Anybody think we will ever see a complete Beatles on TV set?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Apr 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

I would love to see a DVD set of all The Beatles TV appearances. It would have to include all of their promo videos, Ready Steady Go, Our World etc. Does anyone know what is out there that was not put on the Anthology? It would be nice to have a complete list of Beatles TV appearances that are known to exist plus others that are thought lost. A David Frost and set would be nice too along with the John Lennon Tom whatshisname interview. Any thoughts here?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm in line for that one...Who knows, Did you ever expect to see a 10+ Hour Anthology on Video and now on DVD? or the Wonderful ED Sullivan Shows? Keep those fingers crossed! Paulie, Ringo and Yoko are getting OLD, they know NOW -is- the time for all to be released...And that will surely be a Splendid Time Guaranteed For All...Indeed!

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Well, if the question is, "do I think we'll ever see..." such a set, I'd have to say no. Would I like to see it? Of course! I'd be there on the day of release, credit card in hand.

What I'd settle for at this point would be a packed "Greatest Hits"-type DVD with the best of the promo films, unedited and without any narration. I know a lot of people were grousing that this stuff wasn't included as a bonus with the Anthology DVD's, but to be realistic, there's no way Apple would give this stuff away as a "bonus." If it comes out at all, they'll make us pay for it.

My real fear is that with the release of the Anthology DVD's, Apple will consider this stuff "out," and won't even think about releasing stand-alone versions of the promos, or a TV compilation. I can already hear Neil Aspinall saying "Isn't that already on the Anthology?"

My other fear is that by the time any of this stuff does come out, I'll be to old to see or hear any of it!

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Doesn't Dave Clark own the Ready Steady Go! program? I seem to recall a VHS vid from the '80s with some of that material, and I'm pretty sure it was licensed from Clark. Which means we may never see it again....:rolleyes:

ED:cool:

5. Beatlelennon65

Ed- I know there was a Ready Steady Go VHS but I dont know about the license. Who is Dave Clark and why wouldnt we see it again?

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Dave Clark from the Dave Clark Five. We know the situation of his catalog.

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

In case you're still drawing a blank, The Dave Clark Five was the second band of the British Invasion to hit #1 in the USA after The Beatles with "Glad All Over". Had many other classic hits, such as "Bits and Pieces", "Because", "I Like It Like That", "Any Way You Want It". I'd advise you to give some of their stuff a listen, but it's all out of print. Dave Clark owns all of his own masters, and apart from one 2 CD set back in the 90's, now out of print, and a similar European 1 disc set, he's kept it all off the market, for his own unknown reasons.

He comes into play in this case, because he also owns the rights to the entire series Ready, Steady, Go and through that deal, the rights to Around The Beatles from which the video tape in question The Beatles Live came from. If his stinginess with his his own music catalogue is any indication, it could be a cold day in hell before any of the RSG or Around The Beatles stuff hits DVD.

8. Beatlelennon65

Ok, I just wasnt sure if it was the same Dave Clark. I have heard of the Dave Clark Five and I am sure I have heard a few songs too. Why wont he release his own music? Has he done any interviews? Does he have plenty of money and no concern for his music? It's kind of weird that an artist would not want to a)make money and b)have their music in print for people to enjoy. Even if he doesnt like his own music, you would think he would be willing to make some money off of the Beatles.

9. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

It's gotta be a control thing.

10. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I think it's more of a case of Clark wanting more money for his property than anyone's willing to pay. His 90's compilation sold well, even charted, especially for a collection of 25 year old songs. Yet he was dissapointed with the sales and with the record company's marketing of the set.

Clark also seems a bit bitter that his band isn't held in as high esteem as The Beatles, at least that's the impression I get.

Clark is definitely not hurting for cash, that "control thing" theory doesn't sound too far off.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

If Clark never releases his stuff in STEREO I'm happy with my boot...the quality is that good! The DC5 were never in the same league as The Beatles...no matter what Clark believes, if he even does...

12. Beatlelennon65

Let's face it, nobody is in the same league as the Beatles. Even solo Beatles arent in the same league. Dylan is maybe in the league on occasion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.