Any fans of The Big Bang Theory on CBS?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Maybe John Goodman in drag.

2. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident Thread Starter

You've also had Sara Gilbert as Leslie Winkle in a few episodes

3. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I didn't make it clear, but it was Johnny, Laurie and Sara that I was referring to.

It's sorta like on soaps, or on Law & Order, didn't S. Epatha Merkerson (Lieutenant Van Buren) play a previous role as the mother of a victim, and didn't Jerry Orbach (Det. Briscoe) play a lawyer? Come to think of it wasn't there some joke on Rosanne when the original actress that played Becky returned?

4. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member

Anyone anticipating the new season?

5. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Oh, hell yeah! I've been watching re-runs all summer to get geared up and I still find myself LMAO at this already familiar material. :D

6. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Absolutely. And it looks like the rest of the world has caught up to the show now. It's a top 20 show in the ratings and is getting more praise from critics. It's about time. Last week's "Entertainment Weekly" even had a big piece with Johnny, Jim and Kaley.

7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Love the show....but I am not too thrilled with it's new time slot. Why'd they have to move it after Two and a Half Men?

8. The Keymaster

Yeah, that makes no sense. I can kind of see why they want "How I Met Your Mother" to be in the 8:00 anchor spot, but "Big Bang Theory" should be on directly afterward, sandwiched in between HIMYM and the incredibly popular "Two and a Half Men."

9. jon9091

Exactly.....I think the great appeal of this show is that it connects with a younger crowd. It was a more wholesome form of comedy. Now they have to wade through the cesspool of dirty jokes that is Two And A Half Men to get to it. I actually think that is gonna hurt it's ratings.

10. The Keymaster

The funny thing is "The Big Bang Theory" was created by the same guy who does "Two and a Half Men." Yet they are kind of like polar opposites.

To me, CBS' Monday night lineup is probably the best primetime lineup out there. Burying TBBT is a completely dumb move on CBS' part, especially after it had been picking up so much steam late last season and in the summer reruns. 9:30 just seems like a death slot to me. They may as well have put it on Sunday nights.

TAAHM is going to get viewership no matter what, as it's pretty much the highest rated sitcom in the country. They should stick that on at 9:30...or 8, if they want it to be the anchor show.

Then again, all of these shows are in the top 20 or so, so who knows what they're thinking?

What is the fourth show on Monday nights?

11. jon9091

Well....Big Bang Theory would be 4th now would it not?

1. How I Met Your Mother
    2. Accidentally On Purpose (new show trying to push Jenna Elfman again)
    3. Two And A Half Men
    4. Big Bang Theory
    5. CSI Miami

12. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Stronger/weaker. That's how they always line up their shows. How I Met being strong is followed by their new comedy which has no audience yet so they hope people stick around. 2 1/2 Men probably has a stronger foothold as far as the network is concerned so they slide the younger show after it.

It only took me a couple episodes to get into this program. The writing is pretty darn good and well played by the main characters.

13. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

CBS moved Big Bang after Two and a Half Men so it could benefit from the stronger lead-in. Ever since they sandwiched Bang between 2.5 Men and CSI: Miami, Bang's Nielsen numbers have steadily risen. Once first-run programs kick-in, Big Bang is poised to be a Top 5 show. IMO, I think there is a good chance it can leap-frog over (the getting long-in-the-tooth) 2.5 Men in the ratings at some point down the road.

14. The Keymaster

No, what I meant was "what is the fourth show that I hadn't listed?" I had forgotten about the Elfman show. No wonder TBBT got the shaft: they have to wedge AOP in the middle to try and get viewership. I just hope TBBT doesn't suffer because of it.

15. The Keymaster

Errr...wasn't "Big Bang Theory" on at 8 for most of last season? Or am I misremembering that?

16. jon9091

That's when I thought it was on as too (well 7PM my local time) but it's been all over the place during re-runs so perhaps that's what they finally figured 9:30 was it's best time slot.

17. Mister Kite

Exactly right, Jon. This is a programming shift that CBS made earlier in the summer after they announced their fall lineup. If you notice, nearly all of their returning series have been moved to their fall '09 time slots (Big Bang to Mon @ 9:30; The Mentalist to Thurs @ 10, etc.) Bang's numbers have spiked every week since the move, and as I mentioned previously, it is now poised to be a Top 5 or Top 10 show as a result of this ratings growth.

18. The Keymaster

IIRC, it was spiking even earlier than that.

19. Mister Kite

Not to this degree. IIRC, the first time CBS paired it after 2.5 Men, Bangs numbers skyrocketed...

20. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I guess I can't argue with success, but I will miss the one-two punch of Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. Never been a big fan of Two and a Half Men.

21. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member

I'm already chuckling at the promo for the first episode of this coming season, the parodic variant of “what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas,” “what happens at the North Pole doesn’t stay at the North Pole”… with Sheldon’s admission, “Yes, we slept together in the nude.” Smart writing without cliche or predictability...

Dr. Weber

22. The Keymaster

"Men" has its moments. I like it better if I think of it as a sort of satire of stereotypical bad behavior.

But I totally agree: I loved having HIMYM and TBBT back to back. Now I have to watch HIMYM and sit around for an hour until TBBT comes on. Oh well...I guess that's what DVRs are for.

23. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good start to the new season but not the funniest.

24. NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle New Member

I agree, not the funniest but not bad. However I probably wont catch it anymore thanks to the laugh track..It was awful :realmad:, and will prompt me to wait for the DVDs to come out..

25. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member

Any impressions about the second episode of this new season?

I watched the first episode twice. Two observations: 1) serious negativity was introduced, albeit cut with levity, with the rift between Sheldon and Leonard, and 2) the sexual tension between Penny and Leonard was quickly resolved, albeit with the lingering question about how they would resolve the "weird" factor.

Regarding the second episode, an observation: it is telling that Sheldon lost the bet to Wolowitz.

Dr. Weber

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.