Any experiences with Marantz PM700N integrated?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim S, Mar 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I do understand. Supposedly this work around does work.

Hoping someone that uses Qobuz here could try this and see how it does.

cdgenarian likes this.
  2. D700

D700 Just Add Scotch

Thank you. I'm enjoying it this AM. Check out "jazzgroove.org" if you haven't already. Less swing, more eclectic

Joel S likes this.
  3. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I will, but as a swing dancer, I love swing, and it's what attracted me to TSF. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm checking it out now.

cdgenarian likes this.
  4. If it's like my PM7005 (does not have streaming), it will be a great amp that should last decades. I always wonder about built in frequently changing tech components, so didn't want a streamer built into my amp. I was even nervous about the built in USB DAC in the amp, but that can be turned off (as I do), and I use an external DAC. I also use an outboard phono pre, although the built in one is fine. The PM7005s are not made anymore, and were made in Japan on the Reference line. So get a good warranty with the newer ones.

cdgenarian likes this.
  5. ripdan

ripdan Forum Resident

I just ordered a ND8006, which is the CD Player version, to go with my PM7005. May be some redundancies but I needed a new CD player and I wanted to stay with Marantz and try the other media.

cdgenarian likes this.
  6. Fish17

Fish17 Forum Resident

I went with music direct open box for $799.

cdgenarian likes this.
  7. Fish17

Fish17 Forum Resident

I'm faced with the same question, do I use my phono preamp (Creek OHB-18) or this onboard Marantz 7000N one. I plan on doing some sounds tests, but I expect my preamp will sound better.

cdgenarian likes this.
  8. GoldprintAudio

I've sold several of these and they are nice sounding units. You should love it!

cdgenarian likes this.
  9. arem

arem Forum Resident

I’m trying to choose a new integrated amp with many of these features right now and there are so many competitive choices out there, I’m suffering from option paralysis. This Marantz, the Cambridge CXA-81, the Denon PMS-150H, and the Peachtree Nova 150 are all in the same ballpark price range and all have very good reviews. The Peachtree doesn’t stream directly but I love that I can plug my iPad or iPhone straight into the DAC and stream to it while charging the device. I like the look of the Nova too. How do I choose?

cdgenarian and GoldprintAudio like this.
  10. AB1903

AB1903 Well-Known Member

I have a Marantz NA6006 Streamer. I agree the HEOS App is a bit clunky so I use the mconnect App instead. It works well and enables Qobuz and Tidal to stream to the Marantz. I assume the same would be the case for this model here.
    Heos is best for Amazon right up to 24/192 content, mconnect is better than HEOS for TIDAL, Heos caps Tidal at 16/44, mconnect goes up to 24/96 as (I understand) it can only do the first MQA unfold. Most of the time 24/96 is plenty as most Tidal content is 16/44 anyway. Both apps are fine at streaming your own android phone content at full resolution up to 24/192 (both the DAC in my model and this one are capped at 24/192).

eno789, GoldprintAudio and cdgenarian like this.
  11. GoldprintAudio

Honestly, all 4 of those options are quite nice. I'm a little partial to Marantz/Denon (of course I sell them! lol ). But all of them get great reviews and have nice features.

The new PM700N is really a nice sounding unit.

arem and cdgenarian like this.
  12. Fish17

Fish17 Forum Resident

I ended up going with an open box 7000N from music direct as I wanted a unit that supported Alexa but also Amazon Music HD full resolution. I have separate post on this forum where I plan on posting my thoughts, it's coming today :)

Amazon Music HD - Weakest Link my Streamer?

I looked into the peachtree but I didn't like the inconvenience of having to plug in my phone. I'm lazy and would end up just listening via my echo input instead. Plus the CXA-81 and the Peachtree Nova are 1.5 time more than the PM7000N. That peachtree looks sexy though!

How would you stream music with the CXA-81? The aptX bluetooth built in is capped at 24-bit/84kHz. Although I does have a better built in DAC supporting up to 32-bit/384kHz. Plus it has higher wattage compared to the PM7000N. Too bad aptX isn't supported on my iPhone.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  13. Fish17

Fish17 Forum Resident

If this Marantz Pm7000N doesn't workout I may try the CXA-81. It looks amazing as well, except I don't know how I would take advantage of Amazon Music HD as I have an iPhone X which doesn't support AptX :(.

I would also lose the convenience of playing music via Alexa at full Ultra HD quality. I could hook it up to bluetooth but Alexa's bluetooth connection is the lowest quality A2DP/SBC.

It's also dissapoting the CXA-81 doesn't support wifi. I would need to hardwire from my PC into the CXA-81 which is not practical. With the 7000N I can stream via dual band wifi.

14. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

alright guys - I took delivery of the CXA81 today. man, this one sounds incredible right out the box. a MASSIVE step up from the PM6006, for sure. I've only tried the CD/SACD playback thus far, as well as a bit of Spotify - and my tiny mind is blown. this one really sings and is definitely bringing the best out of my Dali's

I'll get the record player and cassette deck set up over the weekend for some more testing - but first impressions are *double thumbs up emoji*

arem likes this.
  15. Fish17

Fish17 Forum Resident

It looks like a great piece of hardware! Due to limitations I summarized above for me its a bad fit.

I assume you have an android phone then? The only way to stream with that receiver is via aptX bluetooth.

16. Fish17

Fish17 Forum Resident

It looks like a great piece of hardware! More power than the PM7000N too. Can't wait to hear more about your testing. In my opinion nothing is better than personal in home reviews.

Due to limitations I summarized above for me its a bad fit. If there was a way to still have the features that PM7000N into the Cambridge I would have definitely wanted to give it an audition. I also don't like that there is no front display.

I assume you have an android phone then, how are you streaming spotify? The only way to stream with that receiver is via aptX bluetooth.

Do you have a pre-amp for your record player?

17. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

I have a crappy windows phone man, but the bluetooth connectivity is just a 'nice to have' really. I very rarely stream at home - I use streaming on the hoof, in the car, or in the kitchen when I'm cooking on a 30 quid bluetooth speaker. I've been sampling the streaming side from my laptop. I have an arcam miniblink, which was hooked up to the old amp for aptX. I might try Amazon HD music, as they are doing a free trial, but again, I hardly stream on my main system, tbh

I have a Trichord Dino man

18. Fish17

Fish17 Forum Resident

One thing I like about about the CXA81 compared to the Marantz PM7000N is that it has an extra stereo speaker connection in case I ever want to install speakers outside.

That and the larger wattage.

19. Fish17

Fish17 Forum Resident

I've been running the PM7000N through it paces tonight and I'm very very happy with my purchase!

First and foremost sound quality, the amount of clarity and extra soundstage I got from my KEF Q150's is night and day compared to the Denon 4308ci. I can't believe I've been missing out this long!

The alexa integration works perfectly! Now I can tell alexa to play a song in the living room and it goes right to my receiver, no Echo Input analog signal, its all digital. You can even ask Alexa to switch inputs and turn down the volume. I also like that I can use the volume rocker on my iPhone to adjust the volume.

I also really like the display, its very crisp and I like seeing the song name, album name, artist and time remaining during playback.

The HEOS app is kinda meh but it gets the job done. I then read in the What's New section of the app that you can cast music directly from the Amazon Music app, this makes the experience and A+. Confirmed this streams 24 bit / 192 kHz!

I don't know how this compares sound quality wise to the CXA-81 or a higher end amp but the convenience, ease of use and Amazon HD music integration is why I got this and it's more than exceeded my expectations.

20. D700

D700 Just Add Scotch

Still liking the amp? Any updates?

21. Fish17

Fish17 Forum Resident

Marantz never got back to me about about the bit quality when using the amazon app or Alexa. This was very convenient way to play music direct to the receiver; however, there was no way to confirm the streaming quality. The HEOS app was the only way I could 100% play Amazon Music bit perfect and to be honest the app was serviceable but lacked polish. Its a nice looking unit and I really liked the display but I felt like for the money I could do better.

As a result I decided to return it. With an integrated I was paying for stuff I would never use like the built in phono and DAC. I like the idea of separates because it allows me to upgrade individual components rather than the entire receiver. I could add a headphone amp in the future, upgrade my phono pre amp etc.

I have a used Parsound A23 power amp coming tomorrow and I plan on getting a Freya+ for a preamp. For streaming I'm going to give the Bluesound Node 2i a shot.

I have a new post I started here discussing budget integrated amps versus separates

Separates vs. Integrated (RR2160 or Used Parsound HINTO) - Budget Edition

D700, Tim S and Rick58 like this.
  22. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

I was set on getting the Marantz PM8006 as an upgrade to my PM5005. But the PM7000N looks interesting. Does anyone know how the phono stage in the PM8006 might differ (if at all) from the PM7000N?

I listen mainly to vinyl, which is why I was thinking of going with the 8006. But having the option to occasionally stream music would be nice, hence my interest in the 7000N ... if the phono amp is decent.

Joel S likes this.
  23. Wire Nut

Wire Nut New Member

I have one of these units, I got it two weeks ago. It was a little bit of a hassle to set up and there are some quirks. It sounds really nice, it has an open sound with good imaging and excellent bass and definition across the spectrum. This unit replaces a NAIM Uniti2 all in one and I like the sound of the Marantz better (even though the NAIM was 4 times more expensive. The Heos is especially HD sounding.
    The quirks are it takes over 100 hours of burn in to get the phono section to come into its own... luckily I have a Hagerman FryKlean and did it that way, but for someone without one it will take at least a month of record playing.
    But the most aggravating thing is that the internet drops out occasionally, you have to reset the router to your web service to get it working again. This happens several times a week. Marantz needs to fix this in a firmware update or I would not recommend the PM7000n to anyone.

24. Wire Nut

Wire Nut New Member

Now the 7000n has dropped out of Heos and my tablet app for Heos will not recognize the amp. The Bluetooth sees it and says it is connected but not Heos. The Marantz has really bad software. When you click on "Add a Device" it says it can't be done and consult the quick start guide... which is no help at all.
    BTW- many of you guys will recognize my user name from my posts on the Vinyl Engine, the Asylum & DIY. New here but have read posts on this site before & like this forum.

25. GoldprintAudio

Are you running the unit wired or wireless? Honestly, the issue you are having sounds more like an internet connectivity issue versus an actual issue with HEOS. I've used HEOS based units for a few years here and not run into what you are seeing yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.