Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I just think it is unfortunate that Cornette will not be on there and because of it I am already less interested. That doesn't mean I won't watch but it isn't a high priority. Might catch up on it this weekend I am two episodes behind anyway.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Wrestling related: Netflix has new episodes of The Toys That Made Us and one of them is about pro-wrestling action figures.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. MikeInFla

Corny responds to joke in NWA. I won't post it, but I will link it and you can hear it on his podcast but if you don't want to listen you can read here.

411MANIA | Jim Cornette Weighs in on NWA Controversy, Takes Issue With NWA’s Handling Of It, Lack of an Reaction Before Episode’s Release

This got me thinking - what would happen in this day and age if Bobby Heenan or Jesse Ventura made a comment like this? They did it all the time, as did Jim. Jim said he used it on more than one occasion to describe Big Bubba and Bob Backlund. He also states you can hear the line in one of the matches on WWE Network.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I read his (non)-apology. It's obviously a racist joke, and even IF it wasn't racist, it's in incredibly bad taste. IMO, it's a better world we live in when this kind of garbage is NOT tolerated, regardless of who says it.

NaturalD, Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  5. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I watched wrestling starting in the early 60s with the twice a week shows that were on in NY. Thursday night and Saturday night from Washington DC with Ray Morgan. Around 1966, it was down to one show, on Sunday nights at midnight, too late to stay up for and then to UHF. Was a fan all through the 70s until the end of WCW on TNT. Haven't bothered watching since.

6. MikeInFla

Check on the NWA on YouTube. I believe you will enjoy it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. MikeInFla

[​IMG]
    WWE Hall of Famer Rocky Johnson passes away
    WWE is saddened to learn that Rocky “Soul Man” Johnson (born Wayde Douglas Bowles), a WWE Hall of Famer and former World Tag Team Champion, has passed away at age 75.

Johnson’s sports-entertainment career began in the mid-1960s when he made a memorable impression in the National Wrestling Alliance. However, Johnson would go on to find his highest levels of success when he began his WWE tenure in 1983.

Following his debut in 1983, Johnson had several memorable rivalries with the likes of Greg “The Hammer” Valentine, Don Muraco and Adrian Adonis. However, alongside Tony Atlas, Johnson is best remembered for being the first African-American World Tag Team Champions in WWE history as a member of The Soul Patrol.

The “Soul Man” retired from the ring in 1991, but his imprint would continue to be felt on WWE for years to come. Post-retirement, Johnson would go on to have a hand in training his son, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. The Rock would become one of the biggest stars in the history of sports-entertainment and carried on Johnson’s name with pride.

In 2008, Johnson achieved the highest honor in sports-entertainment when he was inducted by The Rock into the WWE Hall of Fame where he will be forever enshrined as one of sports-entertainment’s most influential performers.

WWE extends its condolences to Johnson’s family, friends and fans.

FVDnz and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

9. MikaelaArsenault

10. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

RIP Rocky Johnson

Legend.

11. MikaelaArsenault

12. MikaelaArsenault

13. MikaelaArsenault

14. MikaelaArsenault

15. MikeInFla

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing, I have never seen that! The Rock went from a fro to a pineapple head to bald! I actually miss old announcer Vince.

16. MikaelaArsenault

You're welcome!

MikeInFla likes this.
  17. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

Nick Aldis the Real World Champion

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The problem is that no one knows who he is. And he has worked it HARD.

Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  19. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Far as I'm concerned, he became the Real World Champion when he married Mickie James.

Thwacko and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Found this and immediately got nostalgic. Thats me of course, running the show in my trademark black and ponytail.. Look who the hell we had.

MikeInFla, blutiga and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. MikeInFla

Gotta admit the Cornette Experience has been truly interesting lately. I love Corny and his commentary but don't always agree with him on AEW. I do agree that I don't "get" Marko Stunt and Orange Cassidy at all and really have no desire to see them. I agree with Cornette that wrestling kids and sex dolls is stupid and makes fun of the business (Omega). And I agree nothing is better than Flair/Steamboat. But I love what AEW is doing to the point that I no longer watch WWE.

His recent feud with Dave Meltzer is quite entertaining. He devoted half of his episode talking about it. Here is more info:
    Jim Cornette & Dave Meltzer End Friendship Over Kenny Omega

FritzL and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

So its that time of year when the WrestleMania card begins to take shape and from the matches that appear to be happening it looks to be a very underwhelming show this year.

Brock Lesnar vs. Drew McIntyre - WWE Championship Match
    Bray Wyatt vs. Roman Reigns - WWE Universal Championship Match
    The Undertaker vs. AJ Styles (Reported by Dave Meltzer The Undertaker vs. AJ Styles planned for WWE WrestleMania 36 )
    Randy Orton vs. Edge
    John Cena vs. Elias (Reported by Dave Meltzer John Cena returning to action at WWE WrestleMania 36
    Charlotte Flair vs. Rhea Ripley

This doesn't look to be setting the world on fire at all. While AJ is clearly one of the best guys under contract to WWE I don't think even he can get a good match out of Undertaker at this point and I think Taker should have called it a day years ago and I think it says a lot that WWE need to drag him back every year for Mania season due to the inability to actually create new stars. I love Edge he is probably in my top 10 favorite guys of all time but I have zero interest in seeing him wrestle Randy Orton who hasn't been interesting in over 10 years and just goes through the motions most of the time. Wasting Cena on Elias is well a waste especially given this would be the 3rd WrestleMania where they have had some sort of interaction. Cena is very much an extreme part-time guy now with his film career taking off but you would think they would give him something much bigger for Mania than just a nothing match with Elias. The two title matches are just eh like who cares at this point about either of the belts which shouldn't be the case but sadly it is given how poorly the belts are generally treated by the company. I am also sure we get some sort of overlong Triple H match so he can have his "I'm a star look at my big entrance and super long match" segment we get every year as well.

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. MikeInFla

Yep, and I will bet Taker goes over AJ which shouldn't happen at this point in either's career.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Well you know, The 50+-year-old man who wrestles once a year and doesn't have his streak needs to go over the guy who wrestles full time because that is the WWE logic.

Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  25. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

NXT Takeover: Portland has been uniformly excellent, which is par for the course.

Matthew Tate and Stormrider77 like this.