Anthem STR Integrated- Bringing ARC into 2-Channel Mainstream?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Nov 22, 2018.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The relatively new Anthem STR integrated is a bold statement by it's manufacturer that room correction software (ARC, Anthem Room Correction, currently a mainstay in the multi-channel Home Theater market) is ready for the 2-channel audio(phile) enthusiast.
    Boasting a hefty 200 watts / channel @ 8-ohms, 550 watts / channel @ 2-ohms, a S/N of 120db and multiple digital / analog / phono inputs the STR appears ready for the high end 2-channel consumer.
    Recently receiving Stereophile's class A recommendation and editors choice for 2018, the review mentions that it is quite a capable 2-channel amplifier on its own merit but that the ARC software brings it into a newer realm that is currently quite rare for 2-channel audiophiles- integrated digital signal processing / equalization.
    The review claims that the effects of enabling the ARC correction equalization ranges from "subtle to striking" especially with unresolved room related bass response issues.
    Many 2-channel audiophiles are adamantly against the use of digital signal processing and prefer purity of signal, especially in the analog domain. Anthem is saying that it is time to have a more open mind and give ARC a try, that we might be pleasantly surprised.
    As one who is familiar with DSP in the mobile audio world I believe it can be extremely beneficial if not an absolute requirement in the audio challenging nightmare of a room called the automotive interior.
    My only reservation is that microphone based measuring and automated correction processing rarely / never yields a response that we can live with. Something is always "off" and this opens the door to potentially endless amounts of adjusting and fiddling as you begin to cycle through your collection of recordings.
    I have to applaud Anthem for delivering a high powered 2-channel amplifier that appears competitive in the audiophile market on its own merits.
    Whether the use of ARC becomes mainstream for the audiophile community is the open question.

[​IMG]

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

I'd be far more inclined to try DSP by route of a DSPeaker Antimode 2.0.

3. I listened to one a few weeks ago driving some MartinLogans. It was a very nice sounding setup. I’m not sure if the ARC was engaged or not. Good looking amp too IMO.

4. avanti1960

It looks interesting but is limited and seems to need a processing loop or use as a DAC / preamp. If I were to go the outboard route the mini DSP options are another way to go but would require separate preamp/amp to work. The Anthem seems revolutionary as a 2-channel integrated amplifier with on board room correction.

5. avanti1960

I really like the look too. Quality piece. The pic in the original post does not do it justice, especially scale. This is a large component.

Shoalcove likes this.
  6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

If/when there is a year where I'm not hit with home repair bills, my upgrade path will either be:
    1)Pass Integrated
    2)Lyngdorf Integrated with Room Perfect

I've heard Lyngdorf gear 2 times now and I'm suitably impressed enough to consider leaving the purist analog path.

avanti1960 likes this.
  7. avanti1960

The Lyngdorf amplifiers are definitely creating some buzz (in a good way). They do not have onboard DACs and amplify the digital signal directly! How the heck do they do that?

They are creating a following for their clear sound (at least in the digital domain), not sure how analog sources would sound. Room Perfect appears to have come a long way.
    Unfortunately you have to get the TDAI 3400 ($6500) for the room perfect to work only on the bass frequencies if that is your wish. The TDAI 2170's ($4000) Room Perfect does affect all frequencies. I'm not sure if you can fine tune. Very interesting.

8. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

During my current speaker shopping endeavors I heard the Anthem STR through a few pairs of speakers. It was fantastic. I've no idea if the DSP was engaged or not; I'd guess it wasn't, because swapping speakers probably negates its usefulness. If I could afford an amp in that price range I would give it a very close listen.

Coincidentally, to help me demo speakers at home with a high-current amp, the dealer loaned me a pre-owned Harman Kardon HK 990. This circa 2011 integrated also has automated room correction built-in, called EZSet/EQ. (I did not try it as the microphone was missing)

9. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Avanti, I've been a long time user of the Anthem D2, I have 2, and can attest to their build & sound quality.
    I plan on getting the STR pre-amp when funds allow.
    Here's a link to an exhaustive review of STR Pre & Power amp by Gene DellaSala at Audoholics:
    Anthem STR Preamp and Power Amplifier Review

While not the Integrated it gives a good insight into the design, sound etc.

SandAndGlass and Shawn like this.
  10. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Hmm, I wonder how much different than using a top of the line AV preamp like those from Maranzt that offers Audyssey plus using external power amp?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Yesterday, I took home an STR Preamplifier on approval from a local dealer. I have used automatic room correction with the TacT 2.2X, which I owned for years, and manual correction with the Classé CP-800 (listed in my profile). What attracted me to the STR were the great reviews, reasonable price (relative to Trinnov, Wavelet, Classé, etc.), and possible relief from the tedium of adjusting EQ manually on four separate channels (2 mains, 2 subs) with the Classé.

One thing more: Anthem Room Correction uses multipoint measurements. I've measured my system manually many times, and the rapid comb-filter changes in HF with position are probably one reason I was never satisfied with the TacT's single-point approach. Nor did the Classé make it practical (for me, anyway) to tune the FR -- which must be done iteratively, measuring repeatedly -- with a multipoint approach.

Having hooked up the STR in place of the CP-800 and run ARC, then made a few adjustments, I listened for hours and was not inclined to remove the STR from my system. More in a week or two, if anyone's interested.

12. Mike-48

That is a really good point. I definitely experienced fiddle-itis when I was using the TacT 2.2X (which allowed multiple target curves, user-edited target curves, and 16 bands of PEQ post-room-correction) and more recently using the Classé CP-800 (I was never satisfied I'd done the best manual adjustment).

So far, I've been way less prone to fiddle with ARC on the STR Preamplifier. It sets crossover parameters automatically, has one target curve, allows minimal user adjustments, and has the most transparent bass and treble controls I've used. After one set of measurements, I have set up three profiles with slightly different "room gain" (basically, sub level) settings. Along with an occasional light touch on the treble control (-0.5 to -1.5 dB), those have been enough to get highly enjoyable sound out of every recording I've tried so far, from classic R&B to modern 24/192 classical. I was wary of the limitations, but I'm beginning to believe they are an advantage.

Either Anthem really has hit a sweet spot of sorts, or I'm missing something. Time will tell.

13. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Not action at all on this forum re: Anthem products.
    Took advantage of their 20% off trade-up deal and ordered a black STR Pre-Amp.
    Picking up tomorrow :)

mtrot and Mike-48 like this.
  14. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

I considered the STR but when a local dealer refused to get one in the store for me to audition I ended up getting the Marantz PM-10S1 instead. I'm very happy with my choice. :)

15. Mike-48

A few months later, the only audible issue I am finding with the STR and ARC Genesis is lack of control of the target response in the midrange. ARC provides several ways to adjust the target at the bass end, and ways to adjust the downward slope (if desired) and top-end rolloff. What it doesn't provide is any control of the midrange. Yet automatic systems usually are better if fine-tuned by ear.

In my system, I hear, subjectively, a slight emphasis around 2.5 kHz after ARC correction. This could be due to mic miscalibration, my using rather directional speakers, my own tastes, the room acoustics, or who knows what. I've put a corresponding (-1.5 dB) dip in, using the EQ in the Aries streamer, and the results are wonderful.

Other STR Owners: I have asked Anthem to put into the STR a midrange control, ideally with adjustable center frequency and Q. This should be easy with firmware, and it would go a long way to making it totally configurable. If you agree, please write Anthem support and express your support for the idea.

wgb113 likes this.
  16. Mike-48

Congratulations on your purchase! Enjoy it!

mongo and mtrot like this.
  17. Mike-48

Another day, another impression. :confused: Last night, I switched from the beta version of ARC Genesis 1.1 back to the released version (1.0.1), using the same measurement set and target adjustments. In an hour or so of listening, I didn't hear the 2.5kHz emphasis mentioned above. I mention it, because I don't want to create the impression of a problem where one may not exist. I still think that a midrange control would be a great addition to the STR, adding welcome flexibility.

Life isn't giving me the leisure time lately to be a good audio critic. I'll avoid saying more about this matter until I've been able to listen a lot more.

wgb113 likes this.
  18. Christophe999s

Christophe999s Forum Resident

Altough more focused on AV, Arcam did something similar with the SR250 stereo AV receiver: SR250 - Stereo AV Receiver - Arcam
    It had Dirac integrated.

I think this was a nice solution for people like me who use their system mostly for music, but like to watch a movie every now and then without the need for surround.
    Can't comment on the SQ, unfortunately it was out of my price range and never auditioned one.

19. Tom_P

Tom_P Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me if there's an easy way to toggle ARC on and off? I would like to hear the difference and thought there would be a on-board menu option for ARC. But the only way I see so far is via the windows application.

20. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

Go into Setup, to the Input Setup menu. There’s a setting for ARC. You can enable/disable it individually per input.

Tom_P likes this.
  21. Mike-48

And to elaborate on that a little, you also could create another "input" with the same conector, but with ARC disabled. That is, I think, the quickest way to compare ARC on with ARC off for a given input.

Tom_P likes this.
  22. Tom_P

Tom_P Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    Sorry, it was another case of RTFM :p

Oh, do any Anthem STR owners think theirs required a break-in period?

23. Mike-48

I think most system changes require some time to settle in. Whether it's the gear that changes or the listener's ears, I can't say.

24. Tom_P

Tom_P Well-Known Member

Has anyone here had any interaction with Anthem support?
    I have both emailed Anthem support and called them. Both times it proved to be fruitless.
    They never replied to my email and when I called I was dumped into voicemail. I left a message and it's been more than a week and still no reply.

Coming from PS Audio, which has incredible support for it's customers, this is very disheartening.

25. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I used the “contact us” form on their website back on December 7th. I got a full written response at 12:06pm on the 9th.