CD.

So my questions to any Amazon experts here are these: Is this actually a Super Audio CD? If I do buy it and it turns out not to be the SACD version, is there any way to get a refund?
    Thanks for helping me!

2. glide

glide Forum Resident

There’s really no way to say without the link.

If it’s sold on Amazon, regardless of who the seller is, you can always return the item if it is not as described.

3. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

my experience with goodwill is they list by upc number so if the upc number is correct for the sacd edition you should be good.

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  4. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

With Goodwill, expect some scratches.

5. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I just bought it a few minutes ago and will let you know when it arrives......:laugh:

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  6. moomoomoomoo

Since you bought it......what is it?!

7. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Aerosmith Rocks.........

8. moomoomoomoo

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Goodwill lists entirely by UPC, so if the listing is correct (description matches correct UPC on Amazon--usually but not always true), you'll get the SACD.

Goodwill lists nothing as better than "Good" condition. Usually it is much better than that.

SJP and MrJerry1876 like this.
  10. Amazon often allows listings of multiple versions of releases in a manner that can be confusing. See Toys in the Attic SACD:

Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic - Amazon.com Music

I would say only the $250 item offered by a third party seller is the SACD.

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  11. My guess also, it is listed for $14,970, rather than the normal $15,000.

stoopid likes this.
  12. moomoomoomoo

I don't trust listings like that, but you're right; Amazon is very return friendly. I wish these sellers would be a bit more careful

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

So the opposite of Decluttr, where they rate everything as Very Good :D

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Correct....

15. moomoomoomoo

I've placed 2 orders with Declutter & received 2 refunds for inaccurate grading.

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

We need the link - or at least the title of the SACD and the price asked.

The $20-$30 cheaper is meaningless in this context because we don't know what price you think it "should be".

If it "should be" $35, then the price is really low.

If it "should be" $300, then $20-$30 less isn't much.

MrJerry1876 and moomoomoomoo like this.
  17. moomoomoomoo

I suspect the OP didn't want someone else to buy it.

stoopid and MrJerry1876 like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I thought that too.

But it's a pretty useless discussion if we don't have the perspective of what the SACD is, what it's "supposed" to cost and what this copy costs.

Like I said, $25 off "supposed to be" price isn't a big deal if it's a $500 disc. If it's a $45 disc, though, that's a big difference.

shaboo and MrJerry1876 like this.
  19. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager Thread Starter

20. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Those Universal hybrid SACDs were available via BMG Music Service for quite a long time, so there should be plenty of used copies around. I'm not surprised that a copy of Captain Fantastic would be available for $30 now when it cost under $15 full retail when new and $4.99 from BMG. Surely there are more copies of these SACDs in the used marketplace than other SACDs that were never available new via a music club.

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  21. bresna

bresna Senior Member

That is very true. I still find these Elton John SACDs in the used bins around here quite often. They pressed a ton of them. To be honest, I don't even think they sound that great. For "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", I'll spin the MFSL gold CD before the SACD all the time. I usually only pull the SACD out if I'm in the mood for surround sound.

eelkiller, Dave and MrJerry1876 like this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, there were a few titles available from BMG for quite a while. Not a huge selection, but a few titles. And those were available cheaply. Several Elton John titles, Layla, The Carpenters Singles, etc. Because these were available cheaply for a long time, many are among the least valuable SACDs now. The Carpenters disc, however, has gotten pretty expensive.

Most/all have BMG codes in the barcode area, which some people don't like.

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  23. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Anyone dealing through Amazon can return and request a full refund if the purchase is not as listed. It's worth a punt on SACD titles listed, I've managed to pick up dozens via Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.