Anyone else get the Masked and Anonymous DVD?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikeT, Feb 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

I know we have quite a few Dylan fans here.. but did anyone but me pick up the DVD to Masked and Anonymous?

I finally got a chance to watch it last night.

This is going to sound funny, but I liked it and I hated it. I was surely baffled at who would think this was a good story?

Dylan is Dylan. Not much of an actor, but used mainly to spout little bits of "wisdom" - some very easy to understand, others "HUH"????

I think I "got" most of the movie, but it was really wierd. I liked it because it was seemingly so bad, that it was "good". I definitely want to watch it again to see what allegories and references to popular culture I missed.

What is also strange, is the way Dylan walks. I noticed this when I saw him live this summer, and again in this movie. He walks like he has some sort of problem (yet I never noticed this before when I saw him live or in other movies).

There is a Director's Commentary on the DVD that I can't wait to listen to, so that I can see if it "clears up" any of the weird and mysterious action in this movie. There is also a making of that might be interesting - I will try to watch that soon also.

Anyone else pick up this DVD?

2. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I picked up the dvd, and I can honestly say I enjoy it. Yes, I'm one of those Dylan fans, one who can't really find much wrong with anything he's done. To me, the characters and story are all allegorical; the film reminds me of any one of a number of Bob Dylan songs.

Buying the dvd is worth it just to have Dylan's musical performances in 5.1. I haven't listened to the commentary yet. Let me know what you think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.