Anybody still "Rokken With Dokken" ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 4stringking73, Oct 6, 2014.

1. BA Baracus

BA Baracus Forum Resident

The End machine new tune.. Im really digging it.. just jumped on the preorder, cant wait

slipkid, Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Man, George stays active with what seems like multiple projects happening at once. It would be interesting to see what these deals are comprised of because the budgets have to be very limited for studio time, mixing, mastering, distribution, marketing, promotion and videos. They must frequently break even, otherwise, there is no way George and his contemporaries (that are not with major labels or that are not multi-millionaires) could continue to get these projects off the ground, because it is unlikely George is financing these ventures.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Anybody have the End:Machine CD and have any comments?

Weird mastering credits on this at discogs. It says it was mastered by Alessandro Del Vecchio and remastered by Maor Appelbaum. As this is a brand new release, what is the difference between mastering and REmastering?

The End Machine - The End Machine

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Good questions. I got it a few days ago but no time to listen yet. Unfortunately my car is in the (body) shop now (hit a deer) and the car is where I have the most time to listen to new music anymore so....no idea when I will finally have the time to spin the CD....the damn rent-a-car does not have a CD player! Neither do virtually any cars made after like 2016 from what I am hearing (??). A friend of mine just got a new car and he told me he could not find a single model with a built-in CD player, everything is all USB/bluetooth/phone hookups etc. Sigh. If I outlive my current car I will have to buy a portable CD player with builtin bluetooth just to listen to my music in a car, which I find to be just insane....

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i have it on the way so hopefully by this weekend

6. agentalbert

I sent an email to Maor via the website for his mastering studio to ask and he replied:

Hello.
    Thank you for getting in touch with me.
    You are right that its very rare to see in modern music releases that albums are remastered as mostly they are just mastered.
    There are albums that I am involved as a mastering engineer and in others I do a Re-mastering process that I take the existing mastered songs and apply small adjustments to enhance it.
    What came in already sounded great so this was just adding a bit more "fairy dust" or whatever you want to call it.

all very minimal things.
    Hope that explained it
    Keep me posted
    Cheers- Maor Appelbaum

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I took it that the band wasn't happy with what Del Vecchio came back with so they paid Applebaum to redo it.
    Pretty much the same thing happened with the first Sweet/Lynch album.

I got it...with the pedigree of the people involved I expected...more. That said it's a solid follow up to the Mason Lynch Mob era.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Interestingly, speaking of DelVecchio I try to avoid anything he is involved in. He makes things sound too much like pop/Journey/kbds and takes the balls out of guitar bands. Just my opinion on a couple bands I decided to check out but didn't like what I heard, then saw he was the common thread.

9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I really like the stuff he's done with Hardline...his writing can be a bit generic but overall I don't have an issue with him.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. agentalbert

Whatever the case, it was nice of Maor to respond and provide an answer. I've written to him before on other releases he's been involved with and he's always responded.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I listened to it tonight & like it a lot. Very Dokken-ish for lack of a better word, that is melodic hard rock.

Curveboy likes this.
  12. agentalbert

I've only listened through a few times in the car, but I'm happy with the album. Not earth shattering, but this better than George, Jeff and Mick could do with Don on vocals at this point. My two favorites so far are:

Burn The Truth
    Alive Today

It's also given me reason to go revisit the first few Lynch Mob albums, and I just ordered one of the War & Peace CD's.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    slipkid, Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Great cover of Unchain The Night...you can find this on the (very worthwhile) Eden's Curse Testament: The Best of Eden's Curse

The guitarist nails George's lead and tone.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

"fairy dust" aka 'Loudness" (I presume)

15. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I had Dokken Back For The Attack in my hands' last nite (used bins) but ended up having to put it back in favor of a used copy of Reverend.

Strangely I don't own the Dokken album on CD. Hopefully, it will still be there next week.

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Killer album (I gave it a 9 out of 10 rating earlier in this thread when I reviewed their catalog). If yer a fan you need it!

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Killer!! :righton:

18. Matthew Tate

There was supposed to be a semi reunion with George and don and mick a few weeks ago at a festival. They were closing the 3 day festival and it ended up being just don. What a ripoff

19. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

For a segment called "Hair Cuts" last week, WCSX played "Dream Warriors". That's a pretty deep cut, even by the lowest playlist standards. That's usually reserved for a "House of Hair" type show. I was amazed!

Especially from a station who, when I was there in 2012, it was unheard of to even THINK about playing GNR yet.

Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Matthew Tate

that was as single and video by the band though

21. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

Oh, *I* know that. But a lot of 80s rock has been bastardized over the years, and rarely, if ever, played on mainstream classic rock FM. If they were to play Dokken, it might be Breaking the Chains. The only reason they played that cut was because it wasna special "hair metal" segment.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. paradox55

paradox55 Forum Resident

Really been enjoying The End Machine of late.
    Alive Today, Leap of Faith, Sleeping Voices, and Life is Love is Music are all keepers.

23. PacificOceanBlue

One suspects it was Don that derailed it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

naw lynch was sick and mick brown has semi retired. lynch and don just gave an interview saying they'd do more shows together as time permits

slipkid likes this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

Interesting. At first glance one would think it was Don asserting his dominance and reluctance to commit to working with other former stars of the band. That said, if it would be anything like the Japan reunion where Don’s vocals sound like a chainsaw, it probably would not meet expectations.

Matthew Tate likes this.