Any fans of The Big Bang Theory on CBS?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Really? I knew that was going to be doomed from the start. :laugh: I figured the writers were setting the viewers up with that one. It would make no sense for them to get together so early in the show's run.

It's also possible that they didn't think they were going to be back for a second season (the critics eviscerated the show for most of the first season), so they wanted to go out with an open-ended yet optimistic finale.

2. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I agree, from the beginning it seemed to be totally Sheldon's show. I was actually surprised when I read it was supposed to be made for Leonard. It is one of the few shows that isn't written "down" to the lowest level viewer.

3. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess they figured the Roseanne fans would tune in for Johnny Galecki and instead found a gem in Jim Parsons who plays Sheldon. Very funny episode last night. The subtle Vulcan wave to Leonard's girlfriend, Sheldon trying to find the sweet spot in the movie theater and asking Penny..."s'up"...all great!

4. bencasey

bencasey New Member

Other than Cuoco, who I knew from 8 Simple Rules, I've never seen or heard of any of the other actors. But this is a smart, well-written show. Kind of reminds me of Dweebs, a short-lived sitcom from about 15 years ago with Peter Scolari. That was also a funny show but CBS killed it after about 5 weeks. Very similar concept except it took place at a company. Genius, socially inept men and a hot chick who works there and interacts with them. Nothing is ever new in the TV universe. If you like this show you should seek that one out.

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

As Leonard, Johnny Galecki talks too pinched-sphinchter-y for me. Maybe because I watched all those eps of Roseanne, his acting seems painfully obvious. Tone the "dweeb" down an octave, Johnny.

6. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I don't remember Johnny at all from Rosanne, but I never watched all the seasons of it. I agree with you though, of all the regular characters on the show, he seems the least natural. Maybe he realizes he's not really the star of "his" show, and is trying too hard just to be noticed at all over the others?

7. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I thought they were going for the Roseanne crowd as well, especially when I saw the girl who played Roseanne's daughter (Darlene) all those years come on fairly early in the show. And Johnny came on the Roseanne show as Darlene's boyfriend the whole time he was on Roseanne. She's been off and on the show, but I really thought they were drawing fans from that Roseanne relationship.

So, I too thought Leonard would be the main character. And he has been in a way with most of the plotlines, even the Penny-Doctor relationship. Yes, Sheldon is a great character and they've not only written some great material for him, but he's perfect in his role on the show.

8. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Sheldon is the best...

9. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

When I went to see the show taped, they had a "program" listing cast and bios which placed Johnny Galecki as the lead. However, when they did curtain calls at the end, Jim Parsons was brought out last, clearly a sign that he is the "star" of the show in the public's eyes. I am curious if this has created a bit of resentment in Galecki, since there is a history of that sort of thing in sitcoms.

10. bencasey

bencasey New Member

I kind of thought that Cuoco was the star of the show, since

A) She's already had major parts in 2 prime time series (8 Simple Rules and Charmed)

B) She's gorgeous

C) She would be the one performer that most people have ever heard of

and

D) She's gorgeous

goodiesguy likes this.
  11. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

You forgot, of course:

E) She's gorgeous. :winkgrin:

12. The Keymaster

Yeah, I can see how Leonard is the lead (especially romantically), and everything is sort of seen through his eyes, but Sheldon is the scene-stealer. It's kind of like a musical: the leads are usually a little more bland while the character role(s) steal the show.

Michael Richards was clearly the most popular actor on "Seinfeld," but no one would argue that he was the lead.

I like Galecki a lot though. He's a good protagonist (he evokes pathos in the viewer) and a good foil for Parsons.

13. The Keymaster

It's funny you mention Scolari because "Big Bang Theory" sort of reminds me of "Bosom Buddies," but with science nerds. (That's how I often describe it to people.)

14. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Great episode this week..Hope it continues down this path...

15. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I like Galecki as well, but the only dynamic that I'd completely miss in the show is the Penny/Sheldon one. Any number of people could replace Leonard and there wouldn't be too much of a change, IMHO.

16. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

The Christmas episode was my second favorite next to 'the time machine' one. The napkin scene was hilarious.

17. bencasey

bencasey New Member

This is a very funny show and I'm someone who despises 99% of modern sitcoms. I hope this has a nice run of a few years.

18. Mark W.

Mark W. Forum Resident

I laugh my *** off at this show. Sometimes even more then "Two and a Half Men" which at times has me in stitches.

And yes that beautiful nice little gal on Big Bang is a doll. Nice to see a healthy girl with some curves instead of boney protrutions.

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

+1. I hate most sitcoms.

20. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member

Who foresaw that gift exchange between Penny and Sheldon? Certainly not Sheldon, who had made plans for any contingency. That was riotous... :laugh:

21. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident Thread Starter

Been awhile since anyone posted on this thread. Are we all still enjoying the show? I know I am. Christine Baranski as Sheldon's mom was great in the last new episode. Leonard and Penny??? Ohhh, so close.

Any news on renewal for a 3rd season yet?

22. bencasey

bencasey New Member

That could have been death for the show if they put them together. Look at what happened when they got Dave and Maddie together. It ruined the greatest show of the 80s. No, for the sake of the show, if they want to put them together, do it in the last episode of the series.

23. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

The relationship between Leonard and Penny is the main plot line but the secondaries are so much fun. And Sheldon is stealing the show.

24. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

2009-09-20!!

25. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Christine Baranski plays Leonard's mom. Laurie Metcalf portrays Sheldon's mom. Whereas, this makes three actors from "Rosanne", I wonder if Rosanne Barr will be Wolowitz's mother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.