Anyone ever attend a live taping of a classic sitcom?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MRamble, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

We really wondered what took so long as well. The segment would end and everyone would leave the set, including contestants. At first we guessed maybe the judges were going over the segments to make sure it’s on the up and up, but there was so much time in between that it seemed unlikely. No one came out to tell us what to expect or why this took so long. The set doesn’t have to be redressed and obviously there are no lighting or camera changes, so it was a mystery and a big drag.

On the soundstage next door we could hear work for the brilliant “The Good Place” going on, and we stood on the parking spaces reserved for the cast. That’s as close to interesting or greatness that we got. :laugh:

dan c

Scowl and MrGrumpy like this.
  2. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Not exactly a sit com …but close. About 1992 in LA we scored tix for the Tonight Show with
    Jay Leno.. Lynsey Buckingham was music guest, and Gen Norman Swartzcoff, and some woman comedian can’t remember her name.. long forgotten.
    Kind of a neat experience at the time.. long ago.

seacliffe301 likes this.
  3. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

Went to a recording of Monty Python, the one with Mr Neutron in it...most of it was on screens, but there were live segments...

4. Being publicly funded the BBC didn’t take kindly to multiple takes so yes, productions were encouraged to get scenes done in one take of possible. That’s why you’ll see occasional flubbed lines in BBC productions as they didn’t want to do a re-shoot. A trick some actors used was to use a profanity after a mistake which of course would require a re-shoot.

Scowl and MrGrumpy like this.
  5. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Not a sitcom per se, but I did attend a taping of the Tonight Show. Jay Leno was host, the entire Osborne clan was his only guests that night. During the show, the daughter’s band (was it Kelly) came out and played one song. Leno came out beforehand in street clothes and did some pretty damn good standup to get the crowd warmed up. All in all an enjoyable experience.

MRamble likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Wendy Liebman.

chilinvilin and Maranatha5585 like this.
  7. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Not a sitcom, but at least half a dozen tapings of the original run of Kids in the Hall.

8. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Yep.. you are exactly correct.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

When I was younger there was a particular guy I could pick out on the laugh track. At the time I didn't know it was a laugh track. I just thought "man that guy goes to the filming of EVERY TV show!". I can hear him on M*A*S*H and countless other shows.

chilinvilin and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Would it be this, at the 17:13 mark?

11. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

No, not the same one but if you watch any early episode of MASH you'll hear him.

12. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Think someone said it’s the 50th anniversary of the show’s premiere

13. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I don’t know if it’s considered a classic, but I went to a taping of the NBC comedy “Wings.” I also attended taping of a Bob Hope Special and “Wheel of Fortune”

14. Not a classic series but a classic duo. I attended the taping of The Smothers Brothers reunion special.

15. Recently watched Wings on Peacock. The show hasn’t aged well.

Hoover Factory likes this.
  16. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

Not a classic at all but in Tampa I was in the audience for the local mid-day show a couple of times in the early 90's. It was live so there was no waiting for re-takes, set-ups, etc. They did have a fellow who told everyone when to applaud and kept folks entertained during the commercial breaks. Both episodes were when the show was on location at local fairs and I just happened to be there and decided what the heck.

MikeInFla likes this.
  17. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Closest experience for me was one of the last Letterman shows, with Norm MacDonald, Oprah and Clooney with the handcuff bit at the beginning. It was definitely a great experience, with fun little details like Oprah having someone come out and tug on her dress during the commercial breaks.

18. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

My then girl friend was a contestant back in the 70s.

19. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Maybe I saw her. I watched that show regularly.
    Where did she go to high school?

20. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Iroquois Falls , ON

21. Wildest cat from montana

Never been there but I'm sure it's very similar to the town I spent my teen years in ( North Bay ).

22. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Smaller than the Bay, and farther North.

23. Wildest cat from montana

Not too far from Timmins. Been there.

24. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

That's the area.

25. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Not a Sitcom but the original “Concentration” with Hugh Downs. It was part of a class field trip to NBC in NY. All I remember was it was very LOUD.

MRamble likes this.