Amp Upgrade For L100 Classics

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bqh691, Mar 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bqh691

Bqh691 Active Member Thread Starter

I recently bought a pair of JBL L100 Classics and am now looking to upgrade my amplifier (Sphinx V2).

Most of the reviews I’ve read online state that these are somewhat easy to drive, but I have my doubts. The are rated at 90db, however, they are 4-ohm and we’re tested at (2.83v/1m)—which leads me to believe they are actually around 87-88db.

I’d like to stick with class d design (thinking of going with the more powerful Rogue Pharaoh).

My question: will the Pharaoh damage the drivers since it’s 4-ohm rating is well above the l100s continuous power rating?

Also, I’m curious about Supernait and Luxman 505 if I decide to go different route than class d.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

I’ll hang up and listen.

enfield likes this.
  2. Lane4Imaging

Lane4Imaging Active Member

I own a pair of Classics myself. I think any high quality amp will drive them well. You already have a very good amp. I would upgrade your primary source if you have the bug. The JBLs like a quality power supply, I think you already have it. Good luck!

3. John Brunatti

John Brunatti Forum Resident

On a different note, no pun intended, how do you like the new JBL classic?? I am considering a pair to replace my JBL L112. I am also looking at the new Klipsch Heresy IV.

4. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

I can recommend the class D Marantz PM-KI Ruby for use with JBL's, It was a great match with my L82's.

Bqh691 and enfield like this.
  5. Bqh691

Bqh691 Active Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Funnily enough, I ordered an external dac to pair with a BS Node 2i which has sold me on the very thing you recommended trying (upgrade your source).

Long story short, the JBLs exposed the (very average) internal dac on the 2i. I thought the Rogue might have been too “flat” to push the JBLs, nope, it was the 2i dac.

6. Lane4Imaging

Lane4Imaging Active Member

Interesting. I owned a pair of Hersey 1 for many years only upgrading to the Classics when I learned of their existence. Don’t get me wrong, Klipsch speakers are excellent. However, while in high school in the mid-70s, my dream speaker was the original L100. No way I could afford $700 speakers on a $1.75 minimum wage job in those days! Now that I’m much older and can afford the new Classics, buying them with orange grills and stands was a no brainer. I’m sure the new Hersey IV is also a great speaker. I know that I’m delighted with my Classics.

7. Fitero

Fitero Well-Known Member

I too would be interested in reading comparisons between the L112 and the new L100 Classic. I wonder if there is enough difference in sound quality to merit the change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.