Anyone hear Graham Parker and the Rumour's version of "I Want You Back" on Wife Swap?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Danny, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny

Danny Senior Member Thread Starter

Hello,

Did anybody hear GP and The Rumour's version of the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back" on
    this tonight's "Wife Swap"? I was floored!

Too bad it wasn't a GP composition.

2. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

The only 7" I ever bought in the 70's. The "A" side was "Mercury Poisoning". To his day, I don't know which side I enjoy more. They are both fabulous.
    The 25th Anniversary re-issues (Made in Europe) of "Squeezing Out Sparks" (2001) has the two as bonus tracks. Probably the best digital versions.
    Glad to see he will be getting some nice royalty checks.

3. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I don't know what "Wife Swap" is (TV show?) but I am very familiar with the cover and have heard him do it live a few times. Amazing cover indeed.
    :righton:
    Pretty sure I have it on a compilation box (by Rhino?) and the SOS reissue my friend Kayak mentioned.
    Peace-
    Norm

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't know about that cover, but Wife Swap is my favorite reality TV show.

Each week, they (the producers) pick two households in different states that have totally opposite lifestyles from each other. The wives from each home switch lives and families for two weeks.

The first week of the swap, the women, who have never met each other, take each other's place as the other's wife and mother, and must live by the house's rules, as outlined in a manual by the departing woman. They must follow that lifestyle to the letter. But, the second week, the women get to impose their own lifestyles and philosophies on their temporary families! This is where the fun really begins. More often than not. At the end of the swap, the couples get to duke it out in a conference.

I like the show, not for the exploitation, but to observe how people live in our society. One family can be very cold and militaristic, and the other can be a family of touchy-feely slobs. Also, more often than not, at least one of the husbands turn out to be a jerk. What's shocking to me is just how different a family culture can be! I mean, I grew up one way, in a fairly easy-going, informal household, where the only thing really demanded of us is that we do our homework and a few chores (well, we didn't do those half the time:) ). We could read or watch TV while eating supper. In some other families, children aren't even allowed to speak unless spoken to, and you can'tr watch TV or read while eating! Wow! I am fascinated by all of it!

The first Wednesday of December, they are going to swap husbands! I'll bet at least one of them try to get into the woman's pants!

5. Danny

Danny Senior Member Thread Starter

I've had some interesting reactions to that cover over the years. I used to work in a restaurant as a dishwasher while I was in college. While I worked I played my mixed cassettes on a boom box.

One day that song was playing and one of the cooks said to me "Whose that singing? Michael Jackson's Grandfather?" :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.