Anyone remember a band called Chicory Tip?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

A 70's pop band, they once did a version of "Son of My Father", which I think Giorgio had the bigger hit with the song, but I remember hearing Chicory Tip's version once back around '72 and I liked it better than Giorgio's. Never heard C.T. again but I see there's a Best of Chicory Tip comp available. Anyone familiar with them and what their other songs sound like?

2. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

I could tell you about Chicory Tip, but you'd be better served using a search engine.

3. glea

glea Forum Resident

Good Grief Christina was a great single. I think I've got it in the collection...

4. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

The group was called Chicory. The single was on Epic and, yes, Giorgio Moroder was a culprit.

Frank G

5. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

Boy, did I sound like a pompous twit. Allow me to clarify. It was on Epic in the States. I'm sure it was released internationally. Fine track. Didn't get much airplay in Oregon where I grew up, but I loved it in retrospect.

Frank G

6. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Chicory Tip - Son Of My Father....

UK number one in 1972.

Suppposedly the first UK number 1 to feature a syth!

7. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

A local band used to play this song and singer's pronunciation wasn't great he used to sing ...Sun of me Fadder

always hated them after that.
    JG

8. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

I never realised that the Chicory Tip version of 'Son of my Father' was actually a cover version of the Giorgio Moroder original! I remember their hit from first time around, the synth sound was a bit of a novelty at the time (remember 'Popcorn' by Hot Butter?) and actually bought some of the follow-up singles 'Good Grief Christina' and 'Cigarettes Women and Wine'. Ah! sweet, innocent times!

9. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Actually, according to this link, Giorgio Moroder's 'Son of my Father' is based on the song 'Nachts Scheint die Sonne' by Michael Holm. Well, you learn something new everyday, as they say.

10. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

Of course! I still got it on vinyl, K-Tel's 22 Explosive Hits! Along with the Giorgio "Son of My Father" - great collection although a little light on the bass response. :)

11. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

That must be the US version. The one we got over here was this one, which, although the cover is similar, is a totally different beast. It does have the wonderful 'El Doomo' by Steve Ellis, though, even if it is the highly edited version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.