DCC Archive any good Jan and Dean CDs out there?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by czeskleba, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member Thread Starter

Just picked up the CD version of "The Jan and Dean Anthology Album" on One Way. Damn, it does not sound very good. Can anyone recommend to me a decent-sounding Jan and Dean Greatest Hits CD? One that has the *original* mixes?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Jason,

The original stereo mixes on Jan & Dean stuff really suck big time.

The best way to hear these guys is on the old MONO Liberty albums. The mono mixes sound awesome, the stereo's sound thin, and are badly balanced, vocally.

One of the few times I would authorize a remix be done over the original stereo version.

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member Thread Starter

Hmm. Thanks for the comments, Steve. It's been awhile since I've heard these songs, and today I didn't really take notice of the quality of the stereo mixes (on the Anthology CD) because my ears were hurting too much from the mastering.

Apparently the 2-disc EMI "All the Hits" CD features remixes. I've avoided it heretofore because I read that Jan dislikes the remixes and because I saw Ron Furmanek's name in the credits. Has anyone heard it and is willing to comment on whether it's any good?

Are there any CDs out there with the mono original mixes and which are decently mastered? Or is vinyl the only way to go as far as enjoying Jan and Dean?

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Varese "Teen Suite" CD does have the mono single versions of their early recordings, many transfered from 45's themselves and does sound decent overall. Great liner notes to boot. The "Surf City: The Best of Jan & Dean" CD in the Legendary Masters Series also uses the Ron Furmanek remixes. The original stereo mixes of their Greatest Hits are also used on the "10 Best" budget CD. I'm used to the Furmanek remixes of their material and there is tuff in print only on the Furmanek mastered comps. The 2 CD "From Surf City To Drag City" does use the same remixes although I don't have the set but have the Legendary Masters Series comp. Get the Varese disc I mentioned even though Bill Inglot did the mastering.

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Bradley Olson ]

5. xios

xios Senior Member

Find a copy of the mid 70's compilation on United Artists-2 lps called "Gotta Take That One Last Ride"- it has all the mono mixes of all their hits.

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Now I have something to look for. Thanks George. You'd like the Teen Suite CD on Varese if you like their early material in mono.

7. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I have a few reissue Jan & Dean 45's on EMI's Silver Spotlight series. Great full mono sound on those(especially "Surf City" and "Dead Man's Curve") as opposed to the American Pie reissues which use the stereo versions. They're worth seeking out if you can't find the original mono albums.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's amazing how one mix from a simple three or four-track tape can sound so good, and another, made from the same tape about two weeks later, sound so bad... :mad:

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Hoffman ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.