Anyone Going To See Jersey Girl? (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Evan L, Mar 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDK

RDK Active Member

He's got Zsigmond shooting it? As Carson used to say: I did not know that! Well, at least it *should* look better... ;)

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist Thread Starter

*SPOILER ALERT*

The Walrus was Paul.

Evan

3. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Well, that just ruined my day!!

:realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

4. Evan L

*SPOILER ALERT II*

In "Titanic", the boat sinks!

Evan :realmad:

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Spoiler Alert: Darth Vader was a sled ... and it's made from people!!!

Regards,

6. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:realmad: :cry: :realmad: :cry: :agree: :goodie:

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

On Friday, the New York Times said the film amounted to nothing but "drool and a mountain of baby powder." The Los Angeles Times found its plot "so moribund that nothing can bring it back to a rich full life." EW deigned it "goopy" and, save for the finale, as "square as a turnpike-diner place mat."

8. Mike

Mike New Member

9. Evan L

Sigh. This is what I was afraid of. KS's last film was perhaps the most juvenile ever, and now it looks like his films are headed in the opposite direction. Well, I'll still see it(though I'm not gonna hurry).

Evan

10. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Seeing the previews helped make up my mind to stay away from this flick. A little too sweet for my tastes. Plus, I heard Larry King drooling his praise all over this movie when he interviewed Ben Affleck, so that solidified my decision to stay away.

I loved Clerks, and I though Chasing Amy and Dogma were pretty good, but I could barely sit through Mallrats. After Clerks it seemed like such a letdown. Just one man's opinion though.

11. Evan L

A lot of people did not like Mallrats, and it died at the box office. It only made money on the video.

Jersey Girl opened as the #5 movie, denying Kevin Smith his long-hoped for #1 opening.

I will see it but am not hurrying.

Evan

12. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Went to see this over the weekend and I absolutely loved it. There were moments that were truly touching and dramatic sandwiched between Smith's trademark one-liners. Yes, it's a kinder, gentler Kevin Smith and yes, it's PG-13, but it shows that Smith is a true talent who doesn't have to rely on Jay And Silent Bob's stoner humor as his sole source of artistic output.

Smith has moved on and grown up - slightly - but he's still Kevin Smith. And the little girl is not only adorable, but one hell of an actress with great comic timing. Liv Tyler isn't looking so bad, though it is a bit disturbing to see Lord Of The Rings' Arwen taking a cigarette break outside the video store. I didn't even mind Ben Affleck!

BTW, Jay and Silent Bob do make an appearance...as part of the View Askew animated logo before the credits.

I know this guy's good, because I was upset when J.Lo bit the dust...and this is coming from a guy who could care less about her and the "Bennifer" fiasco.

:righton:

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Great. Thanks for posting the review. Anyone else seen it?

14. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Long hoped for, but Smith said a couple of days before the opening that he knew he wasn't going to get it this time. Too much heavy competition (Scooby 2, Passion Of The Christ, Dawn Of The Dead, etc.).

Actually, the film brought in about 8.3 million, which is about a million more than Miramax expected. Rather than go for the big opening, their strategy is to get a "word of mouth" picture than has legs, and doesn't go away after a week or two. From that standpoint, they're considering it a success.

15. Evan L

Well, looks like KS's latest film might just be a box office stiffie(No, not a viagara reference!).

After only three weeks, the movie has disappeared from the Burlington, Vermont market. I did go see it last weekend, and while I thought it was a well made film, I also thought it a huge bore, a piece of overwrought sentimentality that I didn't think possible from Kevin Smith. Yes, it was very well acted(and even had a Star Wars reference), but overall was a big snoozer. George Carlin was the biggest surprise, a well acted dramatic role for him. And the little girl was great. I hope Kevin Smith will go back to making films with some edge.

Evan

16. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Yeah...that's a whole different thread.

;)

Sean

17. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Euuuughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hurlleft:

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'll gladly wait for the DVD. Which seems to be true with most films this year so far.

19. Evan L

Wizard magazine(a comic industry rag)is reporting that Kevin Smith will next direct a big-screen adaptation of....The Green Hornet! Smith is reportedly nervous about directing an action movie(something he hasn't done before), but is writing a screenplay at this moment with a 2005 release date. Smith has also written a part for Jason Mewes, as well as several other cronies; no mention of Ben Affleck, however! :agree:

Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.