Another Dylan comp coming up

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peerke, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peerke

peerke Senior Member Thread Starter

http://bobdylan.com/index.html

DEFNINITIVE BOB DYLAN RETROSPECTIVE
    SET FOR WORLDWIDE RELEASE OCTOBER 1
    3-CD DYLAN To Feature 51 Tracks Spanning Five Decades
    Extensive Liner Notes And Never-Before-Seen Photos Highlight Deluxe Edition

18-Song 'Best Of' Collection To Be Released Concurrently

A career-spanning, three-CD retrospective of Bob Dylan's music - DYLAN - will be released worldwide on October 1 by Columbia Records. This definitive Bob Dylan collection chronicles the artist's four decades of groundbreaking studio recordings, as well as his unparalleled influence on popular music and culture.

According to Sony BMG Commercial Music Group President John Ingrassia, "Each new generation eventually discovers what millions of people the world over have known for decades: That Bob Dylan is a singular artist whose songs and recordings represent the very best that music has to offer. This DYLAN set will provide a comprehensive introduction to an important body of work that continues to impact our culture and attract multitudes of new fans each year."

Song selection for this comprehensive set is still being determined, and will be greatly influenced by impassioned fan lobbying on website dylan07.com. This site, which went live in February for fans to share thoughts on Bob Dylan's music, swap stories about first hearing the artist's songs and seeing him in concert, and more, has been updated today with the DYLAN artwork, a promotional trailer for the album, as well as the ability for fans to vote on the DYLAN track listing.

Visitors to dylan07.com will also find details on a forthcoming online photo exhibit, in which notable fans from the worlds of music, film, art and fashion will contribute images inspired by Bob Dylan. Fans will be able to contribute images, as well, and a winner will be chosen by one of the celebrity photographers to receive a Sony Alpha digital camera and have his or her image included in the exhibit.

Two additional versions of DYLAN will be released simultaneously with the 3-CD set: A deluxe edition featuring the three disks in a cloth covered case, and accompanied by an extended booklet of classic and rare Dylan imagery plus 10 limited edition postcards highlighting pivotal moments of Bob's career. The "Best Of" edition that will feature 18 songs on a single disk.

Bob Dylan is one of the world's most popular and acclaimed songwriters, musicians and performers, having sold more than 90 million albums and performed literally thousands of shows around the world in a career spanning five decades. His most recent album, Modern Times - lauded by critics around the world and selling more than 2.5 million copies to date -- entered the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart at #1, as well as debuting within the Top Five in 21 other countries. His previous studio albums, Time Out Of Mind and Love & Theft have been among his most commercially successful and critically lauded, each having sold more than a million copies and earning Grammy nominations for Album Of The Year (Time Out Of Mind won that award in 1998).

In 2001, he received a Golden Globe and an Academy Award for best song from a motion picture for "Things Have Changed" from the movie Wonder Boys. Dylan's Chronicles - Volume I, his recent memoirs released in October, 2004, was a world-wide best seller, spending 19 weeks on The New York Times Bestseller List. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988 and the Songwriters Hall Of Fame in 1982.

Bob Dylan remains one of the world's top touring artists, performing more than 100 concerts yearly around the globe.

2. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Can't see where you can vote for tracks!

Tricky business, all the ardent fans will vote for obscure favourites, and it might fail to appeal to the more casual buyers who form the majority.

Not that we need another Best Of.

Tim

3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Does he think if he calls it Dylan that we'll forget about the other Dylan?

4. houston

houston Forum Resident

problem is, didn't we sort of vote here for tunes on the recent Elton John compilation?..we did, in fact, and I seem to recall that most of us chose some album cuts, i.e., Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, that were not placed on the comp....if it happenned with Elton, it would be magnified by a power of 3 with Dylan...so it doesn't matter:rolleyes: Sony will shove Like a Rolling Stone and Lay Lady Lay on us for the 24th time, regardless of our wishes:laugh:

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

If they expect the hardcore fans to pick it up, they'll have to have some unreleased material on there. If you already have the catalog, there won't be much point in buying this set.

6. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

If you go to the Dylan07 website, they only state that it will be a definitive Best Of and that the Deluxe Edition will feature unreleased photographs...

7. jpm-boston

jpm-boston Forum Resident

Any talk of a vinyl version of this set?

8. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i'll be very curious to hear how this sounds....some of the inclusions will have been included on their touted SACD phase...curious if they use those redbooks or do them all again and will it be better, worse, the same? Dylan seems to have an ear and opinions about this, there had been a thread about something he said around Modern Times release....

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Are you referring to this album?
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:aifwxqt5ld0e

Even though I know it's regarded as his worst album, I still kinda wish it would finally get a CD release... just so I can hear its apparent awfulness for myself! :p
    (and because i've always wanted to hear his cover of "Big Yellow Taxi")

10. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

It did get a CD release, just not around your way. Big Yellow Taxi is for those people (both of them) who thought that The Boxer was a great cover and wanted to hear more where that came from.

11. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

"The "Best Of" edition that will feature 18 songs on a single disk."

didn't a single disc Dylan best of just come out? The Best Of Bob Dylan 16 tracks 2005?

12. onlyconnect

There was a European CD release but it is hard to find. The vinyl is easily obtainable.

Tim

13. jostber

jostber Forum Resident

14. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

But they know it will be 51 songs on 3 cds?

This one below will turn 2 years old in November.. (AFTER the 3 cd set comes out):
    [​IMG]

15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The press release doesn't promise any unreleased material, but (in my opinion), if they use this opportunity to finally make available the solo piano version of "She's My Lover Now" (indeed, one of Dylan's finest performances), that'll be enough to justify this collection by itself.

And maybe the Electric "Blind Willie McTell", too. I know this isn't intended as a BIOGRAPH-esque 2/3 greatest hits and 1/3 rarities, but I'm all for them sprinkling in a few unreleased tracks if they can stand next to "Tangled Up in Blue" and "Visions of Johanna".

But please. No "Silvio".

16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Since they openly welcome lobbying, I would ask Forum Members to consider linking to the DYLAN07 website, and consider voting for "She's Your Lover Now" (piano version), unless it's some other underappreciated Dylan nugget that you'd stronly like to give some time in the sun.

Granted, your favorite Dylan track might be "Mr Tamborine Man" or "Hurricane". There's nothing wrong with that, they're certainly great songs, but I think we can rest assured they are going to make an appearance regardless of our input. But it would be great to see a concerted effort of forum members inspiring the release of an amazing, otherwise unavailable Dylan performance.

17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Dude, I love "Silvio." It was the first song he played the first time I saw him live. Yes, it smoked the album version, but it got me hooked.

18. rdnzl

rdnzl Forum Resident

They should just make kind of a "Biograph Vol.2" in my opinion. "Biograph" already is somehow a perfect introduction to Dylan - without being "perfect". So they could put the major tracks missing from the first set on the new one (ranging from beginning to 2006 - "Biograph" went only until "Shot Of Love") and add some unreleased stuff. And if they want songs like "Rolling Stone", "Blowin' In The Wind", etc. on it, different versions than the ones on "Biograph" should be used.
    This is what I would like to see - of course this won't happen...

(and here is a vote FOR "Silvio":D )

19. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I'm voting for "Woogie Boogie".

20. onlyconnect

Would have to be a live version though.

My unfavourite is Summer Days (and Summer Nights).

Tim
    My review of HitFlip CD swapping site

21. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

"This definitive Bob Dylan collection..."

Sarcastic reply #1: You mean as opposed to all the other definitive collections?

Sarcastic reply #2: I thought the SACD box set was the definitive Bob Dylan collection?

Optimistic serious reply #1: Maybe they are releasing all these "best of" compilations lately to fund more remasters of more obscure Dylan catalog titles such as Dylan and others?

Craig(VC).

22. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Bob's version of "Big Yellow Taxi" (full-length clip) is available at http://bobdylan.com/moderntimes/songs/taxi.html. Just click on the 'RealAudio' or 'Windows Media 56' links.

23. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Wow, I can't believe they put that up given how much he hated that album when it was released. This new collection would be a great time for them to collect and give a wide release of all the folkways track that were released as Blind Boy Grunt. I'm still hoping for the definitive Basement Tapes collection.

24. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

It does seem pointless to issue a new single disc hits comp so soon after The Best of Bob Dylan. :sigh: If this is the best idea Sony/Columbia can come up with to exploit the Dylan catalog, no wonder the business is sinking faster than the Titanic. How 'bout a Bootleg Series volume devoted to The Basement Tapes, as previously noted? How 'bout a Bootleg Series volume devoted to a live show from the "born again" era, instead of the 60s barrel-scrapings we got on the last Bootleg Series disc? How 'bout a Legacy Edition of Blood on the Tracks with the original acoustic album on disc two? How 'bout a Legacy Edition of Infidels with "Foot of Pride" and "Blind Willie McTell" and all the other outtakes from the album? How 'bout a three-CD comp of highlights from the Never-Ending Tour?

25. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Just horrible, depressing news.
    First, the scrapping of the second wave of SACDs.
    Now, another useless retrospective of hits.
    And a further kick in the teeth... only 3 discs????
    Give me Biograph 2 that focuses on the 80's and above.
    There is a goldmine in there.
    Give me another non live Bootleg release.
    What we don't need taking up store shelves is "Best of the Best of Dylan" again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.