Anyone have a movie that they cannot stand?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

For me, it's "Sophie's Choice". I disliked that film when I saw it. Also "American Gigolo"; hated that one too!

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

THE SOUND OF MUSIC. Some good music, but after watching Julie Andrews in MARY POPPINS, with the perfect music, surrealistic London setting, everything...being taken to see that was a real comedown I've never gotten over. Too long, the story's boring, the characters uninvolving, some good songs but not nearly enough(must have been a much better broadway play). I still dislike it, so it still amazes me how much people seem to love it. One critic described it long ago as "The Sound Of Mucus," and that about sums it up.

ED:cool:

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

"Top Gun". In the 80's that movie was braised into my skull. When I was in high school, I worked in a local video rental place. Everyone wanted to play that movie and... "Dirty Dancing". :eek:

I can watch those movies now, but back then, I would go berzerk-o. "Ghost" was soon to follow, but once that movie came out, I was into other more important financial occupations.

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

TERMINATOR II

Possibly the dumbest, noisiest, most hyper-violent thing I've ever seen. A unholy marriage of a Godzilla film, BILLY JACK, and one of those Spielberg child-looking-for-a-father-figure plots.

I can't remember which scenes were more shove-an-icepick-in-my-temple stupid. When the kid teaches the terminator to be more human? The endless gun fetish sequences? How about when the cyborg proves his mercy by blasting people in the lower appendages? Not to mention Ah-nold's "acting," which proved inadequate to convincingly portray a robot.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

:laugh:

Not to mention the kid shows the cyborg how to swear... memory serves?

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Ah, the "Rock Stars In Films" thread reminded me of another film I couldn't stand when I saw it: "Two Lane Blacktop" with James Taylor and Dennis Wilson.

Compared to the original shooting script, the final film had so many scenes cut out of it that it made no sense whatsoever.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:confused: I think "Sophie's Choice" is probably the most powerful holocaust-related film of them all. Steve, I gotta know why you hated it - I thought it was amazing...

Then you must not have seen much.:D Granted, I'm biased since I really like "T2", but I can't understand why you'd single it out as more "dumb, noisy and hyperviolent" than a million other action flicks. Trust me - there are MANY films in the genre with much more violence and much lower intelligence than "T2"...

8. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Armageddon. (the Bruce Willis / Ben Affleck asteroid disaster flick)

Ugh... just hated that movie! It actually wasn't the over the top unbelievable plot. It wasn't the bad acting. It even wasn't the bombastic directing style (though I hated that - and, actually, every movie that Michael Bay has done).

No, it was actually the huge pacing problems glaring timing holes in the movie that killed it for me. Ick, actually pains me to think of them to describe them here. Nope, nope.. I just can't do it!

Oh, as a "bonus" - they manage to completely waste the acting talents of Steve Buscemi, Owen Willson, and Billy Bob Thorton.

Just avoid this movie at all costs.

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Just a few weeks ago I was subjected to "Agent Cody Banks". My daughters really wanted to see it, I begged and pleaded against it but the girls and their puppy-dog eyes won out.
    They sure liked it, but all I wanted was a bottle of vodka and a hammer over the head.
    Dan C (Good Dad)

10. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Was that the one with the horrid Aerosmith song in it, playing like every ten minutes("I Don't Want To Miss A Thing")?:confused:

If so, enough reason to hate it right there:realmad:

But it was, as you say, without any pacing whatsoever, just a relentless cataclysm of noise, SFX and cliches...and bad acting and dialogue, of course. Visually stunning in places, but, just sensory overload. And to think I still have friends who think 2001 is *boring*:rolleyes: Well, it's MY kind of boredom...

ED:cool:

11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

ARMAGEDDON was pretty stupid, and swirling cameras are always a sign of a director without ideas. Remember the endless sequence in the control room when Liv Tyler's character is orbited until you worry the cameraman is going to throw up?

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes, I Don't Want To Miss a Thing is in Armageddon. BTW, Aerosmith's version of the song was so popular that country singer Mark Chesnutt had his biggest hit ever with a cover of it. BTW, Diane Warren wrote the song.

13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Any movie I would not be able to understand well is a movie I don't like.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Purple Rain...staring Prince...

15. Michael

Yea but, Ya gotta love Steve Buscemi's part! I love that guy! Great character actor...I dreaming of ED AND HIS DEAD MOTHER on DVD!!! Killer...he was priceless in that movie! Did you ever see it?

16. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

If I can remember correctly, the title of the "film" was "BROKEN ARROW" or something like that. It starred Travolta and Christian Slater. Diabolical pilot steals a nuclear missle... Bad, Boring, and Stupid dialog. I seem to remember NFL Hall of Famer Howie Long "acting" in this one, too. He mainly seemed to bark inane one liners.

I also disliked "Wolf" with Jack and Michelle Pfieffer. Horrible trampoline "wolf leaps" and the old "already seen it a million times" ending. Jeez. I was sooo excited to see it, too.

Sadly, there are many more on my list. I didn't like the recent "Planet of the Apes" either. My wife wants it on DVD, but I just can't pay money for it. I bought her the original version on DVD, but she STILL wants the remake! I can't figure it out, unless she has the hots for Marky Mark.

Tony

17. Michael

Everything and anything Charlie Sheen is in....That pretty much covers it! I do dig his Bro and Dad though!

18. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

National Lampoon's Las Vegas Vacation has to rank up there.

Didn't laugh even once.

Along with Smoky And The Bandit Part 2 and California Suite, IMO the films masters should be destroyed. :hurl:

19. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I never liked "E.T." I saw it when I was around 12 and thought "what a stupid movie".

20. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Part 3 of the Smokey series is even worse than part 2!

21. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Er, Steve, I thought we weren't supposed to be doing negative threads?

But since you asked, a friend took me to see Russian Ark the other night, and -- call me a dunce, but I have never been so bored in all my life.

22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Agree with "Armageddon" - that was so silly. The scenes on the asteroid heading towards earth when they are flying around, crashing, drilling etc were unbelievable. There was always this incredible gale blowing - where did that come from?

I'm sorry if I offend any fans, but I simply cannot watch "Forest Gump". For a movie that was very successful, it is amazingly weak. I'd rather watch "Sound of Music". In fact, I'd sit through another dismal bout with "Armageddon" than have to face the "Gump" once more.

Regards,
    Geoff

23. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I can see this is going to be a lonnnnnnnng thread!

Accidental Tourist - couldn't finish it.

Armagedden - couldn't agree more. "How do we show them land on the asteroid? We won't!"

24. 8MM!!!

a truly disgusting film

25. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

FORREST GUMP

For one, I fail completely to get the point of the movie. For another, what's up with that soundtrack? Songs literally appeared on cue to define a new era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.