Anyone else let down by the Rolling Stones' Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by C6H12O6, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

That "girl" was Janis Joplin & she is saying devil not plural referring to Magic Mick

2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

no but the mystery of the Paint it Black You Devils Lady has been solved!

classicrocker and Mike M like this.
  3. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

The title is taken from the title of a Blind Boy Fuller song, Get Your Ya Ya's Out.

4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

This album provided half the repertoire of my first garage band in high school. The definitive versions of Sympathy, Live With Me, Jumping Jack Flash....

Funny, first time I saw Gimme Shelter, I thought the movie didn't live up to the album : ) Whichever you fell for first, perhaps....

5. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Mick Taylor's solo on Sympathy is alone worth the price of the LP. On the other hand, the Jumpin' Jack Flash from "Gimme Shelter" beats the Ya-Yas version.

6. crlong

crlong Forum Resident

This is one of my favorite records of all time. I still think it’s the best Stones live album, although the bonus live discs on the deluxe Sticky Fingers from 2015 give it a run for its money. I would love to hear more of them from 1970. 1969-1970 seems to be the sweet spot. I enjoy Brussels, but their performance style feels way too rushed to me by 1973. My third favorite live album behind these two (Ya-Ya’s and the SF deluxe) is Some Girls live in TX.

7. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I didn't know that ! :)

.. still :sigh:

Exile On My Street likes this.
  8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Think Keith plays that solo.

9. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

There are 2 solos: Mick's is characterized by virtuosity; Keith plunks along (but I like it!)

10. bosie

bosie Forum Resident

Agreed I much prefer live stones from that period. Charlie is my darlin’ just rocks my world in a way that ya ya’s doesn’t. Maybe Brian is the missing ingredient!

Laservampire likes this.
  11. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

There is a great bootleg that takes the anniversary edition tracks, puts them in the correct sequence and patches the cut verses in SFTD and MR using the Glyn Johns acetate to fill in the blanks giving us complete songs.

Of course we now have the complete mono SB's from the MSG concerts from thd 27th and 28th late show so we can now hear some of the tracks undubbed.

btltez and Rockin' Robby like this.
  12. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I'm just reacting to your thought about Ya Ya's "without question being their (The Stones) best live album ever". I would respectfully question that and put forth the idea that Brussels Affair is their best live album.

13. classicrocker

ABKCO uploaded the complete mono SB's from the MSG concerts from the November 27th and 28th (second show) to you tube. To date they are the only complete SB's available from the 1969 tour. They are available for download and there are several silver disc bootlegs releases.

kevin5brown and Rockin' Robby like this.
  14. classicrocker

There are bootlegs of the two Paris concerts 1970 radio broadcasts from September 22nd and 23rd. They are crude radio broadcasts someone recorded off of the radio but very listenable. Supposedly Glyn Johns recorded those shows so maybe we will get an official vault release someday.

crlong likes this.
  15. classicrocker

I am huge fan of the 1969 tour and have muliple silver boot versions of every available show from that tour and love LTYEB but have to respectfully disagree the versions of MR and LIV from that 2nd Oakland show are the definitive versions.

The early shows from the 1969 tour were good but I have to agree with Mick Jagger when he said the band did not hit their best until the Detroit show.

Take a listen to the three SB versions of MR from the November 27th/ 28th MSG shows from the recent ABKCO YouTube dump. IMHO they blow away the LTYEB version as Mick Taylor's solos are epic and different in all three versions.

Not saying the LTYEB version is not good, only that the later tour versions are better IMHO. YMMV of course.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    btltez, mark renard and Rockin' Robby like this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Completely ignoring the technical and musical differences between the two...that theory simply doesn't hold water:

1) Apparently Live'r was released in December 1969...*after* the Ya-Ya's concerts had already been recorded. It's extremely unlikely that those recordings had been made "just because". That is, they were very likely made expressly for the purpose of a live album. Live recording today is (relatively) trivial, but back then it required a lot of big, expensive equipment. It was pretty rare for live multitrack recordings to be made unless there were at least some plans for an album. Meaning...the idea for a live album from that tour was hatched before Live'r hit the streets, not in response to it.

2) For a "quick cash grab" there was obviously a lot of post-production work done, in the form of overdubs and editing.

3) There was nothing "quick" about it. Ya-Ya's wasn't released until September 1970, *9 months* after Live'r. One would have expected a "rush release" to come out *well* before that.

Ok, touching on the technical differences for a moment, I've never understood the love of Live'r from a technical standpoint. Is it better than many other audience recordings of the era? Sure. But it doesn't begin to come close to the quality of the Ya-Ya's recordings. It sounds like the semi-decent audience recording it is.

17. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

With all due respect I'm old & stuck in my ways & very rarely listen to anything not physical (records) & frankly don't revisit much rock anymore at all, there is just so much marvelous pre-ELVIS to dissect & research...

The modern age has stolen all the mystery from music but yes I stick with what I know & remember best :tiphat:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    classicrocker likes this.
  18. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

exactly right. as usual.
    I would add that the best sounding version of Ya Yas is the 1984 MoFi box set version. The Decca has the bass rolled. The MoFi is all there.
    For digi, that box set with the bonus tracks, plus BB King and Tina Turner sets.
    It 96/24 and superbly mastered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.