Any love for Dolenz, Jones, Boyce & Hart spawned from the Monkees?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

They're not on the CD I own...

2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I get what you're saying, and in regard to the self-titled LP, it's true enough... But in regard to "More of..." I'd have to disagree: Boyce and Hart had their hands in a few of the songs, but it was mainly a hodge-podge of involvement from everyone and their mother...

3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Pizza likes this.
  4. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I've just had another attempt at needledropping this LP as I think I can improve on an earlier effort a few years ago (with my previous turntable and cart).

Listening again, I come away thinking it's a pretty solid album. Most of the songs are good, and some are very good (and, yes, there maybe two or three mediocre ones). The 'humorous' bits between some tracks are a bit too 'quaint' for my taste, but they don't really detract from the overall impression. The unnecessary showing-off of then current cutting-edge tech is also questionable.

'I Remember The Feeling' is the obvious standout track, though it isn't really any more than harmless catchy pop - sung, slightly bewilderingly, by thirty-somethings (thus giving 'Teenager In Love' the status of more-than-bewildering). But there are also some more mature offerings, like 'Sail On Sailor' and 'It Always Hurts The Most In The Morning' (even if the latter sounds a bit too similar to the McCartney/Badfinger tune 'Come and Get It').

My praise for this album may be qualified, but at the end of the day, I have to say I like it.

Hep Alien, RobRoyF and Pizza like this.
  5. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Can you contact me privately? I'd like that needledrop - all the ones I've found online were awful.

Thanks! :)

David Austin likes this.
  6. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Late comer to getting this album as a fan. This album is alright overall - probably give it a 6 out of 10. I enjoy about half the tracks. "I Remember the Feeling" is such a strong track.

I never had a copy of it until the 2000s. When the needledrop came out on CD, I bought it online.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

That’s a fair rating. I don’t really dislike anything on it but nothing is really memorable either. They really needed that one song that truly pops.

8. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I saw DJB&H in concert when the album was current. And yes, it was at a time when Micky's arm was in a sling.

I remember it being an enjoyable, if not outstanding show. As others have noted, "I Remember the Feeling" is really the only stand-out song from that era.

My one dominant memory of the show: as noted, Keith Allison was their musical director and guitarist. The encore was Keith singing "Get Back" — and given his vocal similarity and resemblance to McCartney (right down to the Beatle haircut he was sporting), the effect was rather uncanny.

Hep Alien and Pizza like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.