Any Los Angeles-based Record Collectors?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by StevenC, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

Buena Park record show is back.
    Last Sunday in September. 9/26
    Masks required indoor event.
    Got my green card in the mail.Looking forward to picking up some good records.
    See you there.

Matt Starr and Nephrodoc like this.
  2. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

It will be great. I'll drive 2 days to buy. Every dealer locked and loaded. I hear overseas buyers will be there big time.

3. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Anyone go to the Buena Park Record Swap Meet this past weekend? I was really looking forward to going but wound up spending the Sunday changing out a dead receiver for a new one in my rig.

4. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I blew it off. I smelled something in the air about Covid and SoCal by some dealers and store owners. Maybe next year.

5. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Anyone comment on prices since the record shows restarted?

6. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

About the same, but; stock dealers have is lighter, picked through......everybody is a dealer now....stores are full of Discogs/eBay etc. lookum uppers.

7. goat65cars

I made it Sunday and it was packed.Got there early at 7:15 and the line to get in was around the side of the building.But the line moved fast and everyone got in. Good amount of sellers but not all tables were taken. Picked up a few decent Records at pretty good prices.My best find was a Pink Floyd UK Harvest Meddle (A-7 HTM/B-6 HTM) + Goodbye Cream UK Polydor 583 053 (A/3 B/3) Will be back next month.

Partyslammer and Matt Starr like this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Who told you that? I read about the exact numbers, what they paid for the land and the building on it and what they sold it for. You don't get the tens of millions they got for an empty old building. They owned it lock stock and barrel. Pretty sure there was no need for a gofundme page.

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Were they $40-$50 each? Condition? Covers?

10. goat65cars

Yes they were a little over $100 for both. Meddle is in Vg++ condition. Cream is in better shape a M-. It's nice just to get back into the swing of things a little bit .

11. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Has anyone gone to any of the pop-ups that Egon runs at Rappcats? Are they worth checking out?

12. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I miss the Rhino pop-up sales.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I miss the Pasadena record swapmeet every month. Back when it was good, it was unbelievably great!

14. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

They stopped the Pasadena show by the flea market? Same as Buena....you'd fight with the dealers elbow to elbow. It was great 30 years ago....I'd run out of $ just with Bagatelle's 45rpm table.

15. goat65cars

For Jazz collectors in the So Cal., L.A. or Fullerton, Orange County area: White Rabbit (old name Burger Records) just got quite a nice collection of original Jazz Pressings from a collector that was just admitted to a nursing home. Records for sale ranging from $50 -$250 most 50'S + early 60's titles.Miles Davis + John Coltrane just to name a few. I would guess there is between 50 - 100 Records.Just was down there today so don't know how long they will last.Just thought I would let people know in case there is any interest. Store is located in Fullerton.

16. Partyslammer

Buena Park record show has been cancelled for tomorrow (Jan 30th) likely due to the Covid surge but will happen on Feb 27th.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Sounds nice. But couldn't there be any $25 LPs there, or are they pushing hard for top dollar?

18. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Those nursing home collections are coming about a lot, especially L.A.. I bet Buena Park gets dumped for Feb.. You think White Rabbit would sell under discogs/eBay completeds prices on old jazz?

19. Partyslammer

I went to the Buena Park Record Swap Meet today. I'd guess there was about 70% of a typical full room of vendors and buyers looked to be close to a normal amount of people although foot traffic seemed to thin considerably by early afternoon. Everyone, vendors and sellers masked. Most people were cool with giving people space while rifling through boxes.

Found a few deals, spent only about $50. It really seemed there was either boxes of really thrashed records or real collectables priced too much towards the high end. Thankfully, a few long time sellers were there that always have some stuff worth my time. I saw a couple sellers with 1st issues of The Ramones debut in decent shape but I thought close to $200 was asking too much. There was one seller with a ton of Japanese rock and metal records, most in NM condition but nothing I was looking for. Lot more used CD sellers then I've seen in the last few years although mostly thrift store quality junk.

zphage likes this.
  20. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I know of 2 people who went to the Buena show....their fave dealers were no shows like Bagatelle and their thousands of $2 45's. Place had lots of great stuff but you had to look a long time. Yes, 1/2 the room is like that Ramones LP at $200, book prices. Lots of cheap CD's. Paper goods are thinning out or high priced. Very few out of the country buyers compared to pre covid. Near $5 gas in SoCal doesn't help.

21. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

hello . i will be in LA very soon . i wont have a car to start with . Going to CD trader ( Tampa stop ) and Atomic ( North Hollywood stop ) by subway . Fairly safe neighborhood to go to by public transport ?
    many thanks

22. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

No subways cept near downtown. North of the 10 freeway is safe cept the drug dealers and bums around Hollywood but not many stores, south no stores and rough by bus. Anything over the hill is safe, CD Trader, Freakbeat, Atomic....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.