Anyone Bought Commercially Released CDs That Seem to BE CD-Rs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by clearvinylsounds, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

that black version is legit. i got it directly from the crowes. i didn't even know there was a silver version until your post

905 and slipkid like this.
  2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

My copy of the Super Rare Doo Wop boxed set on Rockbeat uses pressed CDs though.

3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

My experience as well.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thought i was lost

5. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Bought a commercial CD once and there wasn't a CD in the jewel case. Crazy.

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

What was in the jewelcase then? A cassette? LP? 8 Track? Or maybe a reel to reel?
    (just kidding)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Mike Riding

Mike Riding Forum Resident

Just bought Hawkwind - It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous 2CD Set, on the Cherry Red label Atomhenge, new from Musicmagpie. Playing surface looks like a CDR, no IFPI stamped on the disc and the matrix code is:- Z1JT A21B T902140564 A31

I've asked to return it for a refund.

ispace likes this.
  8. Picked up a CD from 2000 (no idea when the actual disc was made but that's the date on the tray card) by a band called Gabrielle Roth & the Mirrors (it was free and sealed so what the heck) titled "Tribe" on Raven Recordings, UPC 736998500320. Sealed with security strip across the top, paperwork looks factory made, disc label's bright red paint looks normal, but data side had the dull color so I put the disc in and checked it out with Nero Infotools. Sure enough it's a CD-R. No indications on the papers or cello. One on discogs looks like a different disc/pressing as it has a barcode near the clear hub whereas mine has nothing in that area that I can see:

Gabrielle Roth And The Mirrors – Tribe (2001, CD)

This sort of thing makes me not want to buy anything new, but only used where I can confirm the disc before paying. :( :mad:

-s1m0n-

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow. That is unbelievable (I mean I believe it but that is so screwed up it is unbelievable).

sharedon and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Can't remember if I already added this to the thread or not, but no harm in reiterating! Beware if you're planning on picking up any of the Diana Ross expanded '70s and '80s albums - some of them have been difficult to get for a few years but now seem to be fairly available at appealing prices. It appears to be because they're CD-Rs coming straight from the manufacturers (i.e., it's not only Amazon selling them as MOD). They're never noted as being CD-Rs. I received one and have been gunshy about buying any of the others ever since unless a seller can guarantee me it's the original release.

SimonSaysCake likes this.
  12. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CULTURE DUB & MEDLEY DUB - ERROL BROWN & THE REVOLUTIONARIES (Doctor Bird) 2 x CD-R

43 great dub tracks and in good sound but very disappointed to find both discs were (secretly issued) in CD-R/burned format but presented and marketed in a manner that makes them look like genuine/authentic product.
    The secretly issued CD-R edition is also priced as if it included two factory made CDs.
    Shame on whoever is behind this deceptive marketing.

slipkid, zen and SimonSaysCake like this.
  13. Anyone familiar with the Brilliant Classics label releases? Prices seem almost too good to be true, which makes me ask, are these factory discs? Thanks.

-s1m0n-

14. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

check the classical music mega box thread, i believe they are all silver pressed but may come in plain white paper sleeves

SimonSaysCake likes this.
  15. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Shortly before CDBaby shut down, I bought titles from several different artists. Some were real CDs, while others weren't. I guess there wasn't any regulation on the site.

slipkid and jhm like this.
  16. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

but they notated which were which and it all dependent on pressing amount the artist ordered

Matthew Tate and eelkiller like this.
  17. GodBlessTinyTim

I see. In this case though, none of them were described as CD-R. I half-expected them to be as such, so I wasn't totally blindsided.

18. rfkavanagh

The two recent Barbra Streisand Birth Of A Legend releases out of the UK on the Jasmine label also appear to be CD-Rs.

19. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

so brand new 2021 releases are coming out as CDR's? WTF.

phillyal1 likes this.
  20. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

There’s been discussion of this already on the ongoing Crucial Reggae thread but unfortunately it sounds like there are a lot of releases on Cherry Red’s Doctor Bird label that are like this. Too bad!

21. GodBlessTinyTim

Jasmine switched to CD-R for all their releases around 2017, sadly. As a result, I've only bought three or four since then despite being interested in many more.

jhm and rfkavanagh like this.
  22. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I think all Jasmine releases are CD-R.

jhm likes this.
  23. rfkavanagh

It’s a pity, and I’d never buy anything from them again. What galls me the most is that companies like Jasmine (and even some of the majors) are selling CD-Rs with absolutely no indication that that’s what they are. I wouldn’t mind so much if they were transparent and allowed consumers to make an informed decision about their purchase. But then, the deceptive practice is intentional since they’d lose some sales if they did that (as opposed to losing potential repeat buyers who are duped the first time).

GodBlessTinyTim and slipkid like this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, I stopped buying anything on CDBABY because of that. Got burned (pun intended) too many times. I understand the need for bands/musicians to maximize profits or being unable to afford a big manufactured real CD run, but if you're selling CD-Rs then I need to know it in advance so I can factor that into whether I want to buy that or look elsewhere for the album where I can get a real CD instead of copy that might not even be burned well or uses crap media.

GodBlessTinyTim and WarEagleRK like this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I have several of their releases (and box sets). All are silver pressed discs, and they have the usual cover art and booklets. I don't know if they switched to CD-R's with later releases though. They always were very inexpensive.