Amp for Harbeth SHL5+?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by misterdecibel, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered Thread Starter

Why do people keep recommending integrated amps when I have stated that I own a preamp?

Classicrock and Strat-Mangler like this.
  2. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

The Belles Aria power amp or moboblocks could be interesting. I’ve thought about them for my C7es3s. Have been buning in an Aria Integrated with my P3esrs and it is really impressive: clean, precise, and very big (to use your word). Build seems solid and no nonsense.

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

Sorry, I'll change my recommendation to the Exposure 3010s2 power amp.

4. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

Some guy in another thread, who otherwise sounded quite sane, strongly condoned using a $158 Dayton amp with Harbeths. I am not making this up.

5. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

I like the Benchmark.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  6. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I'd like to make another suggestion. Consider Audio by Van Alstine, whose gear provides really good sound, quite remarkable for the price. You might consider the Vision SET amplifier or the Fet Valve 400R. I heard the latter quite extensively, and while it did not sound identical to a Pass X250.8 at three times the price, it was by no means a world of difference, and I imagine that some audiophiles would prefer the sound of the AVA. The Vision SET is a new AVA design that I've not heard, but Frank doesn't introduce new products unless they add something worth hearing.

AVA also has a 30-day return policy, so you can listen -- and decide -- at home.

(edited to correct my typos)

misterdecibel likes this.
  7. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Just playing some compilation stuff, Rock / country / soul.

Huge sound, tight and focused bass ( in no small part down to the silver reference inters from LFD),detailed and revealing (a balanced reveal using an SME 309 / delos).

I'd put the basics of LFD zero V / all silver interconnects up against any tube set up any day hooked to any Harbeth speaker. With a note that the zero V may be limited with any of the 40 range at volume.

8. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

In reading the tread before I got the feeling that Class A was the way to go for the OP.
    I do like my Benchmark amp however. This is a little like recommending what kind
    of pizza to get.

"all silver interconnects up against" I was happy to get the silver interconnects out of my system.
    I might try them for phono some day.

Mike-48 likes this.
  9. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Yep, until I hooked the LFD all silver into the line up I was seriously unimpressed with all that came before of that ilk.

rednedtugent likes this.
  10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

at or near your price point retail-

parasound a21
    rogue audio atlas magnum
    ps audio stellar m700

11. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Jeez, if you eliminate the Made In China, the Class D, and low powered tube stuff, the list really shrinks.

12. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

Well, I think my Lyngdorf class D amp really makes my HarBeth P3 sing. Then again it might be the preamp with Roomperfect that gives the biggest benefit with this amp.

Bubbamike likes this.
  13. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Lyngdorf products are fascinating to me. I am not mistaken, th4ey are heavily into DSP and room correction.

14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Albarry M608 monoblocks are a known match with Harbeth. Need a low output impedance pre to match well (solid state).

15. noway

noway Forum Resident

Would also recommend a used Bryston with a vintage that that you will still get lots of the 20-year warranty left.

16. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

How about Ayre's power amps?

17. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Which one? Last time I looked at Ayre products, every one I looked at was well above the OP’s “$2,500-ish” budget. Hopefully I’m mistaken!

18. Hifi Kenny

19. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Vinni Rossi's are way above your price range, the Parasound A21 is probably a good match. If you're willing to go Class D there are probably a number of choices.

20. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

my experience with shl5plus and amps are a bit limited but one thing ive noticed is that depending how loud you listen, even a class d 20watts amp may be all you need.

Im about to listen to my new AN kits el84 amp which is about 17 WPC. my pp dht 5 wpc 6b4g seemed to even drive the harbs as loud as I needed in my room.

how far are you away from the speakers?

21. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I think that if you cannot stretch the budget for the 2018 LFD Mistral then the Belles aria would make a fabulous match for you Harbeth's.

generubin, Ulises and Don Parkhurst like this.
  22. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Parasound A21

23. DanS

DanS Active Member

Quad 606/707/909 get a lot of love on the Harbeth user group forums: the monoblock 909 or QMP would be an interesting option.

Alan often pairs the SHL5+ with Hegel amps at shows, the h360 in particular. This is integrated (with a well regarded onboard DAC too), but they do sell a separate power amp, the h20

24. Hifi Kenny

Quad's Artera amp (140w with current dumping) would also worth considering. It's had good reviews with one saying that it's better than the 909.

Alan Shaw has said on HUG that he blew his Hegel amp and is having difficulty in getting it repaired by the manufacturer. It's very ironic given that he advises his forum members to check out the manufacturer's customer service before buying an amplifier. It seems odd that Shaw acquired a Hegel for demos at shows rather than a recent Quad, e.g. the Artera or Elite QSP.

Shiver likes this.
  25. DanS

DanS Active Member

Didn't know that about Alan's Hegel... perhaps one to avoid then!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.