Another reason not to send PayPal payments as gifts.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by KeithH, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Why don't you report him, it's against the rules what he's doing.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Thanks. I won't get money back, but I am enjoying this thread immensely. :evil:

3. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Very sorry to read what has happened.

I noticed the seller in question has not commented on this thread.

FWIW: would it help any if everyone that has posted in this thread PM the bag of ****** in question and let him know that we will NEVER purchase from him until he makes good?

If he sees that he's basically wasting his time on this forum until he does right, perhaps it can resolve this situation.

4. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I had a guy (I actually forget who it was) PM me literally saying "I'll pay XXXX including shipping for the CD." That was the PM in its entirety. No "hi, would you consider...?" or anything that a normal human being might say. I never replied, and since I eventually sold the disc for only a few dollars more than his "demand", I obviously would've sold the CD to this guy if he wasn't so rude about it.

Anyhoo, interesting thread...

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yes? One could hardly expect it.

6. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

True.

It actually validates the OP even more so.

I have never screwed anyone over in a sale, here, eBay, or elsewhere.

Having said that, if there was a discussion on my credibility, and I felt that things said & posted were untrue, I would most certainly use it as an opportunity for rebuttal.

The seller has most certainly lost any credibility they had left.

7. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Couple quick observations:
    1) This guy is toast here, for good reason... He sounds like a tool.
    2) There probably should be a generic PayPay Gift method warning sticky up top.
    3) Sorry but I gotta throw this out there - its a two way street - in point of fact there are "respected members" selling here that can't or don't or won't grade worth a damn either. That's a fact. So the best policy is "buyer beware", just like anywhere else... Community or not.

8. KeithH

I agree with all your points.

9. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Imagine, the nerve of trying to return a scratched disc. :laugh:

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just noticed the negative feedback has been removed.

11. KeithH

Yes, I got a PM from a Gort about it last night. They are well aware of the issue with this guy.

12. KeithH

This read better the way I wrote it originally, without asterisks. Not only was it more effective, it was accurate.

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

10/10/2007 :

As we've said before the Classifieds are provided here as a benefit for our members. It was never our intent to have people sign up at SH.tv solely to use the Classifieds. We want people to join our community and have the Classifieds be a nice perk, not their sole reason for being here.

We appreciate your cooperation.

14. KeithH

Makes sense to me.

15. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Hey Keith, sorry to hear about your experience with this guy. It sucks that someone would come here and act that way.

I haven't been here nearly as long as many others, but just my own take: As a seller, I often ask buyers "if you don't mind", please use the personal tab. I realize that there is no buyer protection going this way, but as a seller with a good reputation, I usually at least ask the buyer to do this. My reasoning is that we are a community here, and I really consider the transaction to be of a somewhat personal nature. I look at these sales as much different than the cold unfriendly business of eBay. For the most part, people are super friendly here. If someone isn't comfortable with it, no big deal, that's cool too.

Interesting discussion here. I can guarantee I'll never be buying anything from that seller by the way. Thank you for the heads-up. :cheers:

16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Maybe we need to look at increasing forum participation before allowing access to Classifieds--maybe 100 posts and 6 months?

17. Myke

I've noticed that many members threads and posts are classifieds listings either exclusively, or almost as such, when viewed through their Public Profile. Difference is, they've each been top notch sellers, which keeps them off the radar, and okay in my book.
    I've got no problem with anyone that keeps their mouth shut, and actually knows the definition of an unexpressed thought. I can think of one or two that I wish would learn to STFU.

18. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

I think that's a little extreme. There are always going to be people like this. The iTrader system is in place to help keep situations like this from happening. Prominent members that had been here for years with tons of posts managed to F a lot of people over. I think that it is up to us to keep people honest the way that keith is doing here.

Rick

19. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

+1 :righton:

20. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

Thank you, Keith, for bringing this issue into the open. I empathize with your situation, too.

I've used the "Paypal gift" option on a lot of transactions here. I was happy to do it, and I've had nothing but good experiences so far. However, having gone through a similar experience where the sale seemed in danger of going bad -- and having no PayPal protection in case it did -- I've reconsidered my willingness to purchase items that way.

I prefer that the seller just keep their selling price high enough to cover their target "net" selling price plus any fees associated with the sale. It keeps everything above board. Otherwise, the buyer is taking an unfair amount of risk in the transaction. I guess it's up to each person to decide, but for me as a buyer -- I like having PayPal in the middle to mediate if things go wrong.

Great thread, and totally worthwhile.

21. Myke

This guy just put out another FS thread ? Guy really has stones !!! :laugh:

22. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I just put the seller on my Ignore List. Problem sloved.

23. KeithH

Agreed. He claims to have sold the cables. Hopefully no one here bought them. Used cables are relatively low-risk, but he's still a lousy seller and one to avoid.

24. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

That migth help to become a seller but I don't think it should change to be a buyer.

When I first joined I wanted access to the classifieds and posted as often as I could to get access.

25. Myke

I was referring to the CD that got put out this morning... but I see what you're referring to now also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.