Anyone familiar with Acoustic Solid turntables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Muriel Heslop, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Looks awesome! Is it gloss or matte finish (hard to tell sometimes by photo).

2. Chris S

Chris S New Member

Speaking of The Sound Room in Vancouver, I took advantage of their moving sale to pick up the Solid 111 with the RB 330 tone arm and added a Micro Benz retipped with the Soundsmith Ruby cantilever.

This replaced an older Rega P3 with the Benz cartridge.

Mark from The Sound Room took the time to properly setup the Benz cartridge.

This is pretty much an apples to apples comparison given the similar RB 250 + Benz on the Rega P3 versus the RB 330 + Benz on the Solid 111.

The first thing I noticed was an increase in amplitude and detail in the mid base and it wasn’t subtle. I actually did most listening at a lower volume setting.

Alice In Chains, Jar of Flies was one of the best illustrations of the improvement. The guitars just growled the drums where aggressively percussive - it was darker and more musical at the same time.

Steve Miller, Space Intro and Fly Like an Eagle yielded detail at all frequencies . The fading beeps sounded ethereal and out of this world.

The rhythm section on Dave Brubeck, Time Out really stood out in terms of timing and engagement.

As usually happens with a significant upgrade, I found myself going through my collection looking for the best recordings and quickly changing out the mediocre ones.

Overall, I highly recommend the Acoustic Solid 111.

wownflutter and Don Parkhurst like this.
  3. Old Zorki II

Just got mine Solid Machine. Took several month to deliver.. Assembled, but yet to set it up.. I got with low priced arm, and soon will add another one as 2 arm setup is very convenient..
    It is very impressive piece of machinery!
    [​IMG]

4. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Those are just really nice turntables! It’s funny how the market in the US seems to be home theater focused. I’ve sold a bit of vintage audio via eBay which seemed to end up in Korea, China and Russia.

5. gumsrave

gumsrave Forum Resident

I’ve seen these tables on display at the Tokyo audio show but have yet to actually hear one. Each room tends to be set up by a distributor with many brands, apart from big Japanese brands which may have their own room. I think, from memory, the room with acoustic solid had a dr feickert table playing records. Maybe this year they’ll have one set up!

Muriel Heslop likes this.
  6. Old Zorki II

I think Dr. Feickert tables are awesome, but for the money Acoustic Solid have way better looks ))).

macster, Muriel Heslop and Benzion like this.
  7. Old Zorki II

Finally set it up. Man, I am not a reviewer, but this thing sounds spectacular.. [​IMG]

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I’d love to have one, but I’d never get it by the boss:cheers:

Old Zorki II and Muriel Heslop like this.
  9. Old Zorki II

Really? My wife approved that and not Technics 1210GR, despite very significant price differential. Looks matter sometimes ))

10. Dennis Metz

11. Old Zorki II

Looks like my Solid Machine put in a box. Very nice looking indeed, but losing an ability to add multiple arms (including 12 inch) from some other models.

12. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I'm salivating at the Wood Referenz, but it will have to wait a bit.

13. Dennis Metz

Would it be a significant upgrade from my P9?

14. Old Zorki II

Well, a lot of people prefer RP6 over P9, Music Hall MMF 7.3 over RP6 - and I assure you in my setup Soild Machine blown Music Hall 7.3 out of the water even with basic Rega arm.
    Unfortunately for turntable group transitive relations are not applicable, so you'll have to decide for yourself. ))

Dennis Metz likes this.
  15. Muriel Heslop

Muriel Heslop Night is young and the music's high Thread Starter

I have had my Solid Machine for just over a year now and continue to marvel at its sonic output.Surely the last turntable I will ever buy.At the rate I play records on it,I expect to have to replace my Ortofon Cadenza Black in the months ahead.Have been delighted with this combination of table and cartridge so not sure whether to upgrade or just replace when the time comes.First world problem,for sure.

My system is dismantled right now due to some renovations but will post in a few weeks times with some updated pics of the turntable on it's proper isolating stand.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  16. Old Zorki II

I replaced my "threw in" Rega arm with Origin Live Encounter MK3C, which I got used super cheap, and waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for 12 inch mount so I can mount Jelco 850L with Benz Wood.. But even now with OL & Hanna SL it sounds terrific..

Benzion and Muriel Heslop like this.
  17. Benzion

When (God willing) I order my AS table, I will tell them to fabricate it for a Jelco 750E 10" arm to begin with - I don't even want that Rega thingy on there. That's why I bought two 10" arms from Hong Kong the minute I heard of Jelco's demise, literally.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Old Zorki II likes this.
  18. Old Zorki II

As you can see on a picture standard 9 inch mount has some "space" - if you turn top plate 90 degrees to the left it should accommodate 10 inch arm. So you can really got plain armless plus another 9 inch Jelco mount and you r all set... At least that what I think.
    I am thinking eventually get 3rd mount (I even have top plate for SME) and install this "free" Rega & Orto Q Red for now to play old beat up records )).

19. Benzion

I'm lusting after the Wood series, not sure if the above applies to that. The holes need to be pre-drilled correctly first time around, so I'd rather tell them to do that from the beginning.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  20. Dennis Metz

21. Dennis Metz

It is now mine:cheers:

22. Dennis Metz

23. Benzion

A thing of beauty! Mazel Tov!

Dennis Metz likes this.
  24. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

That looks like the Vintage MPX I was just ogling that on the Canadian distributor's website gorgeous table! Congrats! :cheers:

Dennis Metz likes this.
  25. Dennis Metz

Thanks. It took me a bit of time to convince she who must be obeyed that it was necessary :cheers:

Don Parkhurst and jonwoody like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.