Anthrax "Persistence of Time" 30th Anniversary 2CD/1DVD set and separate vinyl set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jun 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Crap. I have both the vinyl and CD editions of this new set. Ugh. Haven’t listened yet.

I’m glad I kept my 2-LP Wax Cathedral reissue.

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

The vinyl might be better. I am a CD guy so you will have to let us know about the vinyl.

3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Thats a real shame. I dont own the cd only the original single vinyl, which itself sounds poor as too much music on a single vinyl. Time to invest in the cd.

4. The Hud

I highly recommend "Aftershock: The Island Years". Best sounding Anthrax on CD and great bonus tracks!

5. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

"Protest and Survive" is also on Killer B's though anyway.

6. The Hud

True, but it was recorded during the Persistence Of Time sessions and I think fits well on the album. To each their own.

Johnny Rock N' Roll likes this.
  7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I don't think there was much to work with in the first place for a deluxe version. These bands were on a tight album-tour -album - tour regime. However given the tour was filmed and recorded we could have had a decent set. As it is the deluxe versions have all seemed a bit lazy. I always feel that Charlie begrudges that Anthrax is only successful with Joey Belladonna and these sets seem to reflect that.

Aftershock is all you need for this period - great collection, great sound and great price.

Man at C&A and Swordsandchains like this.
  8. The Hud

A live disc from the tour would be a great bonus disc.

Sound of White Noise went Gold, so you can't say Anthrax was only successful with Joey.

9. Johnny Rock N' Roll

It certainly fits the album well, but I just meant more if someone has easy access to the regular version, or already has it and the Killer B's, then it's all there without seeking out a different version.

10. The Hud

True.

11. Johnny Rock N' Roll

I have come quite around on White Noise. I could not get into it upon release, not only because of the vocal change but the shift in musical style.

I love it now though, heavy AF.

12. The Hud

It is a great album. The only bad thing I can say about it is that I don't like the slightly changed Anthrax logo.

13. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I'm not after a Joey vs John debate. SOWN did do well, but the history books are always going to refer to the Belladonna years when referring to Anthrax. Doesn't matter your personal preference of singer. Charlie knows this, although I'm not convinced he wouldn't prefer to still have Bush as their singer, but knows the majority Anthrax base wants Joey.

14. The Hud

I am not sure what you are talking about. John Bush is a major part of the Anthrax story and always will be.

15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Feelings of Bush-era Anthrax is going to depend on your age lol.

Howard Bleach likes this.
  16. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Bush is an important, and long-running part of Anthrax's history, but I've only seen Anthrax once, in 2001-ish, with Bush on vocals. There was some speculation at the time that Belladonna might do shows with them. When my friend and I got to the venue, we felt like we were in a 50/50 limbo...like, were rumors true and were we gonna maybe see Belladonna? or both singers? Obviously, no, just Bush and it seemed like Belladonna would never rejoin after that. And the show was still fun as hell and I was glad to finally see Anthrax. But I also felt like and still feel like I never saw the "real" Anthrax. Ha.

In a similar way that if I saw the current incarnation of GNR, I wouldn't feel like I saw the real GNR, no matter how good the show may be. It's just missing elements that made it the band I loved...even if those elements are important from nostalgia and not quality.

17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Wow, no offence but these anti Bush-era views are showing huge naivety of the history of metal music industry and Anthrax in the 1990s and 2000s.

18. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Saw this thread and listening to this now, I only have the original 1990 CD and it sounds fantastic. Sounds like this new version would be a downgrade so I'll save the dollars. I really miss metal with good dynamic range. Annoyed all over again that Got the Time is the song they always play live, doesn't really fit with the album IMO. It's a cover and there's much better songs here.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Anthrax likes this.
  19. Johnny Rock N' Roll

No offense taken, if my posts were included in that, but I just think any anti-Bush sentiment would be more about preference of singer/style than any naivety of the history of the genre and the band.

I stated that I eventually came around and like Bush-era Anthrax quite a lot, but there's no reason to expect anyone to like SOWN and on just because they also like Spreading the Disease. They sound like different bands. There was a ton of metal that came out in the 90s--either new bands or old bands playing in a different style--that I either wasn't too fond of, completely hated or just flat out ignored that I have since discovered and spin as much as the standards, but I don't really think that if someone dislikes stuff from that era it means they are naive to the genre's history.

There's also a ton of stuff that came out around the turn of the millennium--new bands, nu metal, old bands playing industrial-tinged stuff, etc.--that I think is terrible still. But I don't think it's naivete on my part.

Saying that someone is less knowledgeable about a band or genre because they don't care for a band's change in singer/style is kinda ridiculous.

I don't have to like everything a band does just because I like some stuff a band does.

I do remember once though back in the days of AOL, someone calling me a fairweather fan because I was not a fan of Motley Crue's Generation Swine. Ha, maybe, but I still hate that album.

20. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

eh....there hasn't been any "anti - Bush era views". Mr & Mrs Bush - you pair are just jumping in way too quick.

John Bush is an important part of the Anthrax story - to Anthrax fans only. In 10, 20 years time when some lazy a** journalist writes or mentions of Anthrax, or a music clip is shown - which era are they going to show or refer to - quite simply the Belladonna era. That's not my say...that's what happens already. Quite simply he was the singer in the band who made their "landmark" album Among The Living - which again whether you like it or not; was the album of theirs that had the most impact at a time when metal was selling very well. History is defined not by what happened but by how it is written in the books.

That all said....there is no denying that the period of Anthrax following Joeys return has been very successful for them again - is that because of Joey's connection with the wider fan base, or is it simply because metal is popular again - who knows?

21. The Hud

These "books" sure are important to you.

Kiss73 likes this.
  22. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Would love to see them play Blood.

23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Depends on who’s writing the history books, if one was ever to exist. There’s a generations of metal fans who grew up with those Bush albums, watched their videos on Headbangers Ball and saw them on tour opening for Pantera, Slayer, Motörhead. To us, Anthrax is more about John.

24. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

My first exposure to anthrax was with Joey and I loved everything up till PoT. That being said I loved the Bush era ! in the 90's they were great IMO. Vol.8 and Stomp were SICK. Plus Dimebag is all over vol.8 they had some sick jams. I seen them with Priest never forget that show. Bush and Ripper. I did not care it wasn't Joey and Halford one second.
    Still those Joey albums were are why they are in the big 4 if that matters.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Anthrax's "deluxe" editions are only interesting to the big fan for the extra content, and it's not like the extra content is something you'll come back to time and again (Oidivnikufesin dvd excepted, naturally). The main album's remaster? Forget it.

On the other hand, Anthrax fans have been lucky that their classic Belladonna-era albums have been in print all these years on CD with the old mastering. Even today they're still widely available and you can get them, crank them the hell up and rock out to them like it's 1990.

CBackley and The Hud like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.