Another Day, Another Paul McCartney Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmxw, Feb 19, 2021.

1. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I have this...worth it for the videos of those first two songs alone...watch them repeatedly....love them and reminds me how good this era was. I particularly enjoyed Solo Paul especially in the twentieth century but he’s done some incredible stuff in this century too.

2. joy stinson

Frank..you know you always slay with me...but be gentle with my friend as she’s a newer fan but has learned so much now ...does so much better than me now...as she’s read so much and much of what I’ve read I’ve forgotten with my seizure trouble now.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Frank likes this.
  3. joy stinson

He made a hilarious announcement when he turned 40 I remember that he quit wearing briefs and tight pants because they hurt but very recently I’ve seen him wear very tight pants....with his very skinny legs in his old age.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Autotune Sucks likes this.
  4. joy stinson

A man online has a site called disco puurfection and does extended versions of disco songs and has an incredible mix of goodnight, tonight..gave the great maxi single 12 inch of this.

5. GolemZGLM

GolemZGLM Forum Resident

omikron, Hep Alien and joy stinson like this.
  6. joy stinson

Truly my..Macca song today..yesterday I had a most shocking forum experience, worst have ever had...multi SHF posters targeted and dog piled on my about my posts, posting tendencies, long posts as they prefer drive by brief posts, my posting frequency and rambling repetition, it kept going so I ultimately reported the thread and mods erased it...

As I’m disabled with walking and balance and have medically uncontrollable seizures and the forum posting is an outlet for memory recall, formulating my thoughts and keeping up writing skills, this was highly personally offensive and discouraging to me...

Jmxw, thanks for dedicating this song to me...co write by laine, but..truly the man McCartney is an optimist and encourages others to be that.,,You don’t know what this song means to me..especially now.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    SteveCooks, omikron, 905 and 3 others like this.
  7. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan Thread Starter

Thanks for the thanks.

I sometimes wonder if my posts come across as too jokey, without adding any substance to the discussion. [Although, when it comes to 70's solo Big Sir Mac, I usually either know or can find good info..]

So I am glad to receive your validation. Some can get snarky or even downright insulting sometimes, but let's not forget, we enjoy the music, that's why we are all here... :cheers:

joy stinson likes this.
  8. joy stinson

Yeah..having to pep talk myself what you say..but they got beyond snarky...as were, tarring and feathering me..Thanks got your support and concern. Mobs can get vicious ...

905, Chief and jmxw like this.
  9. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

The SHF forum is an interesting beast. I’ve been burned a couple times, had some detractors, and taken long breaks. I come back, ultimately, because I find that there are more knowledgeable people here about a wider range of topic than in most other boards, including boards dedicated to one artist.

Fortunately, we can take breaks, ask for threads to be deleted, and hit the “ignore” button. And the mods do a pretty good job at keeping the peace.

10. joy stinson

All you say is true in every way, the great and the bad. Hate the loss of some good knowledge on thread deleting but the good has to suffer for the bad. To start with, I didn’t put folks on ignore hoping could learn from everyone but found some obvious threadcrappers and trolls of the artists or of me occasionally so had to resort to it when they kept on which caused my responses to get banned for bickering and I hadn’t learned any useful info from their posts.

Likewise, didn’t report posts and threads, and have only a few times but subsequently learned better to than to let things get completely out of hand. Mods have done ok but I understand they’re understaffed and all volunteers.

I use the rule now mostly for ignoring folks...will they cause me to get in trouble with mods and/or most importantly, have I learned any useful stuff from them? If they’ve provided useful info, I give them an early jail break.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    905 and Chief like this.
  11. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I'm always on the lookout for Wings covers. This came out today.

Low Cut Connie - Let Me Roll It

(Swear word warning if you're sensitive to that)

12. joy stinson

Extraordinary performance...captures the very essence of the song as was done on BOTR album and WOA live album. It’s good to see that these old great songs haven’t gone by the wayside and that wings aren’t denigrated by younger artists as they are by some all over social media...after all,the young hipsters are basically responsible for reviving and appreciating ram.

Frank likes this.
  13. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Still loving 3. His best music in a long career. Amazing that he would create music that overshadows everything he has ever recorded so far along. Not a bad song. Each song a masterpiece. He really channeled Prince and Jack White on 3. By far the best music he has ever done. Real catchy and not thought out. Love 3. Paul Mcartneys greatest triumph is 3.

Durango88, jmxw and joy stinson like this.
  14. jesse

jesse Forum Resident

Oh, that is a nice one! I am currently going through the McCartney catalogue A-Z searching for covers on youtube. Found some great, some ok, some godawful.... I appreciate any directives to the goodies!

joy stinson likes this.
  15. Greenalishi

16. Greenalishi

17. Greenalishi

18. joy stinson

I keep listening to it...really like it...but man has done some great stuff throughout his long career...much of it forgotten except by his most devout fans....it’s difficult for me to claim it...overshadows his earlier stuff but great some folks think so...because the constant thing about him is that he was usually moving forward and progressing. He’s the type of artist who is so varied even his own fans can’t agree on his...best output, best album, best song, etc.

lavalamp3 likes this.
  19. Greenalishi

Really interesting the consensus of the pinnacle stature of 3. Coming after the horrible Egypt stuff and many sugary pop albums this is just universally praised as his greatest musical achievement.

20. joy stinson

This guy gives an incredibly different take on McCartney...as a musician and as a man. His takes on things are...opposite from that of many of the various reviewers throughout his solo era....One thing I disagree with reviewer on is macca not having anxiety....though he’s not obviously anxious. I completely agree with the guy about really loving the weird side of McCartney. I also drastically disagree with guy...that...long and winding road is ..inarguably worst Beatles song, a very contemporary notion, as song narrates the ..describes entire Beatles story. Very funny...he calls macca the..best non drummer in r n roll, as social media has widely ridiculed macca drumming for years.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  21. joy stinson

I happen to...really like the albums you don’t and those you discount as..,”sugary pop, “ as don’t see them as that but rather as albums indicative of their eras, styles and sounds...and I see...ES as far superior to maccaIII...but it’s so interesting how his fans....and reviewers....drastically disagree on his best and worst, what they love and hate. Thanks so much for posting this...I don’t have your love for the album and don’t agree with all of the reviewers points...but it causes me to reconsider as a good review should .

I remember in his very long solo career from very beginning as you probably do too when ....reviews of Paul went from...notions of “all or most of his solo sucks” or “ his solo has sucked since such and such album or era”....lol....to...the 21st century notion of.....” does Paul McCartney still have it?”....Somehow he went from...”sucking”...to holding on to....what he had at some undetermined time...This guy was very interesting....thinking TLAWR was Beatles “worst song” but admittedly liked obla di. From my reading fan’s reviews online, I don’t see a consensus that they think macca III is pinnacle stature, though some do, though critics loved it as have most of his 21st century albums in opposition to their hatred of his 20th century albums.

lavalamp3 likes this.
  22. Frank

Frank Senior Member

III is generally liked (by fans). There is no "consensus" though. It's just that the people who don't like it much have stopped talking about it because people don't keep talking for five months about things they don't like.

dunkoid and joy stinson like this.
  23. joy stinson

Probably true...I’ve read mostly good things by fans who probably like it better than I do ...but have read several negative fan and some non fan notions of it. Your point is correct with exception of those long term past macca solo bashers who talked for...many years about...macca albums and eras or just not liking his solo period.... they didn’t like. I really like the reimagined versions...IMO brought the songs out.

24. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

FWIW, McC 3 scores 3.17 on Rate Your Music, which compares with Ram 3.95, BOTR 3.88, Flaming Pie 3.64 and Chaos 3.72. It does, however, score more highly than Egypt Station's 2.98, plus Pipes of Peace, Broad Street and Press To Play. Not that this matters hugely.

For me, McC 3 is lower-tier McCartney and on a par with Egypt Station as a solid 3 out of 5. However, I enjoy listening to it - especially Find My Way, Women and Wives, Slidin and Deep Down - which is all that really matters.

Incidentally, I've recently been listening to the outtakes in the White Album (WA) Super Deluxe Edition, which has been pure bliss. 40 years or so after I first heard WA, it's like having a whole new 150-minute long WA to explore and enjoy. :)

Frank and joy stinson like this.
  25. joy stinson

Those cited Macca album ratings on average probably agree with those of most folks all ages of folks averaged but before internet and even in days of reading dinosaur critics in mags, I found my views of albums at times didn’t agree with those of majority of folks just even in my peer group. I find for me personally especially older I get is all that matters with any album or song or even overall artist is if you individually enjoy it, want to keep relistening to it...or ,as in my case , drag some albums or songs out many years later to reevaluate. I’ve realized in last decade or so BOTR has gone down and ram has risen with general public, all according to musical and recording styles fads and tastes. I’d rate Beatles lower now simply because I’m so burned out over them but that wouldn’t be an accurate reflection of their music intrinsically or what all they brought to music. I do read rate your music but don’t absorb it as my opinions. I’m very grateful Macca is still making music, and agree macca iii for me lower tier but think ES rates higher.

Cledwyn and PaperbackBroadstreet like this.