Anyone here using an iPad as a music server?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HiFiGuy528, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX Thread Starter

Most of us know that the iPad is a great simple music server with its ability to send digital signal out via the Dock/Lightning connector with the use of the Apple Camera Connection Kit. Anyone here using one? What is your set up like? Pics would be great too.

[​IMG]

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

You mean as a media center controller? The iPad doesn't have enough storage to really hold anything. I do use the MediaMonkey remote to control my desktop PC though, it's a pretty handy app.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I use an iPod touch to stream Pandora via a HRT iStreamer, other than that, I mainly play LP's.

4. HiFiGuy528

you can get a 128GB iPad 4. I have a 64gb iPad with uncompressed AIFF music file. It holds a good amount of tunes.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

OK for streamers and small libraries. Lacking for all else. I dislike iTunes and it's proprietary need to be installed on your system. It's also horribly bloated. Why not get a PC or Mac or even run Linux? Then you can run the software you like.

6. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I use my 64 gigger to stream audio several hours per day, via AirPlay and Bluetooth

7. HiFiGuy528

I am surprised by that not many people here are using an iPad as a server, not streamer. iOS is a very stripped down OS and with Airplane mode turned ON, it's even more basic. The fact that it uses flash memory too it should be an ideal choice for a server. Sure the small store space means you will have to sync your music more often, but it should sound really good as a playback device connected to a good DAC. I will have a new iPad this week so I'm gonna test out how it stacks up against my Mac Mini music server.

Baron Von Talbot likes this.
  8. pfink

pfink Forum Resident

Not sure how this qualifies as a music server. Aren't you just using it as a music player / oversized iPod or can other devices access the music stored on the iPad?

9. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I can stream the music on the 32 GB version of my iPad mini directly to my Yamaha CD-N500 network player, which is cool. No cables or connectors necessary. That player is a tue multi talent.lol (Web radio, iPad, USB, network plus of course CD's and mp3 on CD-R/CD-RW)... Sound quality is as good from iPad as from the Computer storage..

10. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Makes no real difference in my opinion. Connects a tad bit faster and might actually sound a bit better on a true high resolving Stereo. Faster access definitely, sound quality - maybe but we are talking about excellence in both cases the sound is better than from a CDon the very samee HiFi set up.

11. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I have tried it with my Little Dot DAC/MKIII amp setup. However, I prefer just using it to send audio via Airplay either from MOG or from my iTunes library stored on a Mac Mini.

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Interesting. I can't see it for myself and will stick with the Mac Mini.

I would like some sort of iPad to control iTunes remotely (my Mini is headless) but I'm thinking a small iPad would do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.