Another old horror movie query...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Paul C., Jul 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member Thread Starter

After someone the other day asked about an old horror movie, I was reminded of an old horror film that I saw on TV when I was a kid. I've no idea what it was. It was obviously in black and white (no colour TV back then), and I've always had the impression it was very old - 30s or 40s. I'm assuming a movie, but may possibly a serial.....?

It involved a mad doctor who had these people tied up in a room, and he was going to alter their faces, by giving them new noses, mouths, and other features. He was showing them all the options for different face parts he would give them, with these charts that he had on the wall with pictures of noses, eyes, etc. As a kid I remember it as pretty scary - it could well seem ludicrous to an adult.

Anyone have any idea what this film could have been? It's a long shot, I know....

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

There's a 1959 French film called "Eyes without a Face" where a plastic surgeon keeps kidnapping girls and unsuccesfully trying to transfer their faces to his disfigured daughter. It featured Alida Valli (best known for "The Third Man") and the screenplay was co-written by Boileau and Narejac who are best known for writing the novels upon which the films "Vertigo" and "Les Diaboliques" were based. It was released in the US in the early 60s under the alternate title "The Horror Chamber of Dr. Faustus" with many cuts and an English dub track. It's available uncut on VHS from Kino.

Regards,

4. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi Ken,

Yes, I know "Eyes Without a Face" - I taped it off a local station some years ago. An extraordinarily creepy film.

Not the one that I'm thinking of though..... Don't know about "She Demons".... Island of Lost Sould sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if it fits the bill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.