Amp Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bernard23, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Bernard23

Bernard23 Active Member Thread Starter

Current system
    Vinyl / Sonos Connect & Roon -> Denon PMA-600NE -> Elac DSR62 + Wharfedale sub

I stumbled almot by accdient acros the Denon amp, after I bought a late 1990s PMA-725R that was really impressive, but no digital connectivity that I need. It reviews well from the various sources I've found, some measurements too, but not a huge amount of info. I need more power, as it's a large room, it's a bit lacking in top end brightness for me (ageing ears) but the mid and espacially bass is impressive, it had great dynamics.

I am considering a couple of options:
    Yamaha A-S501 or 701
    Denon PMA 900HNE (same signature sound, plus additional connectivity and power)

Anyone have experience of comparing these directly, and / or with the Elacs?

2. From one Bernard to another, and as you live in the UK, i would suggest you give Cyrus Amps an audition. I am a huge fan and they offer a good after service. I am sure you will find a dealer nearby. Good luck

3. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I have the Yamaha 501 with ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2's and I like the amount of adjustments you can make with the tone controls and variable loudness...unless you go pure direct, lots of options.

danielbravo likes this.
  4. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Denon is really more famous for their home theater products. For two channel listening, between the ones you listed, I'd 100% choose the 701.

5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Depending on your budget (around £700 ?) you may be able to get a nice used Rega Elex R. If it’s higher there are some great deals currently around £1250/1300 (half price) for a new Cyrus XR i7.

6. Bernard23

In Europe, I'd argue that both yamaha and Denon share that association. Both are capable of producing more "pure" 2 channel systems though, like I said, the Denon was a big surprise to me, I expected a polite unexciting and coloured presentation. It's definitely not laid back, it's pretty wild when you turn it up, not the most refined presentation, but the excitement overcomes the small tonal imbalances. I noticed same characteristics with another set of Wharfedale speakers that I had previous to the Elacs.

7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i like the Denon amps, very solid performers similar to the Marantz line.
    Depending on your room size and if you find yourself wishing for more volume and dynamic punch an upgrade may not make sense and I doubt you would hear much difference.
    If you do want more volume and punch then get the Yamaha 701.

8. Bernard23

I thought about the Brio a while ago, and ignored it due to inconsistent user reviews. I also demo'd some Rega speakers years ago that were simply not as good the B&W that I bought, so another example of ignoring the mainstream press reviews. That said, on paper it looks OK, and I've found an ex dem from a good UK retailer for £888. The Cyrus is beyond my budget.

EDIT, just realised it has no digital inputs. I don't have a spare DAC other than the one in the Connect, which is pretty poor.

9. Bernard23

What about he Audiolab 6000? That keeps popping up in reviews and generally getting positive response, though some complaining of a lack of bass. It might provide slightly more clarity, but no more power....

10. Ttl

Ttl Member

Rega Brio now around £550 at many UK retailers. It is built well and sounds excellent too. Cyrus One Cast can be had for only a bit more and offers more features/flexibility too. I really like mine, and it never has any issues connecting to WiFi/Bluetooth. Audiolab 6000a - never heard it but reviews have been strong but I would not want anything that might move me closer to DTS. HEOS is problematic enough!

11. Bernard23

There's a non streaming version. I think I've found another solid contender - Cambridge Audio CAX81. Plenty of power, roon tested, BT, good onboard DAC, phono in, sub out. all boxes checked. Used one right now for 25% less than new, and it's still under warranty.

12. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

You're starting to get up there in price. At $1500, I'd be lookin at a used Parasound Hint. 160WPC. That'll take care of your power needs for sure.
    Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier 2x160w 8 Ohm USB DAC | eBay

avanti1960 likes this.
  13. Bernard23

The CA is up for £725. That's still quite a difference to $1500 at today's rates.

14. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Oh wow, I'll say. Sorry. Didn't realize you were in the UK.

15. Bernard23

Just to complete the story, I got the A-S501 from Amazon. I got given some vouchers, so the net cost was around £100. Denon up for sale. Similar presentations, yamaha goes louder and deeper bass, but sounds a bit less exciting. Smoother mids and treble though, we're talking small differences, not your typical exaggerated audiophile hyperbole. The phono stage is not great on the yamaha, but I have a separate amp already for that. DAC is perfectly acceptable. Its big though, so I had to buy a bigger equipment rack.
    Preordered the nad CS1 streamer, so that will add some hi res streaming should I need it, and easier to connect Roon, tidal, Spotify etc, and maybe a slightly better dac, who knows. Probably inaudible in practice.

Ttl likes this.