Any TFF (Tears for Fears) fans out there?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McGuy, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

It was the last original TFF composition until I Love You But I'm Lost & Stay. I thought Floating was going to be their swansong but I am glad I was proved wrong. It was originally intended for a big anthology called "welcome to your life" that eventually got cancelled. There was also another planned release called "The Tears For Fears Story". You can find the tracklist here https://www.amazon.com/Tears-Fears-Story/dp/B000CR8RDS but this was also cancelled. We ended up with Gold, a US mid price compilation which was comprehensive but uninspiring.

I wish they would go back and remaster ELAHE from the original tapes. I don't think it's too loud. To me it's just a bit compressed and flat sounding.

Interesting to see ABC are the special guest for select dates in England. I remember as a teenager in the 90s buying all those cheap compilations of ABC and TFF that Mercury records licensed out to budget labels. They ended up having more compilations than actual albums.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    JulesRules likes this.
  2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I like The Hurting, but I don't love it, and I never listen to it. When I am in the mood for TfF, it is almost always Songs from the Big Chair, Seeds of Love or Everybody Loves a Happy Ending, with Elemental getting the occasional play.

3. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

tim palmer did some great stuff with them. there was a very late career lp. name escapes me. that was absolutely brilliant

i think this was from it?

4. rkt88

THIS is from the lp i was trying to remember! sheer brilliance :)

top that ( rock bands ) :)

5. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Better than ELAHE, yes, better than Seeds, no. I'd rank it fourth. But to be honest they have not made bad albums, only Elemental and ELAHE somehow leave me a bit underwhelmed.
    That's from "Raoul and the Kings of Spain", the second (and last) TFF album without Curt. Get the 2009 reissue if you don't have it, the b-sides are just as stunning :)

6. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

From another thread:

060254770692 Tears For Fears The Seeds Of Love CD 2 31.12.19 Deluxe CD
    060254770699 Tears For Fears The Seeds Of Love CD 5 31.12.19 Super Deluxe CD
    060254770716 Tears For Fears The Seeds Of Love LP 1 31.12.19 180g Vinyl

12/31/19 indicates that the release date is either not specified, or the release is canceled.

7. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

I loved Smiths, Echo, New Order and Cabaret Voltaire but also TFF, totally underrated band.

8. rkt88

another tim palmer helmed record, if memory serves. he did great work with them. though nothing (for me) of theirs will ever top "mad world".

9. JulesRules

Yes, Tim has been with the band since 1993, I think.

10. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Songs from the Big Chair is great: the hits hold up really well, while the deeper cuts are astonishingly rewarding and creative. "Listen" is downright Mark Hollis-esque, which I consider a high compliment.

Can't really get into The Hurting or Seeds of Love, partly because I strongly dislike the title track on the latter album. The verses are an OK "Summer in the City" meets "I Am the Walrus" pastiche, but the chorus has always rubbed me the wrong way, big-time.

Haven't heard their other records yet.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  11. JulesRules

When I bought it, it was the loudest CD I'd ever heard! It's still one of the loudest in my collection... the flatness is just a result of the loudness war that was applied to what appears to be a very well-mixed album underneath that surface.

At least the US got a slightly better mastering, but even then it's not worth writing home about.

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Lucky!

So since starting thread have you collected the small but great catalog?

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You should play Pam the track that was inspired by Wyatt, "I Believe".

Personally I prefer the "Soulful Re-recording" mix of that tune, and Oleta does a great version on Going To California concert DVD.

JulesRules and c-eling like this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I love The Hurting, but I'm a huge synth and electronic music fan.

1. Big Chair
    2. The Hurting
    3. Seeds of Love
    4. Elemental
    5. Raoul
    6. Happy Ending

Almost chronological. Hmm, maybe I don't want The Tipping Point after all. :laugh:

Full disclosure, I still liked Happy Ending but didn't love SQ or the Beatle-esque songs nearly as much as predecessors.

murphmanz and omikron like this.
  15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I’m spinning original US cd tonight while I wait, and wait, and wait......

:sigh:

morgan1098 likes this.
  16. NJ Englishman

NJ Englishman Forum Resident

As a teenager in the 1980s, I was a hardcore prog rock / metal / 70s rock fan, and floppy haired New Romantics had no appeal to me either. Nevertheless, there was something about the hit singles from Tears for Fears’ debut album that really spoke to me, so I went and bought the album to the disgust of some of my rocker friends.

I still think that their 80s material is wonderful, with a sophistication that is a cut above most of their contemporaries.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    JulesRules likes this.
  17. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

They're all in the Seeds of Love 30th thread yapping about price points and ship dates.

18. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I have had Everybody Loves A Happy Ending for years, but honestly only played it a few times. During the 'lockdown', I've played the album a lot and love it.

CybrKhatru, JeffMo and wrappedinsky like this.
  19. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Still am but waning a lot empty promises on new cd and how the let seeds of love deluxe edition set on shelf
    since 2015 allegedly because of one members of the band we all know..

20. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

This album really does need a remaster!

JeffMo and JulesRules like this.
  21. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I would buy it in a second.

JulesRules likes this.
  22. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Does anyone have a list of who sings on which tracks on the Graduate album?

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Saw on FB that the debut single "Suffer The Children" was celebrating its 40th anniversary. That surprised me and I thought it might be wrong given The Hurting didn't come out until spring of '83.

But I looked it up, and sure enough the first two TFF singles were released well before that and in fact re-recorded for the album.

I'm going to pull out the SDE and play those original singles later today.

JulesRules and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.