Anyone hire a professional organizer to organize your music collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dolstein, Dec 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Imagine having your whole collection as lossless files with genre tags and using the search function to find the kickass latin track.
    :idea:

Panama Hotel and Anonamemouse like this.
  2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

And lo, you've just given me the vapors to imagine an album where one track has its own genre tag distinct from the rest of the album... :faint:

:biglaugh:

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

:idea: Heeeeeey-! I wonder if I can hire me a wino to do this...!

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Well, we probably all have albums with Christmas tracks . . .

Runicen likes this.
  5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I feel like there's something aspirational in that. You know, along the lines of "any pizza can be a personal pizza if you've got the guts."

To be a record-cataloging wino sounds like decent work, if you can get it. Sadly, I'm disqualified - being more of a vodka guy, myself. :biglaugh:

Oh hell.. Thanks for bringing that up. Now I'm going to have to tell my therapist that I've back-slid again. :crazy: :laugh:

uzn007 likes this.
  6. Winos can be expensive.

Runicen likes this.
  7. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I agree about classical being a pain. I struggled with it until I finally went with “why” I bought the particular classical record/CD to determine sorting. Was it for the performer/conductor, such as Hilary Hahn for example. The composer or for a particular musical piece, etc. My system would make no sense to anyone looking at it but me. I’m able to find stuff so it works. I’m always open to a better way.

Greenalishi and Runicen like this.
  8. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

As 350 SteveHoffman regulars try to figure out how to start doing this for income. :p

9. There's always that Murfie service.

Greenalishi and uzn007 like this.
  10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Man your going to need some space too.
    I had to get ride of all 5000 LP's and a room full of analog gear.
    Still have about 1000 CD's and a couple servers, that and two audio systems takes up enough space.

11. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

What do you mean?

12. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Are you sure?

13. I used to know exactly what I have. But recently my collection has become way too large to be able to keep track of it. I've bought a few duplicates in the last 2 years, which has prompted me to finally start listing my collection on discogs. I've only did my CDs up to F so far, without the box sets or classical titles that is.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  14. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm saved a little grief in that my acquisitions in classical are mostly box sets either organized by conductor, performer, or composer. This won't lead to uniformity, but it connects directly back to something physical. I suspect even a sharp blow to the head and amnesia wouldn't be enough to render that system totally beyond comprehension. At least, so goes the hope! :laugh:

Pizza likes this.
  15. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Why would she do that? Is she a collector too?

16. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

Not any more. The email I got a few weeks ago. (I had bought a single CD from them when they started and have the FLAC files. Frankly I'd forgotten about the company.)

We want to provide you with an update and extension. Despite the considerable investment and effort by its many supporters, unfortunately Murfie as a company financially failed and had to close. A group of ex-shareholders and ex-employees are working together here to help fellow Murfie customers who want retrieve any physical media that they have in the Murfie warehouse.

As there is no money to fund the involved cost of the labor and shipping, all of us who want to retrieve our collection are being asked to help by underwriting the cost involved in getting it picked, packed, and shipped. The email message that went out to Murfie's customers last Friday gave us an opportunity to gauge the amount of demand for such a retrieval program, which is substantial. As such, we are extending the time for you to reserve a place in the queue through Thursday, December 5th using the form below:

zphage likes this.
  17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Presumably to sell them. Discogs estimates the median value of my collection at $19,000. (Also: Holy Sh!t!) If I were to get divorced, my wife would be entitled to half of that.

Anonamemouse likes this.
  18. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Wait... So people who paid to have these people store their stuff now have to pay to get it back? Yikes...

Anonamemouse and garymc like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I believe The Persuaders had something to say on the topic:

The sweetest woman in the world
    Can be the meanest woman in the world

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Love this thread. 95% of people seem to have a hard time understanding the fundamental info the OP wrote.

OP : "I have no time to do it."
    Member : "DIY."

OP : "Moving into a NYC apartment (famous for being insanely tiny."
    Member : "Buy some shelves and find a room."

And in, and on... Why post silliness like this, I'll never understand. Helps no one in any way whatsoever.

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'd suggest just posting her name to warm others with a collection about what's in store for them if things go south. ;)

22. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Modern Dad has this covered, and the name is Siri.

ARK likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

On the other hand the Japanese are still into CDs, and their homes are famously tiny.

24. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

My mistake was explaining what stuff was worth to her. Besides, she probably won't date an audiophile anytime soon.

25. < this, x 1000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.