Anybody still go to record shows?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

They have one in Atlanta every three or four months. I enjoy going to see who I can see and usually walk out with something. However it's usually the same dealers with the same stock over and over. Which is great, it allows them to build a relationship with the attendees but I usually don't find things I really hope to find. Again, I know it's hit and miss and if you're looking for something in particular you're usually going to be out of luck.

2. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

not for a couple of years now...just too crowded for me> Thrift stores have more interesting things IMO.

sean

vmajewsk likes this.
  3. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes!

Scope J likes this.
  4. I still go to every edition of the Utrecht international record fair, but not much else.

Scope J and Lightworker like this.
  5. gohill

gohill Senior Member

No, can't stomach the stench of stale BO nowadays, so give them a miss.

Tommyboy, pig bodine and rod like this.
  6. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Every so often - there are quite a few in Brighton during the course of a year. I'm hoping to get to Utrecht for the first time this November.

I've been trying out different towns instead over the last couple of months (apologies for those outside the UK who won't appreciate the geography here) - instead of heading to Brighton I went 30 minutes on the train to Chichester where there are a couple of nice shops (Helter Skelter and Time Machine). Yesterday, I went to Eastbourne for the first time in around 25 years as I'd noticed there were a few shops had opened up. Well worth it - amongst other things I picked up something that's been on my 'want' list for a long time - 'Up' by R.E.M. (just Around the Sun to go now). I know I could get it via Discogs etc, but it's just not the same as finding it in a rack somewhere.

MonkeysCantSwing likes this.
  7. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Yes, I go to almost every Ottawa Community Record Show ever since the first show ever at Carleton University. In fact, I also sold my records there from my half-table and I do try to price my records as fairly as possible without the reliance on using Discogs/eBay pricing. It also helps that I clean my records before selling them with my RCM as well.

8. Misterroper

Misterroper Forum Resident

How do I stream these record shows?

9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I used to go all the time. But I can't remember the last one I went to. It has been a long time since there was a show in Little Rock. I doubt I would go at this point since I have most every thing I want and was looking for.

10. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

one of the local big bar's has been putting on one once a year. I didn't go because I have everything I want.

11. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

pay someone $5 for you to look through spotify while someone else plays music on their phone.

12. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

Not anymore. The prices are too jacked up. In not rich enough as a lot of the people who enjoy them. Way overpriced for commons! Anything Beatles is way overpriced. Same for Elvis.

13. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I'm probably showing my age here but what the heck is a record show? I've never heard of one.

14. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

A room where someone shows you a record. Its kind of like seafood..... where someone asks you if you like seafood.

15. Tropehjelm

Tropehjelm Forum Resident

As often as i can

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Not for many years, but I enjoyed the ones I went to.

17. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I went to every show in southern New England for about 35 years. It's now been nearly 2 years since I've been to one. I did not find anything to buy in the last year of going so I just stopped. Perhaps I'll go this fall.

18. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I've been to one in Orlando twice. Both times it was well attended. I found one gem called MERSEY BEAT.
    It was on parlophone and had 2 Beatles songs. It is a 2 record set with groups the UK that were playing in the
    same clubs the Beatles performed at prior to their world wide fame. There was a good mix of LPs, 45's and CDs.
    We also have a smaller show in Fort Lauderdale. Not as nice or as well attended as Orlando, but I usually manage
    to find something I like.

ODShowtime likes this.
  19. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I've been to three this year. Although I typically don't find a many gems as I used to, I always have a lot of fun.

20. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Geez I moved here 5 years ago and never even thought to check for record shows. OTOH, like others here my basement is essentially a record show.:shh:

vmajewsk and Fender Relic like this.
  21. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Ain't never been there...they tell me it's nice.

22. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I was just at one on Sunday. They have them 4 times a year and iver time I seem to be getting less and less every time I go.

23. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

'Go to,' yes. Buy much? No. It's a fun atmosphere and as mentioned it's usually the same traveling dealers from the region. The shows used to be an easy way to find decent stuff about a decade ago before the vinyl boom. But now it's easy to find great sealed records sitting on the shelves of stores. However, the demographics at shows do appear to be skewing younger each year and that's nice. I just don't have much interest in most of the oldies and classic rock that tends to be prevalent at these events.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  24. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

Used to go several times a year to the Atlanta show.
    Then I discovered Discogs. Now I don't have to even leave the house. 99% success rate on NM or Mint records!

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Haven't been to one since earlier this year (schedule conflicts).
    Hoping now that I finally got a TT earlier this summer (& have slowly been building my vinyl collection again).
    I don't find much at thrift shops (not in the condition I want anyway).

[​IMG]

Darryl

Sean and Miriam like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.