And the next Dr Who is?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gibson67, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Where are you Simon

Where are you Simon Well-Known Member

My son and I gave up watching when Peter became the Doctor.
    However we did watch some of the last series with he got a new assistant and Matt Lucas.
    I have always liked Jodie's work and think she will be the breath of fresh air the show has needed for a long time.
    I think she will be a brilliant doctor.

Willowman and alan967tiger like this.
  2. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

To paraphrase Lennon somewhat 'Doctor Who died when it went into the nineties'
    I'm ambivalent.
    Great for the show but a little ill at ease for my own nostalgic ways. I feel like the baton is being passed to the new fans now, I just don't care...
    I've still got '63 to '89, that was real Who for me! Currently about to embark on 'The Mutants' with good ol' Jon Pertwee in my Who marathon!

Deep, deep down, I really wanted a talking cabbage to be the new Doctor. Just once...

Siegmund likes this.
  3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Cannot say that I am as worried as you are since the premise that Bill's ethnicity/sexual orientation was handled with "heavy-handed finger-wagging at the audience" strikes me as a false. It was treated very matter of factly when it was referenced, IMHO.

Chris DeVoe, zobalob, Deesky and 2 others like this.
  4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

An example. When they went back to Victorian (?) London Bill was concerned that her skin colour would be a problem during that period. Then they made a big point about how there were people of colour in London at that time, which is the BBC trying to lead the world on a subject in which they are probably the greatest offender (whitewashing casts in period drama). Then at the end of the episode when the villain is outraged that Bill is sitting in his presence, The Doctor actually punches him, because evidently virtue signalling is more important than [his/her] liveslong belief that violence should be a last resort.

On the sexual orientation thing, Bill and a bunch of Romans sit around in a cave when their lives are in immediate danger and chat about gender orientation so that the audience can be instructed that it wasn't really a big deal in the Classical period.

5. silverhead

silverhead Give them an inch and they will take a mile

Next stop, a black doctor,a lgbt doctor,a disabled doctor,have i missed anyone?.Got to give everyone their moment in the sun.Just cause it's always been so does not mean it has to change.

6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

A black Doctor would probably be less controversial than a female Doctor. As for an LGBT Doctor, the Doctor may not have a concept of sexuality in the first place.

LivingForever likes this.
  7. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

And, after they change the sonic screwdriver to a sonic lipstick and pack the first 6 episodes with "I have tits now jokes," and the addition of a "magic" purse that's bigger on the inside to house all her neat-o sci-fi gadgets, the pandering will become obvious.

So, we can have an older, scruffy, craggy male actor in the role, but the female has to be young and hot.

Yeah, lots of progress there.

Welcome to the 21st century, by way of the 1950's.

:(

I still want the first female Doctor to be Jennifer Saunders. Oh well, she got her chance, all 30 seconds of it.

:(

Gonna miss Capaldi, unlike the usual New Doctor Flowchart, I loved him from the second I heard about his casting, and he exceeded my expectations. Wonderful Doctor. I especially loved his flash cards.

I've got some serious problems with the new show, mostly the hyper-stories and how much fantasy they've injected (not to mention turning the sonic screwdriver into a magic wand) but, for some reason I keep watching.

But, yeah, given the political climate and the state of the world in regards to these issues... Doing this now, and in the way it's been done feels like pandering, like a gimmick casting to pop a reaction. It may not be, this may have been planned for a long time, and that may not be the showrunner's intentions... But it sure is coming across that way.

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Again, I did not perceive it as heavy handed. It was done matter of factly and with a bit of humor, which is about the best you can do. It's not like they were building whole episodes around it.

9. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

She's 35, I believe.

Well older than Matt Smith was. And about the same age as Tennant was (which surprises me - I thought DT was younger than that).

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Interesting how a 35 year old woman is referred to as a girl, round these parts.

11. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Are you over 15? Then it's not really aimed at you. No reason why it should appeal.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  12. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

How about 'chick' then? o_O

Just seeing your avatar makes me think Simon Day would be a great Doctor!

13. Where are you Simon

I think most of the old Fast Show actors would make good doctors.
    Even some of the characters they created would be good.

14. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I reckon John Actor could nail it.

15. Where are you Simon

Thinking about it.
    The Fast Show could do a brilliant Doctor Who comedy special.
    Ted in bits because his sheep have all been killed by the Daleks.
    Open the tardis door, Today Im mostly wearing silly hats and scarves.
    The tardis is like a beautiful women.
    The Cybermen in Jazz club. Nice.
    The Doctor getting a fitting for a new outfit. Suits you sir.

And the list goes on.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  16. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Will take a TARDIS to get there now. My only issue is:
    The Doctor
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    Head of UNIT
    [​IMG]

17. Haristar

Nothing to say that UNIT will be a part of Chibnall's time on the show, or that it'll have the same leader, though.

Colin M likes this.
  18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Is there even an audience for Dr. Who anymore?
    Has the Internet Destroyed Dr. Who?
    When it comes to Dr. Who, millennials have no filters, and that's great!
    Not Interested In New Dr. Who episodes?
    Honestly, why would anyone want eight hundred Dr. Who episodes in their pocket?

19. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Any missing ones in that lot perhaps? :whistle:

20. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

True, would love them to leave Earth alone for a series or two. Greatest fear is a whole series of "no I really am The Doctor"

Haristar likes this.
  21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I think it's 839 in total (I actually had to look that up) :)

22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I've not watched the new series for many, many years because it's not really aimed at my demographic (45+and remembers the old series). Tbh, Doctor Who stops for me at The Talons Of Weng Chiang.

However: the new series is a very distinct beast from the old series. The programme now has a large female fanbase - possibly as large, or even larger, than its male fanbase (though I've no statistics to back that up), so I see this as a sensible (and a positive) move. Already it's knocking Brexit negotiations and other stories off the top news spot - which proves that, in the short term at least, it's worked!

23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I don't think he does. One of the disturbing things about the new series has been the show runners' desire to place the Doctor in romantic/semi-sexual situations with humans and other alien species. He is a Time Lord - the most advanced form of life anywhere, ever, so the idea of him having a sexual relationship with a human is a bit like the concept of a human having a sexual relationship with a goat.

goodiesguy and tkl7 like this.
  24. Haristar

I was referring more to sexual orientation. The Doctor wouldn't necessarily know the difference between straight or gay.

25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

No: nor that, either.

goodiesguy and Haristar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.