Annoying Things On ' Their Satanic Majesties Request '

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jun 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

imagine referencing the Beatles on your album, after they referenced you on theirs. ...and then imagine 2 of them are actually playing on it....and...wait for it....a couple of you sing backup on All You Need Is Love.....now why would anyone reference the Beatles?

Wil1972 and DK Pete like this.
  2. APH

APH Forum Resident

How do we feel about Stray Cat Blues these days? Or even Midnight Rambler? I find them both more ‘annoying’ than anything on Satanic.

3. APH

APH Forum Resident

Both albums in my collection, both staying there, love them, but if we’re looking for problems with the Stones catalog, that’s where I’d start, to be honest

4. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

i think we got our prickly pear comments fleshed out on Sgt Peppers a few months ago?

5. Jayce

Jayce Forum Resident

I wouldn’t change a thing. My favorite Stones album and the one I listen to more than any other by a mile.

6. 7solqs4iago

start?? the start of the epic super-fabulous era with the next album, for a few more...

unclefred likes this.
  7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't know about "we" but I love them both. They, also, are very much of their time period albeit very different from anything on SMR. For me, The Stones couldn't do much wrong between and including Aftermath and Sticky Fingers. I love the material and atmosphere each one of those albums convey and doe so very effectively (intentionally or not).

8. 7solqs4iago

what's your second choice?

9. 7solqs4iago

for moral content? or for aesthetic enjoyment?

not a fan of live performance for them, so MR's highest moments have not moved me

have to remind myself that many in my life have never "heard" or memorized the lyrics, odd but true

10. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I don't mind On With The Show, in fact I like it. The second half of Gomper sucks, get rid of the Sing This reprise and put at the very least Dandelion on it. Now we're talking.

But then, I think we could find annoyances on most any album.

11. APH

APH Forum Resident

Satanic is an album where the dodgy lyrics and sleazy attitude are missing, perhaps a negative for some, could be a positive? I like the Stones sound meeting psych lyrics and weird production- makes a change at least

12. 7solqs4iago

and the inner sleeve and that maze were enjoyed back in the day

only topped by...

[​IMG]

13. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

My only complaint is that 2 of their best songs from the psychedelic era were reserved for a single, the brilliant We Love You and Dandelion.

Otherwise this is an excellent album for the psychedelic era.

And people, quit trying to say it was a Beatles rip off. The Stones didn't take their psychedelic adventures half as seriously as people like to claim, especially the cover.

Loosen up and listen. There hasn't and never will be another album quite like it.

14. I guess I missed the 3D Sgt. Pepper cover. And Beatles invented bright colors.... it never ends.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  15. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

As a snorer myself... I love the snoring!

16. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Not a maze

17. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Love the album, hate the sing this all together tracks...

18. Paper Shark

Paper Shark Forum Resident

Nothing annoys me on this album.
    I enjoy it just as it is. Definitely unique.

19. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Well, for 1967.....

20. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

I guess you're right. It's not like they intentionally got the same photographer for the cover shoot. And it's not like the photographer's son said something crazy like:

"Well, Sgt. Pepper was such a tremendous success, of course the Stones wanted to jump on that bandwagon and take advantage of it. So they went to Michael as a friend and said, “Look, you’ve done Sgt. Pepper. We want to do a similar type of thing with Satanic Majesties.” Typical of Michael, he wanted to take it one step further, so he said, “Okay, let’s do a 3-D cover.”

The Stones were just bursting with originality and it was a total coincidence that both of these albums happened to come out around the same time. They probably didn't even know The Beatles' faces were hidden in the artwork. What the hell was I thinking?!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

I'm a snorer and my wife doesn't love it.

22. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like the album, although I can live without Sing This All Together (See What Happens), which I usually skip, as one does with, say, Revolution 9. Of the rest, Gomper is the weakest, and could easily be excised for Dandelion (We Love You can be excluded, I think it's a little weak too)

Mister Charlie likes this.
  23. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

On with the show sounds like a "between the buttons" outtake I wonder if it was, it's like a vaudeville music Hall style song like "something happened to me yesterday"

24. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

I like this album a lot in fact. They could of left the Cosmic Christmas oscillator thing but it's not that bad.. I guess the obvious thing is imagine if they added we love you and dandelion then it wouldn't have been a second guesser album.

25. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

Precisely. That's one of the reasons why I love it. It's a very strange curiosity as parts of it are rather tongue in cheek then other parts are pretty dark.

Bear in mind also with all the dramas Mick, Keith and Brian went through in 1967, its almost miraculous they managed to complete this album. It is what it is - a truly unique Rolling Stones album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.