Anybody with cd/lp demagnatizer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jenkovix, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Just rip the CDs with accurate rip. No need to worry about magnetic fields and perfect playback every time :D

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Now that gravitational waves have been detected, and heard in the audible spectrum, we will need multi-billion dollar devices to neutralize their effects on our turntables.

4. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes you are, yes you are, yes you are.
    Well you are questioning the findings of a PHD. in chemical engineering that studies and holds patents in the field of magnetism. I can only give you the basic results of the test, which were positive in regards to magnetism in vinyl. Yet, you feel the need to question those results. What are your credentials? I am sorry I can't be more technical for you, I am just a lowly musician.

Dave likes this.
  6. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

But he doesn't know what the findings were. All he has to go by is your ipse dixit.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes he does. The vinyl tested contained magnetism.

Yeah, I looked up the old thread and for some reason they removed the graphs and other technical information that were in there.:confused:

I give up. I'm out.

8. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I hope you don't think you're quoting Heyser. The man passed away in 1987. Uncredited, fuel-the-BS blog posts on Stereophile.com that have been culled specifically to obfuscate and spread doubt can't obscure the fact that the blog post contained nothing but feelings and innuendo. This, despite the blog starting off with a statement about the writers experience with "organized" listening tests (whatever that means). Not one legitimate listening test result is mentioned, unless of course the writer meant that his so-called "organized" listening tests are referred to that way merely because someone organized them (i.e., hey man, come on over to my place to listen to some music).

BuddhaBob and Misery_loves.. like this.
  9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

But what were the findings? Simply reiterating that your source is a PhD is just a logical fallacy - the argument from authority. The rest of your response is just as Gabe posted - ipse dixit - it's so because you say so and no questioning or inquiry is tolerated.

During the course of investigative reaseach work in a variety of countries I frequently question PhDs about their findings with respect to various projects. None of them get bent out of shape over it. They're almost always motivated to engage, discuss and defend their methods and findings. My research associates and I occasionally uncover a load of BS, frequently find at least some minor flaws in methodology, and rarely too some outright fabrications, but they're the exceptions.

As I mentioned earlier, if the test report is unavailable, no problem. No need to be ticked off about any of this though.

10. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I don't understand your question @Agitater ? The findings were that the vinyl she tested had magnetism, then sounds like she tested a treated vinyl and it had less. Do you need to see numbers?
    Furutech has numbers on their website for the Demag machine......What do those numbers tell you?? I don't care to know if my vinyl has magnetism or not, I passed my bulk tape eraser over a bunch of my vinyl and there was no noticeable difference......That's enough for me.

Seems like your poking for detailed information that is going to lead nowhere.....IMO

Tullman likes this.
  11. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

As is always the case in these threads most of the doubters go on and on telling us why the magnetism issue is nonsense having never had the experience of demagnetizing media as I outlined in my post. It's really easy and inexpensive to try this out for yourselves, just give it a go and save your posting energy for other threads. I wouldn't bother posting about this if it didn't work, I'd gladly say it failed if that was the case. But it does work and the sonics are better; try it you'll like it!

ubiknik likes this.
  12. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Prove it?

13. Pastafarian

Hardly as I've no idea who he was and if it was Steve Hoffman I wouldn't believe, I'd have a listening test which means I'd play some music.
    It amuses me that you'll find lots of threads where the merits of a particular first press beats another, I know this to be true but often the differences are greater with tweeks, that many scoff at.

14. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

So I looked around and there is this Furutec demag thingie for $2700 and change. By two. They're cheap.

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Thank you. You really get it. Obviously the person who did the testing could give a detailed description of what was done. However, that person is busy and I don't want to bother her with a silly internet discussion.

Obviously, Agitater wants to get into a full blown detailed examination of the scientific method used for the findings. I can say this. The test was a one time deal. I am sure that repeated and more extensive testing would have given results that would satisfy Agitater. I am sorry that I can't help him there.

All I am saying is that there was a test done by a scientist using a very sensitive/state of the art measuring device, and the results showed magnetism in the record. Could the findings be wrong, maybe, but I would say the percentages of that are pretty low.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Sailfree likes this.
  16. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

A long time I ago, I tested this by playing an album with the head from a cassette deck. At high RPM's there was a very very faint rythmic whooshing noise that corresponded with the rotation of the turntable platter. I could not say if it was from the album, the platter, or the damping material I used to fill the platter. So there was SOMETHING there. Did I worry about it? No.

17. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Gotta love all the objective statements in hifi!

Mike from NYC likes this.
  18. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

When someone expresses the opinion that he heard a difference while listening to something, there's not much to discuss thereafter on this discusson board. The rules basically state that nobody's personal listening experiences are to be challenged. But when someone states or implies something that amounts to a violation of the laws of physics - that typical consumer vinyl LPs can hold a magnetic charge, or any other such thing - I've found that a brief look at the testing method and so-called demagnetizing results reveal that they were either mis-reported, completely flawed, or originally measured something that had nothing to do with the item being tested.

Your Furutech Demaga example is just such a situation. Furutech trumpets its claim that the Demaga allegedly reduces an LP field from 620-630 nanoTesla down to 572-582 nanoTesla. Problem is, Furutech is being deliberately deceptive because the numbers are meaningless. The Earth's magnetic field measures, on average, between 0.25-0.65 microTesla - literally orders of magnitude more powerful that the field Furutech is babbling about. In other words, Furutech is impressing you with nonsensically irrelevant numbers. On top of it all, Furutech provides only a sketchy conclusionary description of a result, not a methodology. They're trying to sell people the Demaga device, and seem to be willing to publish completely irrelevant nonsense in order to persuade people to purchase it. Furutech is effectively relying on the fact that most potential customers will simply be impressed with stated numbers and with the words "testing" and "nano" and "tesla" and "gauss" and so on. Any university student with access to a physics lab can get the same results with a piece of wood, a plastic jewel case, a piece of woven carpeting or a lump of cat food for pete's sake. It's meaningless. Audio cartridges and stylii aren't nanoscale instruments - they're unaffected by the Earth's vastly more powerful background magnetic field, so how can they be affected by alleged nanoscale changes in a physical medium? Shame on Furutech.

And that's why, these days, with companies like Furutech attempting to manupulate our thinking like that, it's important to know the methods and the alleged numbers when extraordinary claims are made. As the eminent Carl Sagan coined: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof that stands up to scrutiny.

19. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

I think this belongs here.

I had a very strange experience whilst trying to digitise the Australian ep David Bowie ("Rebel Rebel" ep with orange label) from 1974. On disc playback silent - but when listening to the digital file a noise throughout. Other discs - no problems ever - this one disc same problem each time I tried. To this day I still can't figure it out - but think it must be something that's in the disc that reacting to the cartridge. This is the only topic that gives a potential answer - the disc has some form of magnetic quality ( and that's not an intended pun).

20. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

@Agitater , your sensible and reasoned position is not welcome here. Haven't you been reading the thread? Some guy heard a difference and, to top it all off, someone's relative did a test! That's case closed as far as I'm concerned. Who needs science when you've got hi-fi?

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

:thumbsdow

Robert C likes this.
  22. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Do you think I should. I don't care about ridicule but if you really think it would be of interest I'll put my two or three posts on a new thread.

23. Pastafarian

Well I'd have some experience to which I could refer and it's a whole area, static and it's effect on sound reproduction, sure it'd be interesting.:biglaugh:

24. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Like much audiophile orthodoxy, this is a solution in search of a problem.

dadonred and SixtiesGuy like this.
  25. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Doubters won't stop doubting unless they hear a difference with their own ears. Only by demagnetizing media themselves, and playing it on their own systems will they ever be satisfied that the process has a positive effect. That's why I suggest buying their own $20 tape head demagnetizer and giving it a try, not a $2,000 device.

IMO this is not unlike all the discussion about interconnects and power cables having an effect on sonics. Before I ever bought a quality cable I had my doubts, but when I finally gave it a try with a nicely priced purchase here on the Forum I was able to hear with my own ears that the claims were true. I've since gone on to try other brands at various reasonable price points, and it's clear as can be that different cables sound different from one another and gave a positive effect on sonics. Where I draw the line is on cost, for me some of what I see offered out there looks insanely priced and I wouldn't ever consider spending such amounts. I'm happy knowing that for less than $100 there are excellent new cables available that can make listening to music even more enjoyable as well as used cables that originally cost even more. Had I just scoffed at this subject from the get go, and decided that those touting the positive effects of different cables were wrong without ever giving it a try myself, I wouldn't have known the benefits that such cables provide, and that would be my great loss.

Dave and Pastafarian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.