Anyone else loving 'Girls'?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

I was kind of wary heading in, as the last thing anyone wants or needs is this generation's 'Sex And The City.' And I hated 'Tiny Furniture.' Plus, when was the last time Judd Apatow was involved with something interesting?

But it's won me over - the first episode was hopeful (and funnier than I expected) and the second was downright brilliant. Not sure I can see it lasting for six seasons or anything, though....

2. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

I saw that first episode and thought it was great. I commented in another thread about it . . .

3. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

I thought the first episode was interesting, but not particularly funny. Figure I'll give it one or two more to see if it grabs me.

I never felt I "got" Sex in the City, so maybe this genre is just not for me.

4. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

This show is wonderful. I'm not sure HBO is at the top of their game again, we'll see how the new Aaron Sorkin show goes but Game of Thrones, Girls, Treme, and True Blood are all fantastic. Luck was a disaster I thought. I just don't feel Milch's writing has worked with anything but Deadwood. Love Boardwalk Empire but don't think it's as genius as others do. Enlightened is kind of blah, Curb is running on fumes, and not too excited for Veep. Really liked How to Make it in America but they cancelled it. Am I forgetting something? Anyway Girls is just the kind of show HBO has been missing since Sex and the City went off the air. It's got a voice and something to say and I'm looking forward to Sundays now more than ever.

5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Just watched the first episode. I'll stay on for at least a couple more before making a firm decision.

I do like seeing a "real woman" as the lead character, not some rail thin, overly polished fem-bot.

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I didn't think it was that funny.

I like Cinemax's Girls Guide to Depravity better.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i watched the first 2 episodes back to back.

i might try a third, but it reminded me of a bad network sitcom with nudity, sex, and bad language.

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Haven't seen any of it, but I came across this the other day and was amused:

[​IMG]

JFS3, nightenrock and dhoffa85 like this.
  9. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

My wife and I watched the first 15 minutes of the first episode and turned it off. Could not stand it at all. Spoiled, self-centered, directionless 20-somethings who think the world revolves around them. In other words, it IS a perfect representation of today's 20-something generation....I just don't need to see it on TV.

JFS3 and Ghostworld like this.
  10. 93curr

It's funny but, really, did the phrase "Bad Company's drummer's daughter" actually open any doors at HBO? :laugh: Is THAT what casting agents are looking for now?

I also love how they assume everyone knows who Laurie Simmonds is, but they can't be bothered to look up who Bad Company's drummer was. You just KNOW he's seen that by now and is righteously angered at not being mentioned by name.

11. 93curr

12. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

When was this magical era when 20-year-olds, especially the offspring of the rich and famous, weren't predominantly directionless and self-centered?*

There's a name for that malady: It's called being in your 20s, and it's existed in every reasonably prosperous society that's ever been.

*(And no, being forced into productivity by a war or a depression doesn't count.)

13. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Ouch! Good one, Cheepnik!
    I don't have cable or satellite TV, so I won't be watching! I hadn't heard about this show until seeing this thread, but I'll agree that it doesn't sound very appealing to me either.

14. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

It's mumblecore gone mainstream with some Apatowian punchlines. Not sure I like it. Didn't like the second episode and I literally cannot stand any scene that Mamet's daughter is in (not her, the character).

PS. Mumblecore was pathetic stuff, btw. *speaking about it in the past tense in the hopes that it has gone away*

15. I watched one episode and know I will not watch another.

16. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

After all the hoopla I watched the first episode, and knowing that pilots need to introduce characters and set up scenarios I expected less than brilliance. I thought it had promise. The second episode was not great. I will watch #3 and see how it fares. It could be funnier.

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I mostly enjoyed the first two episodes, but thought #3 last night was the best. The opening sequence with Marney and her boyfriend's new hair and then Hannah's goth girl look and her frequent hookup playing with her belly had me cracking up big time.

18. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

My wife and I were just about to give up on this show, but last night it finally got to be funny. The whole scene of her confronting her ex-lover in the bar was hilarious and just seem to fit her luck. Anyway, we'll keep watching if this the way they keep going. I can't say that I like the girl who likes to travel the world, I've known her type and it gets old quick.

19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I will catch the third episode this week sometime. I'm hoping it's a lot funnier.

20. agentalbert

I like the Jessa character. Marney (the uptight one) is my least favorite. Shoshana is pretty funny. I went back and re-watched episodes 1 and 2 again and enjoyed them more the second time through.

21. agentalbert

Can anyone tell me what the songs were played over the closing credits for episodes 1 and 2? The one at the end of episode 1 sounded like it could be Simon & Garfunkel, but I'm not so familiar with them that I would know for sure.

22. fatcat28037

fatcat28037 Forum Resident

Girls is a great show. There are very few shows on HBO I don't care for. Curb You Enthusiasm is one.

Jack likes this.
  23. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Just read somewhere it was picked up for a second season.

24. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

We just talked about this at length on our podcast. Spoiler alert: we didn't like it. It's in the last half of the episode in case you want to skip the other stuff.

www.highandlowpodcast.blogspot.com

25. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

My wife and I made it through 1.2 episodes.

We like our sex sexier. Or stupider. We're big fans of Kenny Powers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.