Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Humbruh

Humbruh Forum Resident

That wasn't the typical rush rush Goldberg squash. Morrus was calling the match of course and slowed it down. Notice how Goldberg wasn't rushing or spearing anyone? It was done well and better then most of matches he ever had in his career.

He also tore La Parka's ACL. That's 5 in like what..3 years? Not good. Undertaker probably did over the course of his career. But I don't recall any bad injuries he caused due to lack of skill.. The HBK injury was just bad luck from both. No one to really blame for that except the casket being there.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Modern-day Goldberg almost killed The Undertaker by dropping him on his head ... and didn't take that as a sufficient sign to hang them up.

Matthew Tate and tonyc like this.
  3. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

"I never injured anyone": :D

[​IMG]

Dugan and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Dude, how long have you been in the business? Absolutely nothing in all these injuries is unheard of. Scotty got a cracked orbital? Boo hoo. Have any clue how many people Scott injured? He was snug as F. Guys would quit if they had to wrestle him. Meng/Haku/King Tonga? Same deal.
    I can't recall a single guy refusing to work with Goldberg. I have worked with literally hundreds of green wrestlers and Bill looked good from the start. He was never great but a monster doesn't have to be a chain wrestling wizard.

5. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

There's not much out there on Undertaker's injury list, I would say he got injured by other wrestlers more than he inflicted himself. The only ones on record are the back injury to Shawn Michaels which both have stated was a complete accident. Hulk Hogan claimed Undertaker injured his neck with a tombstone in the title winning match but everyone has called Hogan a lier on that one and it was an attempt to shorten Taker's career. I think the only other one was knocking out Steve Austin in their PPV match and again that was a complete accident which both wrestlers apologized to each other. I think that's the bigger picture overall, most of these guys usually apologize to each other if they cause accidental harm in the ring. I'm going to guess that Goldberg did nothing of the such and as a result leaves sour grapes and a bad reputation with other wrestlers.

Another great example of this is when Owen Hart broke Austin's neck with a pile driver. It was completely odd that Owen never apologized to Austin after the match, Bret had to do that on his behalf and stated that Owen was most likely embarrassed by causing the injury but was disappointed in his brother for not manning up. It somewhat tarnished Owen's track record of being a safe worker even though he was one of the best in the business and one of the nicest to boot. I think it took a long time for Austin to forgive Owen and thankfully he speaks of the good times they have rather than dwelling over the injury... a lot of respect being shown.

Doggiedogma and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yea modern Goldberg should be doing other things but we are taking about wcw Goldberg

7. RayS

It doesn't speak to his level of safety, but I remember what Kevin Nash said about him as WCW tried to prepare him for PPV matches - They tried to get him to go 10 minutes at a house show and he couldn't do it. ... And pretty much NEVER could.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

50 year old guy unable to power up another big 50 year old guy speaks of someone’s safety when they were 30?

Nash rarely had long matches that weren’t brawls . To be honest though with what they pushed Goldberg as, giant tough monster, it would be pretty silly him having 10 minute matches all the time

imo the end of Goldberg having better matches on a consistent level needed after his Halloween Havoc match against DDP. After that it became non stop squash. Look how long the match was too
    Halloween Havoc (1998) - Wikipedia

9. Matthew Tate

I’d say until Halloween havoc 1998 how matches were a lot better and different than people remember. After that it turned into what we remember . Ironically enough that Bret Hart match is one Of the better matches after 1998 for Goldberg. His comments about Goldberg being 0 out of 10 on skills ins still silly. At best Goldberg was a 4/10.

10. RayS

Safety is partly what you're physically capable of, and partly a mindset. The Ultimate Warrior didn't haphazardly throw Bobby Heenan around because he wasn't physically capable of handling him safely, he apparently just didn't give a s**t that he was hurting him.

I didn't say anything about Goldberg needing to be in 10-minute matches "all the time". Squashing guys in a minute on your way to the title is one thing. But having three-minute title matches with just two moves in them, repeatedly, is not sustainable. For a guy who was a champion to even HAVE a web page dedicated to his matches that DID last more than 10 minutes is pathetic.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

What’s this page you are talking about? Can’t be what I posted. I simply gave the link to the 1998 Halloween havoc, the end of his better run of matches, and it had the time listed. Same as any other PPV link in any other company. I was pointing out why did DDP get a 10 minutes match out Of Goldberg but Nash couldn’t?

12. RayS

Here's the web page I'm talking about:

10 Goldberg Matches That Were Actually Longer Than Usual

Nash's comment about getting 10 minutes out of Goldberg was not, at least as far as my memory serves, about a 10-minute match with him, but with anybody, when Nash was booking WCW.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Humbruh

Humbruh Forum Resident

What does having to be in the business have to do with the convo? You trying flex? LOL A broken orbital isn't just something you just shrug off and get back to work like Steiner did. You're not suppose to fly at all with that injury cause it will make it worse. Steiner got that injury not from a wrestling move..but Goldberg getting too overly excited and potatoing him with a real punch.

14. Matthew Tate

That’s pretty funny how many long matches WWF got out of him in his one year 2002-2003 run.

15. Matthew Tate

What’s also funny is Bret hart had more than one match against Goldberg and just one resulted in an injury. Had that match never happened Bret would probably say he never had any issues with Goldberg the times they worked together . DDP said some positives about working with Bill

16. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Maybe, maybe not, but you'd probably be a little bitter if your career was basically ended and your life forever changed to a careless guy kicking you in the head in the ring when protecting your opponent is as important as anything else you do. No, I don't think Goldberg did it on purpose; he was just careless and inexperienced. There was also the move in the same match where Goldberg did not receive Bret's figure four around the ring post correctly which resulted in Bret dropping down and hitting his head on the floor (where there was a mat, but watch the footage, you can see Bret is disoriented immediately afterwards).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

You never saw Bret fail a hanging figure four? How is Goldberg supposed to help him set his leg and then hop up to hook it?
    I reject the terms "careless" and "inexperienced". Its a case of these things happen. Was D-Lo "careless" and "inexperienced" when he dropped Droz? Of course not.
    Besides the stroke he suffered while biking is what ultimately ended hope of working again. And again THAT cannot be blamed on Goldberg either.
    Bret sometimes makes me sad.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

IIRC, the wrestler receiving the move is supposed to reach forward and grab hold of both, that way when Bret falls to the mat, it is a soft landing, but since Goldberg did not, his descent was quicker and he hit hard. Think of it as giving a little resistance and helping your opponent fall easily, rather than doing nothing and letting him crash to the mat with no help. Again, I don't think it was Goldberg trying to hurt anybody; he was just careless and inexperienced (and the latter is inarguable since he had only been wrestling a little over two years, which is inexperienced relative to the wrestlers he routinely worked with in main events and TV non-squash matches).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Matthew Tate

i don't like the word careless. i doubt goldberg ever was trying to hurt anyone which to me the word careless implies if they got hurt it didn't bother him

20. Matthew Tate

I was just thinking, when is the last time ROH, impact, AEW or WWE had a Mutli month feud between two wrestlers with several matches ?

21. RayS

McIntyre-Lashley has been going on for months and many matches, with HIAC next.

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yeah it's been a while. Has me thinking Mox should get another shot at Omega. That should have gone on MUCH longer. I was never a fan of Dean Ambrose, I thought he was a goon. But man, I love Moxley. Shows how poor the character was in WWE.

I miss the days of long fueds. Savage/Steamboat seemed to go on for a long time. Piper/Hogan, Orndorff/Hogan, this list goes on and on.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Owens/Zayn

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

Yeah feuds aren’t the same name. They use to last awhile . Even in the 00s when WWE they lasted longer

25. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Maybe not a feud, but the storyline with Reigns and his cousins has been going on since last summer and it looks like it's not going anywhere. It's good storytelling with a lot of levels and layers, and I like how they have been rotating a lot of talent into the story giving them main event level spots with it... but typical WWE, focus on one story and the rest of the roster is stuck with nonsense.

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.