Any good record stores in Dallas??

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Tony Caldwell, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

It was probably some skinheads.

2. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

High rents are putting stores in crappier areas of cities (or no stores actually). Crime is going up and guess where.

3. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

It is named Half Price Books, not Half Priced Books. They have many locations in the Dallas Fort Worth area. If you are looking for vinyl and have limited time, skip all their locations. Even the “Mega” store has a mediocre selection at best.

For CDs, their stores are more worthwhile. Unfortunately, they frequently store higher priced CDs out of the case behind the counter in plastic bags that mercilessly scratch the playing surface.

4. LordThanos1969

I went to Josey Records when I was in town a few weeks ago. I didn’t see the Bill’s section, but it is a big store and maybe I missed it.

5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Half Price Books Dallas has been terrible for years.

LordThanos1969, jamesc and Jgirar01 like this.
  6. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

The Bill’s section signage is there, but it’s not super prominent so I could see how one could miss it. Josey also recently added a Bill’s CD section. Same deal as the records - no organization, but priced. I’ll see if I can take some pics next time I’m there

LordThanos1969 and jamesc like this.
  7. LordThanos1969

Thanks, Brad. I will look forward to the pics. Hopefully, you can find something worthwhile in the CDs.

Daddy-O4 likes this.
  8. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Just guessing but it seems like the emergence of a quality record store like Josey Records has probably been a bad thing for music media at Half Price Books. Back when HPB had a decent selection, Josey didn’t exist.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  9. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Daddy-O4 and jamesc like this.
  10. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

No, actually a good thing if Josey is typical of new stores in '22 with high prices on commons......people will go to 1/2 Price assuming they have cheaper prices.....I hear their condition is still stinky like a few decades ago and picked through hard everywhere.

11. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

Here is a pic of the Bill's LP signage. This section is near the front of the store. Since I'm not an LP buyer, I can't comment as to the quality of what's in the bins.

[​IMG]

The Bill's CD's are all in cardboard boxes atop folding tables. If you're CD shopping, you almost certainly saw the boxes, but unless you noticed the taped piece of paper, you may not have made the connection that they are from Bill's store. I only found one CD to buy from about 20-25 boxes.

[​IMG]

12. LordThanos1969

Thanks for the pics. I somehow missed both of the sides, but I did go through those CDs (and didn’t find anything worth mentioning). I think Joseys puts most of their collectible CDs on Discogs these days.

Daddy-O4 likes this.