Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Another 12AU7 / ECC82 Tube recomendation needed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PJC68, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

Yes, that's why he charges a premium price.
    After measuring them, the dealer noise-tests by inserting the valve into a headphone amp with high gain and listening. He'll tap on the valve to check for microphonics, any ringing and the tube is no good. Not every dealer is set up to do this.

PJC68 likes this.
  2. Lowrider75

An ordinary 12AU7 RCA is very inexpensive over here, mil-spec cost a bit more.

BrentB likes this.
  3. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That must be a pain in the ass to test every tube like that, i have watched some of kevins videos and thought he knows his stuff

4. Lowrider75

Yeah, he really knows valves. Always sells the highest quality because he knows where to find them and then does his noise testing procedure.
    I usually buy from Brent Jessee who has a larger inventory and best of all, he gives a trial period and accepts returns. I once went through 3 or 4 sets of tubes until I found what I liked.

5. Lowrider75

If Brent tests the returned valve and it no longer tests as new, then you only get a partial refund. But it works for me since I'm a tube roller. It's become an addiction.

6. PJC68

what did you find the best tubes, it can be costly this tube rolling

7. Lowrider75

Are you asking what are the best tubes I found?
    It depends on which circuit you're using them in; amp gain stage, amp driver, preamp.
    I guess the best for my taste could be the Tung Sol 12AU7 blackplate black glass. Very rare from 1950's, 60's. Transparent, good detail, dynamic with airy highs, a wide and deep soundstage. Midrange is accurate and realistic.

I love the Brimars, I have the CV4003 boxplates and the ECC82 longplates. Also CV492 which are supposed to be the same as 4003.

8. PJC68

sorry, I meant pre amp tubes, I like a clear balanced sound from top to bottom, don’t like bright, hard, Boomy sounding tubes
    If these Brimars sound great after 3 weeks I will be buying another matched pair or two
    I do like the solid imaging these tubes provide though, the bass is slightly boomy and deep, I put that down to lack of burn in