Any BORIS fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gmku, Dec 21, 2011.

1. gmku

gmku Active Member Thread Starter

I'm a big fan of their Pink album, which I own on pink vinyl. But I am completely unfamiliar with any of their other releases.

Any recommendations? Anyone familiar with the new (2011) albums?

JohnGoober, Greenalishi, Sean and 2 others like this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm a fan.

Of all their material, I highly recommend the first Heavy Rocks album (2002). If you like Pink, you'll like that one. The newest Heavy Rocks album (2011) isn't nearly as good, imo.

Others I'd recommend:

The Thing That Solomon Overlooked (2004)
    Flood
    Amplifier Worship
    Akuma no Uta

Avoid the stuff with Merzbow unless you like very heavy "drone" type stuff that doesn't ever go anywhere, really.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have their "Altar" release with Sunn O))), and one more, but the name escapes me.

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

All excellent, but I must mention that Flood is one 70 minute song that ebbs and flows, but is quite beautiful and majestic if you are so inclined.

Also, Rainbow, with Ghost guitarist Michio Kurhara is amazing heavy/psych with scorching Cippolina like guitar by Kurahara.

This years New Album and Attention Please are radical departures with Wata taking on most of the vocals and they have a pop/shoegaze sheen to them that wasn't explored before, but then, they are shapeshifters.

5. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan. I heavily recommend Smile.

Greenalishi and Dudley Morris like this.
  6. ralphb

Beat me to it, I was just going to add that to the list. Yes, excellent Boris, and I wish I could afford the limited Japanese release which is substantially different from the U.S. release.

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

I like Boris
    Mayor of London incarnate
    Very droll with a hint of Terry Thomas...

8. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

He had a good backhand.

9. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

He should've won an Oscar for Frankenstein. The Body Snatcher too.

klockwerk, Greenalishi and Sean like this.
  10. bob338

bob338 Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, albums with 'boris' are more mellow(for boris, anyway) and albums with 'BORIS' are the heavy ones.
    I have a lot of their stuff, but I listen to it less and less. If I want that kind of msic I usually go back to the source: Melvins.

Greenalishi likes this.
  11. gmku

Even though they're departures, are the new ones "good," in your opinion?

Greenalishi likes this.
  12. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

I actually like the newest two more than the heavy ones (which I also like).

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I think Smile is probably closest to Pink in that it's more rock than drone, or at least predominantly in the songs...

The EP with Ian Astbury is pretty interesting, and inexpensive, though not as good as I might have hoped...

Greenalishi likes this.
  14. ralphb

Yes, very good. It's just that people who are into the heavier stuff sometimes won't go along for the ride when a band changes up like this. But that's part of the appeal. Go to the Aquarius Records site for very thorough write-ups of the various iterations of Boris albums. Very entertaining and informative, most times with samples. Really, the sheer volume of releases (some extremely limited) this band has out is mind-boggling.

Greenalishi and Dino like this.
  15. The Melvins aren't as varied though. If you want the crushing stoner rock they're the band, but I like that Boris also have the droney and shoegazy material too, not to mention the more experimental and acoustic tangents.

Greenalishi and porieux like this.
  16. gmku

Thanks. Appreciate the recommendation on the albums and the referral to the site.

Greenalishi likes this.
  17. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Huge fan here although I'll admit that their stylistic turns can be jarring. My favorite of theirs would likely be "Rainbow" which they recorded with Michio Kurihara. The Japan-only live "Smile" set is also worth seeking out and is my go-to favorite of the various "Smile" releases. I wouldn't necessarily recommend any of the three 2011 releases to a novice, simply because they're not the best examples of the "Boris sound".

Greenalishi likes this.
  18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I highly recommend the most recent 'Live In Japan' DVD - originally issued as a bonus disc on the 'Variations' CD and later reissued by itself in the States by Southern Lord. Powerful show.

Greenalishi and Maurice like this.
  19. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I have that one, "Smile" and "Rock Dream", which they recorded with Merzbow.

Greenalishi likes this.
  20. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

21. gmku

LMAO!

22. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

I'd recommend Feedbacker, Amplifier Worship, Heavy Rocks (the old one), Smile (US and Japanese), Rock Dream (a live album with Merzbow), Klatter (also with Merzbow), and Dronevil (which is two CDs meant to be played at the same time, kind of like Zaireeka by the Flaming Lips).

I've got mixed opinions about New Album, Attention Please, and the new Heavy Rocks.

Greenalishi likes this.
  23. gmku

So should I pick up New Album? The cover is pretty awesome.

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Amplifier Worship!!!

How can an album with that title be anything but great?

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. gmku

True. I can't seem to find that one around here though.

Greenalishi likes this.