Any brooks and dunn fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, Sep 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

liked them for a while but haven't played anything by them in several years.

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

i knew what you meant. i somewhat agree with your post. brooks seems to be there and without him they aren't as successful but really not sure what he does just like oates lol

spsimmons likes this.
  3. Matthew Tate

if anyones a fan check out these Ronnie Dunn solo tunes
    cost of living
    last love I'm tryin
    I don't dance
    I just get lonely

4. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

Ronnie Dunn is, in my opinion, a criminally underrated vocalist. It's breathtaking how good he is. Give a listen to "I'll Never Forgive My Heart" and be amazed.

melstapler and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Matthew Tate

he is one of the best male country singers of the last 30 years

PyroMessiah likes this.
  6. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

I liked them when they were together, saw them on tour a few times and they put on a great show. Still get the greatest hits out now and then and give it a listen.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I have all of their albums, even their individual solo albums.
    I agree with the general consensus, that the more recent albums started becoming too
    modern and repetitive. Still better than a lot of other stuff coming out now, but perhaps
    their time had run out. A new album every 5 years or so would still flare my interest and
    more simplified arrangements like the earlier stuff. This in your face country stuff doesn't
    work for me. I'm a huge Hank Jr fan, but even most of his albums are always 'in your face'
    country. What a shame, he is more appealing to me doing his more traditional 70's style country.

I digress, I do like this solo album from Kix, some great songs on this one, my favourite:

9. Rick Bartlett

melstapler likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

A decent run of albums from their debut to Borderline.

Can’t say I’m bothered about checking them out now though.

melstapler likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

yeah waste of time

melstapler likes this.
  12. AsWeGoAlong14

AsWeGoAlong14 Well-Known Member

Ronnie Dunn is actually my first cousin once removed. I believe he went to one of the family reunions other relatives used to hold, but my mother and I couldn't make it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Exactly. These unnecessary albums of duets typically contain inferior versions of classic songs which do very little to improve on the original versions. The recent Ronnie Milsap duets album from January 2019 is another prime example. I seriously doubt that Jason Aldean sits around listening to Ronnie Milsap and these pairings with awful modern country artists were most likely organized by the record company.
    Ronnie Milsap "The Duets" album released on 1-18-19

14. melstapler

Kix Brooks is an excellent songwriter. He wrote the enjoyable song 'Who's Lonely Now,' which became a hit for the band Highway 101.

'Who's Lonely Now' as recorded by Highway 101

Matthew Tate and Rick Bartlett like this.
  15. melstapler

For me, this new album of duets fails in many ways. The biggest mistake was not including Kim Richey on a duet with Brooks & Dunn for 'Every River.' Somewhere on youtube, there was a video of them performing a live duet version at an awards show.
    [​IMG]

'Every River' as written and recorded by Kim Richey

16. melstapler

'Every River' as recorded by Brooks & Dunn

17. Rick Bartlett

Great Song! by both artists.
    I like watching this studio 'making of' material more than the results.
    Looks like they're enjoying themselves, but it sounds like another
    production line album.

Matthew Tate and melstapler like this.
  18. Rick Bartlett

Oh dear! :sigh:
    What a butchering of a 90's country classic.
    Midland WTF? who are these drunk sounding karaoke wannabe's?

19. melstapler

Definitely. Midland is an extremely generic and bland group who wear corny costumes. The band's singer in this video can't pull it off even with a new arrangement and help from Ronnie and Kix. I was given a copy of the new "duets" disc and have been listening periodically. As it stands, the most interesting song on the "album" is the interpretation of 'Neon Moon' by Kacey Musgraves. She's now basically a pop artist, but I respect how she breathes new life into the song and makes it her own, similar to how Dwight Yoakam re-worked 'Close Up The Honky Tonks." Kacey's interpretation and any of the other duets with barbarian modern country artists aren't really necessary, but at least Kacey has the courage to take the song in a new and surprising direction.

20. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

no.

DougT and melstapler like this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

Agree! I really like Kacey and what she brings to party. Even her other works on projects other than her
    own are refreshing and outstanding above the rest.
    I just can't jump into getting this 'B&D' duets album even after trying just the same.

22. melstapler

Exactly! None of these versions improve on the originals, which had excellent production. Perhaps the purpose of this duets album is to introduce them to new audiences or to celebrate the reformation of Brooks & Dunn, but it's great they're still active and touring.

23. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

Awful. Alabama did one of these duet albums with all the new hot country stars and it was terrible. Now Brooks and Dunn are giving it a whirl. Awful.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  24. I grew up on Brooks and Dunn... still really enjoy those first few albums. “Neon Moon” is a legendary song.

And yeah. Avoid that new reboot album. Even the Kacey song is bad, IMO. Sooooooo much autotune and processing. Whyyyyyyy?

Side note, Kix makes some really good wine (Arrington Vineyards) - worth checking out when in Nashville. Beautiful location too!

Matthew Tate and spsimmons like this.
  25. Matthew Tate

what album was that by Alabama? I know there is an album of other people covering Alabama songs but first of all I don't think Alabama appears on any of the tracks other than the 2 brand new songs. second it was released in 2013 and I don't think toby keith, trisa yearwood, rascall flatts and Kenny Chesney were "new hot country stars" in the year 2013 as most of them date back to the mid 90's and had 15+ year careers by the time that release came out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.