Anyone have a VPI 16.5 RCM and replaced the tube strips?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Jan 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

I just did with some velvet sheets from Amazon and they are definitely a bit thinner than the VPI strips and I don't think they do as well of a job. Wondering if anyone has found a different solution, other than buying a new tube obviously - pretty pricey just to get new strips...and no VPI doesn't sell just the velvet strips... TIA

Andy Saunders likes this.
  2. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

l have this when the strips run out... you have to buy the whole tube.:(

3. McGuy

crap. figures. it's just velvet strips for F sake... I did buy some but they aren't quite as thick as the ones on the VPI wand.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I thought they used to sell just the strips? I need to replace mine...

5. macster

macster Forum Resident

Buy these, it's what I use (linky)

M~

33na3rd and black sheriff like this.
  6. McGuy

I just sent an email over to VPI but I'm betting they tell me to buy another wand...

7. McGuy

Thanks. the real question is how thick are they. I bought some off amazon and they were definitely thinner than the ones on the VPI and you could tell when the vacuum was in use.

8. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Not cool for those with Delrin wands! I need replacement strips myself.

9. McGuy

for the money, IF you can find thick enough ones, you can buy a paper cutter and a bunch of large sheets of the velvet and cut your own, all for $25 and should last you about 20 years...

10. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Well, VPI must source theirs from somewhere...

11. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I bought replacement strips around May 2020 from an Ebay Seller in the Czech Republic. They didn't work out well. I am using a VPI HW-17F and I presume that the tube/pads are identical to those on the 16.5 model? The replacements seem slightly wider than the VPI ones but the Wand would not stay flat on the record unless I applied slight pressure when I was vacuuming up the liquid on the disc. This occurred at the inner part of the record, for some reason. Overall, a failure. I just checked an original VPI Tube with factory pads with another VPI Tube on which I fitted the replacement pads and they look identical, almost from width. I don't know how I could have fitted them incorrectly, it doesn't seem possible. When I use the tube with the replacement pads though, the tube will not stay on the record and lifts. I couldn't fathom what the problem was/is. There is another thread here from last year on this very subject, i.e. replacement pads. A number of members have reported success with replacement velvet pads so it must be possible?

It's pricey having to buy a new tube each and every time. $30 is a crazy, stupid price for what you get. I'd pay $15 maybe. There must a very large profit margin. I don't begrudge VPI its profit but $30 is too steep, I think?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Tullman likes this.
  12. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

You've obviously had success with these replacement strips? They are more expensive than the ones I bought. If these work, I may be minded to buy a set. I have to send to the States every time I need to replace a tube so it's quite cumbersome and shipping from the States these days is expensive even for a small item like this.

13. macster

macster Forum Resident

Yes they are as stated in my response.

M~

14. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I replaced mine a few months ago. I bought them off Amazon. Kinda expensive for what they are as I recall, but they work great.

15. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I've been using these for quite a while Mobile Fidelity - Replacement Record Brush Pads (Pr) | Shop Music Direct

They are as thick as the VPI strips, but a tad bit shorter, but are long enough to cover all the grooves, see the tube on the left.
    [​IMG]

I cut them at 1/4" wide, place the bare tube on the 16.5 located over the LP and mark the width of the grooves and adhere the strips. A lot of strips there for 6 bucks.

McGuy likes this.
  16. macster

macster Forum Resident

I used those Music Direct replacement pads also.

M~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.