Amazon vs. AcousticSounds

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by M@ver1ck, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M@ver1ck

M@ver1ck Member Thread Starter

Looking at buying new mainstream vinyl - say the new released album by the now no longer Dixie - chicks.
    What’s the difference between vinyl quality between buying from amazon vs acousticsounds? The latter is $5 more. Just better packaging?

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

When they ship, definitely. :laugh:

3. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

The vinyl is the same. It's just that Amz can sell in quantity a bit cheaper than most retail outlets. Once an album has been released, you should be able to purchase it from Acoustic Sounds using their discount code which currently is 10% off. Often they offer a discount as much as 15% and I think once I snagged a 20% off. Two caveats: Amz ships free at $25.00; Acoustic Sounds ships free at $49, so you'll want to add another album or other merch to your order to avoid shipping. And lastly, Amz charges state tax; Acoustic Sounds does not. Of course, Acoustic Sounds will pack your vinyl like it was shipped from Fort Knox; as for Amz, you just may get your album with a shipping label stuck on the shrink wrap, or the album simply shipped in a white plastic bag. Can't always tell who's on drugs in the shipping dept. at Amz.

Myke likes this.
  4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I vote with my dollar, and definitely prioritize buying from my local brick and mortar record stores. Luckily I am in a great city for record stores, including one that gets in all the good MOFI, AP, MMJ, boutique audiophile label stuff. Also some great stores for used vinyl here. So I can meet like 90% of my needs locally.

After that, I like to order from Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds, with the occasional mail order from others like Elusive Disc or Music Matters Jazz. Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds have great customer service. Music Direct has taken excellent care of me quite a few times with after-purchase service of audio gear as well. So I am a big fan of theirs.

Also purchase quite a bit here through the forum classifieds.

Amazon would be last on my list for buying new vinyl. Our household gets enough other stuff from them anyway.

Myke likes this.
  5. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Acoustic Sounds gets my highest recommendation for selection, quick shipping, great customer service My favorite by far. Music Direct would be my second choice.

Myke and Echoes Myron like this.
  6. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Amazon won't want an arm and leg to export.

7. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds will put it in a vinyl mailer, Amazon almost definitely won’t.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.