Any ambient recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ls35a, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Billchi_11

Billchi_11 What would DBoon do?

{and here I thought old Aphex Twin was some obscure sht}:)

HiredGoon likes this.
  2. ries

ries Forum Resident

anyone seen this? not new, but Seefeel posted this on their timeline, its from a festival in 1994 in Moscow, there were bits and pieces already from it, but this seems more complete

The festival was renowed by basicly have all the best ambient acts (from that time) in one place, it was a pretty wild lineup with Aphex Twin (wich had to cancel his gig because of food poisoning), Autechre, Locust (Mark van Hoen), Seefeel, Reload (one of the few concerts they did around A Collection...), Bruce Gilbert, Bark Psychosis and I forgot a few I think. I remember hearing about and serious considering hitchhiking to Moscow (wish I did!).

here an article from Mark Pritchard where he recollect his memories from that festival:
    https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2011/07/mark-pritchards-worst-tour-ever

3. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

A reminder: Bandcamp is waiving fees for today (May 1st) so many artists have enticing deals. For example, 36 (who has released many excellent albums) has the discography as "name yer price" for today only. Recommended to check out some 36 albums and support the artist.

--Geoff

D-rock, Hermetech Mastering and 3Dman like this.
  4. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Henrik Meierkord - Själ -- a Swedish cellist with a stark neoclassical album of "slow and deeply stirring arcs, married with sweeter taps of piano, cello plucks and subtle electronics". Noice. Just the thing for late at night. Currently "Name Yer Price" for the lossless download at Bandcamp (though that may be limited to May 1 only).

--Geoff

D-rock and Synthfreek like this.
  5. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops -- the sound of a decaying tape loop. A classic back in the day. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp for today only.

--Geoff

6. epp56

epp56 Forum Resident

not sure if this would exactly classify as ambient but I recently purchased and would recommend Helen Money - Atomic
    Atomic, by Helen Money

7. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Erik Emil Eskildsen - Abundance -- a bloke and his Touch guitar ... kinda like an album of Frippertronics. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

8. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Steve Roach - Immersion: Three -- the third in a series of "immersion" releases, this is a 3 x 70+ min tracks of typical Roachian soundworlds. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp for a limited time.

--Geoff

patient_ot and D-rock like this.
  9. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Autumn Of Communion - Autumn Of Communion 2 -- playing this one today, on the Fax label with the classic mid 90s "ambient mixed with beats and samples" sound, even though it was released in 2013. Currently "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp but that may not last too much longer.

--Geoff

Pynchjan and patient_ot like this.
  10. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

r beny - natural fiction -- Mentioned in the "best ambient on Bandcamp" list recently. Full of regret, isolation and decay. Noice. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

D-rock likes this.
  11. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Djordje Ilijin, ex-Tako, has released an amazing album in April this year. Stylistically similiar to his first solo album from 1982, it's somewhere between ambient and prog rock.

Wind, from Flying in the Dream CD by Djordje Ilijin, 2020

Dissidence likes this.
  12. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Adham Shaikh - Journey To The Sun -- a classic from the mid 1990s. A mixture of electronics, samples, and sub-continental instruments. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

Pynchjan and D-rock like this.
  13. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

Incredibly powerful (yet subtle) music, especially in these times.
    She has many peers which are also excellent.
    I'm sure they've been mentioned in here.

As for the thread topic, can't go wrong with Olafur Arnalds work ATM, obvious? Yes; but genuinely lush so that's all that matters.

14. Philippe Petit : You Only Live Ice

It's fantastic. I love it.

One track. - 43.5 minutes. Kind of industrial ambient. Completely non-linear. It's a weird experience!

15. wyclif

wyclif Well-Known Member

Brian Eno, On Land

16. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

Scattered Memories by Saba Alizadeh.

Stunning album IMO.

Rocat likes this.
  17. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Jeff Pearce - Rainshadow Sky -- solo Chapman stick (a kinda combination guitar / bass instrument). "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp for this week.

--Geoff

patient_ot likes this.
  18. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Hiroshi Yoshimura - Green

[​IMG]

proedros and patient_ot like this.
  19. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Really looking forward to the LITA repress arriving.

talkingh and johnnypaddock like this.
  20. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Angling Loser - Author Of The Twilight -- enjoying this album today. A mix of lush pads, guitar, samples, and field recordings. Another side project from the prolific Lee Anthony Norris (Autumn of Communion, Neotantra, Norken, Metamatics, etc). "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp (for a very limited time).

--Geoff

patient_ot likes this.
  21. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

Has there been any/much discussion on Grouper in here?
    Love her work.

BlueTrane likes this.
  22. discreetmusic

discreetmusic Well-Known Member

The first ambient release on Third Man Records. "Altar of Harmony" by Luke Schneider. Ambient music created entirely on the pedal steel. Album released today.

Dissidence and HiredGoon like this.
  23. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

If it hasn’t already been listed...maybe my favorite from last year

24. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

Anything by Julianna Barwick at the moment for me. But especially her work with Ikue Mori.

Also; a lot of the releases from Posh Isolation fit the bill here perfectly and seem to be getting a good work out personally when the mood is right.

25. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

This is very, very good.

talkingh and D-rock like this.