ANK 300B Interstage Monoblocks

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jaytor, Oct 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaytor

Jaytor DIY Enthusiast Thread Starter

I have read good things about these, but their filament current requirement is 1.8A (compared to 1.2A for most 300Bs). I'm not sure my filament supplies would handle that without overheating.

2. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

OP Jaytor: This is one impressive thread and you should be congratulated for your skills, knowledge, and willingness to share -- know these take a bit of time to produce.
    You might want to check out the new reincarnation of the Westinghouse 300B tubes -- still made here and with the original designs and techniques. Reviews have been very solid; around $1500 a matched pair. Use Gold Lions in my modest 300B monos but they sound perfectly fine.
    Will be interested in your listening assessments and hope you can report on several genres -- classical, jazz and pop/rock.

jonwoody likes this.
  3. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Make that Western Electric and nice recommendation.

Acapella48 likes this.
  4. AudioAddict

Whoops! Stand corrected and thanks jonwoody.

jonwoody likes this.
  5. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Beautiful Babieh...!

6. Classic Car Guy

Definitely gonna add this on my 300b amp. I'm getting tired of warming up my "pre"- preamp section before I fire up my main amp. I stand next to it like 2 mins before contact.
    Looks beautiful man. Great job!

jonwoody likes this.
  7. Jaytor

Thanks folks.

The Western Electric reissues are the other 300Bs I’ve been seriously considering.

I think right now I’m leaning toward the Takatsukis if I can get them for a similar price.

jonwoody likes this.
  8. Classic Car Guy

3-big-one$ for the set of 4..:-plnktn-:

9. Classic Car Guy

You might wanna try these Acme Mesh tubes. Its actually 35% bigger and wider than the Western Electric tubes. The sound projection on my amp has over 30% more bass, more 3D depth, warmer and more power. Its should be an interesting output tube roll. Both tubes are really good in their own way. I can easily determine the big difference between the two for I been running the Psvance WE300 copy in 8 solid months without any tube roll.

[​IMG]

jonwoody and trd like this.
  10. Jaytor

I spent some time reading every review and forum post I could find on the Takatsukis and WE Reissues. These seem to both be equally well regarded with the Takatsukis having a bit of an edge at the frequency extremes and the WEs having the edge in the midrange. Since my speakers have separate powered woofer towers and my old ears don't hear very far into the top octave, I decided the WE reissues were the better choice. Also, these are more easily purchased as a matched quad and the five year warranty is reassuring. Supporting a US manufacturing business is nice as well.

So, I ordered a matched quad set of the WE 300Bs last week. Despite the fact that it says on their website that orders are taking 30 days to fill, I already have a shipping confirmation and they should be here in the next couple of days.

I'm looking forward to see what these can do compared to the cheap Linlais that came with the kit.

Encore and jonwoody like this.
  11. finn

finn Forum Resident

Comparisons done between the Takatsuki and current WE reissue tubes are actually reversed from your interpretation. The Takatsuki midrange is superior and the WE has a more dominant bass weight which is immediately noticeable. Top end extension is similar. Both represent excellent value in new production 300b so you won’t be disappointed with your choice.

Classic Car Guy and jonwoody like this.
  12. Classic Car Guy

My next 300b tube purchase will be more focused on more magical midrange and upper brightness. My favorite 300b amp has no problem with lower frequency since its a push-pull. Plus this is the time I can use my other stashes of several warm sounding preamp tubes which will be a perfect combination for this tube. I was thinking about more on a black plate construction and doesn't necessarily have to be an Acme. I don't think I can afford to get a WE especially I need 4. But I can go like $1,000.00 for a pair x 2. Any takes?

[​IMG]

13. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

New production WE 300B's are around $1,500 pr. -- Partsconnexion is your best bet for Tak's, otherwise you're looking at $2K for them. Another alternative that is just a bit less than the WE's would be Audio Note's 4300E.

I have both the WE's and the Audio Note's. Currently running the Audio Note tubes. Still breaking in but sound excellent.

jonwoody likes this.
  14. finn

finn Forum Resident

There is sometimes a false value associated with tubes given anticipated life duration and actual. You may think Takatsuki tubes are expensive as an initial purchase but I know users who are still running them 10 years after the first purchase and they still sound great and measure very well. By the flip side, you might have gone through 3 or 4 pairs of cheaper tubes that have now cost considerably more than the original Takatsuki price. You would have listened to an inferior sounding tube all that time and have spent more. Until you actually hear what these or the WE tubes offer then you really are not making a balanced decision.

Encore, jonwoody and Tlay like this.
  15. Classic Car Guy

I agree and 100%. I'm in a verge of facing an upcoming and additional endgame amp. So maybe that's why I was thinking about money.
    Anyways what is this Takatsuki tubes if were talking about more magic midrange?

jonwoody likes this.
  16. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Never tried anything from them, or even heard a 300B, but KR Tubes seems interesting (if nothing else).

17. AudioAddict

Have a modest set of 300B monoblocks that were Nobsound's attempt at the "high-end" market. Nobsound/Douk Audio had a small number of quality Japanese transformers, European and American caps, American fittings, and a few original JJ Tesla 300B tubes and they decided they would use these to offer the best tube product they could and test the "high-end" market.
    Ordered a pair when they first came out and were advertised on Amazon -- sounded so good immediately got a second pair. Have now replaced the Tesla tubes with Gold Lions and could tell the different strengths of both tubes immediately. Tesla has better bass (much) and the Gold Lions are stronger in treble response and clarity.
    Am looking at the WE tubes to take these modest monos to another level but am wondering if amps this modest would benefit fully from the upgrade -- since they will cost slightly more than the original amps themselves. Your opinions would be appreciated.
    They sound great now and are currently being mixed with the other 3 amps in my setups -- a pure Class A SS amp, a Pass M2x, and an Emotiva XPA-1. My current amp switching goes to the tubes immediately when acoustic instruments are predominant. Timbral accuracy is their forte. Damping is not...
    Nobsound had great success with sales, depleting their original run in a matter of weeks but fell afoul of Amazon distribution. They advertised and gave expedited shipping from Shenzhen, China to the states as part of the ~$1250 price for two. Looked over the UPS bill on both sets purchased and their mailing cost to my US homes was right at $500. So this meant they were getting $750 a pair less whatever Amazon was charging them. Expedited shipping didn't last on Amazon. They are still available here:
    Nobsound 300B Monoblock Vacuum Tube Integrated Amplifiers Class A HiFi Power Amp (doukaudio.com)
    Says the parts are still quality. Checked on my set and they are completely accurate.

18. Classic Car Guy

Looks like an old western electric monoblocks and looks good. I have no experience with that amp although I have a lot and long experience with Chinese amps that require more attention than a normal US or European amps. What I can suggest to you is bring your amp to a technician that you really trust and will give you an honest assestment so you can figure out what is the best solution before getting a high dollar tube.
    My experience with a "KT88" (not 300b) Chinese amp was a love and hate. started failing left and right after 2 years. Besides eating tubes abnormally, the amp was not even pumping out 26 watts out of 40. So there was a lot of dialing and replacing that ended up costing me more in headaches.
    But they can be saved depending on what is needed to be done. Better if you ask your amp guy. I know a trusted amp tech but he is in Canada and he's very busy as of right now building other custom amps... Maybe some of these guys can recommend you something.

19. AudioAddict

CCG: There are no "amp guys" in my two locales and am a studio person with all the equipment and measurement skills. These tubes are right at 10 watts output each and have been rock steady and day-to-day performers.
    With Tekton speakers they are loud enough to blow you away.
    Measurements aside, wonder if any of the SHers have upgraded to a WE tube with a modest amp and can report their experiences.

20. Classic Car Guy

I was about to double check these tubes for they are exactly 2 years now running a minimum of 5 hours a day in a year. Every 6 months I rotate them. Obviously its running conservatively and still in 100% which is not bad for its value. I will have to audition other tubes so I can get a different flavor from time to time. The one thing I notice from the Acme, it heats up my room beyond the normal WE specs.

[​IMG]

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  21. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Looking at 300B prices makes me glad I have a 2a3 amp. ;)

SandAndGlass and Classic Car Guy like this.
  22. Classic Car Guy

Definite. I gotta really watchout especially with a dual 300b.
    I wanna get a live audition locally with a black plate tubes. these reading I got hopefully will maintain my amp purring.
    Not looking not bad at all, pretty balanced and consistent for an okay tube.
    Tube roll chart:
    2-65
    3-66
    4-66

Install 2 new on
    1-66
    2-66
    Roll
    3-67
    4-66
    2-66
    3-67
    4-66

Continuous roll and interchange
    1-67
    2-66
    3-66
    4-65

23. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

But you gotta have 2a3 speakers.

SandAndGlass and jonwoody like this.
  24. Classic Car Guy

??

25. Classic Car Guy

I didn't recognize you from your new icon. How's it going and any new amps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.