Anyone seeing The Matrix reloaded tonight?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tyler, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

My girlfriend says she won't be able to stay awake long enough to see The Matrix Reloaded tonight. We'll be there for sure tomorrow night. Any hardcore fans of the first movie seeing a late screening tonight?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Nah, gonna wait until tomorrow.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Same here. The big crowds will turn up tomorrow nite, and that's the best time to see a new film, when everybody's really hot for it.

ED:cool:

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The movie starts on 5/22 here... I can't wait. I have seen all trailers on The Matrix website amazing and terrific... the special effects sets a new standard... John Gaeta (responsible for the tricks) worked together with the staff more than 4 years to do create and design all new effects... some are the first of their kind.

[​IMG]

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

By the way... the soundtrack sounds fantastic, especially the 2nd disc.

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The local critics panned it - so it's GOTTA be good!

I'll wait for next week, I guess....

7. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Saw it Wednesday night and it was great! I saw it again today at noon. Both times the crowds were huge. We got there an hour early Wednesday night. I picked up tickets earlier that day. The movie was a little hard to follow the first time, but it made more sense the second time. I am still a little unclear on a few things and it does end on a cliffhanger, so be ready. Damn cool special effects though. I give it 31/2 stars out of 4.

8. Tyler

I picked up tickets at lunch for a show this evening. I've been waiting for the sequel since I saw the original movie on the silver screen. Reviews have been mixed, but I'd be really surprised if it sucks. I don't think we have a "Phantom Menace" on our hands.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Just got back from a screening. Amazing special effects, the car chase scene is astounding, but certain scenes contain the most incomprehensible scientific goobledygook I've ever heard. (Makes the jargon on Star Trek: TNG seem like baby talk in comparison.)

Going to see it again on Saturday, see if anything makes more sense upon repeat viewing. :confused:

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I just went over to the local theater but all of tonights shows are sold-out. Damn!

Every show, the 0730/0800/0830/0900/0930/1000/1015/1030/1215AM, thats a lot of seats. That place is huge.

I was able to get into the LOTR and Star Wars movies on opening day with no problem, so the box office for this movie is gonna be out of this world.

Might try to get over there tommw (rain in forecast) but I have 2 contractors coming over for estimates and may not have the time.

The local Movie Reviewer for Newsday said he saw the movie with a friend at a screening this past week and when the Matrix 2 was over they both look at each other and said 'did you understand that?' They were glad they both didn't get it.
    Matrix 2 is supposed to have great Special Effects but its also long and talky and it abruptly ends.

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Saw it. If you liked and UNDERSTOOD the 1st Matrix, see it. If not, go see Anger Mgmt or something.

Matrix: What is the Matrix.
    Matrix Reloaded: Why is the Matrix.
    Next Matrix: ?

"To Be Continued". Excellent movie. Just pay attention ;)

H.R. Geiger pick up white courtesy phone!.....H.R. Geiger pick up white courtesy phone!.....

12. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Saw it today and it was great.Want to see it again.I made a point of not watching any shows on T.V. about the special effects before I saw the movie.That spoiled the Perfect Storm for me.

13. michael w

michael w New Member

Saw it this a.m.
    It should be called The Matrix Bloated.

In typical Hollywood fashion they have thrown everything in this sequel; more digitally enhanced kung fooey action, more SPFX, more eye candy, much more pseudo metaphysical mumbo jumbo but not more enjoyable than the first instalment.

As such it suffers from sequelitis but it's not a bad movie per se, just not a really good one.

If you are still awake after the long end credits you will be rewarded with a short preview of The Matrix Revolutions.

No doubt this will be a sellout when the inevitable DVD is released.

cheerio

14. Tyler

I just got back from a late screening of The Matrix Reloaded.

I thought it was an enjoyable film, sure to break all kinds of box office records. Most thoughts on this tomorrow, as I am very tired.

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Anyone know what is the most selling DVD-Video...

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I saw this thread and thought, "Why would I get RE loaded when I'm loaded enough already...?" :laugh:

Seriously, though, I'll be there tonight. Loved the first Matrix movie.

17. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Well, how was the Matrix Reloaded, guys?

18. danstone

danstone Senior Member

I believe the title is currently held by Monsters Inc. with over 9.2 million copies sold, although this info is a few months old now.

19. According to a friend of mine, the one who saw Matrix Reloaded with me yesterday, "The Matrix" was the first DVD to sell over 1 million copies. It may be the largest selling DVD to date.

As for "Matrix Reloaded" I give it a marginal thumbs up. I was blown away with all the special effects and trickery, but the movie itself was just OK. My favourite character in the movie was Merovingian played by France actor, Lambert Wilson (pronounced Lam bear). Of his 60 or so movies Wilson has only been in about 5 or 6 English films. He does a masterful job in his performace.

20. Tyler

The Matrix Reloaded contains some of the best special effects ever put into a Hollywood movie. I would recommend watching the first film right before seeing "reloaded". Reloaded is best when taken in context of the first movie, much like The Empire Strikes back, or The Two Towers.

The plot isn't tough to follow, if you pay attention. Take it easy on the drinks at the concession stand, because you don't want a bathroom break.

There is one scene in particular that ran a bit too long (no spoilers here though). If they cut down on that scene, and possibly showed some scenes where people were "freed" from the matrix, it would have been an
    improvement.

I think it will be the highest grossing movie of the summer. Be sure to stick around after the credits. A trailer for "The Matrix Revolutions" is shown. If you liked the first movie, it's worth checking out.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Unlikely, just because it's rated "R"...

22. JohnG

its made over $42 million in one day so far, explains why I couldn't get in last night.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

My Son is going to see it tonight! He's quite exited...I'll get a complete review tonight I'm sure...

24. JohnG

went to see "Holes" with the kids tonight and the place is buzzing with Matrix fans. some of these people look like extras from the movie itself.

i would bet The Matrix is getting repeat customers.

hopefully i'll get to see it finally this Sunday.

25. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

stale & empty - The Emperors' New Clothes

Yes, he was memorable. Especially when his character made fun of the French language - which he said he chose only after sampling all the world's languages, and deciding on French because of the musical sound of swearing in French - "like wiping your ass with silk." :D

ON THE OTHER HAND, after seeing the movie tonight, with two teenagers,
    I can confidently report otherwise that The Matrix Reloaded is jaw-droppingly horrid, something that should have been released directly to MST3K. :eek:

Sure, we all sort of liked the part where Neo throws the 100 Agent Smiths around (but for five long minutes zzzzzzzzzzz)
    and then the part where Neo grimaces and makes the ground wobble before he flies away like Superman.
    But by the third time Neo wobbles the ground and flies away like Superman, it's as stale as yesterday's papers, and as lame as everything else in this shocker.
    One of the characters even says "He's doing his Superman thing."

And as far as that big exciting impossible climactic ooh-la-la traffic sequence goes, the ONLY good effect is shown in the TV commercials -
    when the Agent jumps on the hood of the car and crushes it down in slow motion.
    That's neat-o for sure, but then there are 14 more minutes in the traffic sequence and nothing happens.
    Really, _nothing_ happens. The screen is very busy, indeed, but the plot is not advanced. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

There is very little to praise about Matrix 2. We felt cheated out of $8.75 each.

So what the heck did happen with this movie???? Who 'wrote' this? And they call this 'writing'?

Ok, of course, Matrix 3 will set box office records (there was a long line for every showing tonight),
    but more importantly, with this botched sequel, they have effectively erased The Matrix from my field of concern.

In other words, I certainly will not be going to Matrix 3 in the theater in November!

Maybe when it becomes a one-week rental at Blockbuster....

Or as an MST3K special??? ;)

FFF

(Just MHO, as always, and YMMV, especially when driving on that bogus highway set that they built for the big traffic sequence. :) )

P.S. Sorry to sound so crabby, but the kids complained all the way home, and it was my idea to see Matrix 2, so I got blamed, you see... ;)
    I tried to explain that maybe everything will be made clear in Matrix 3, and that Matrix 2 is really simply impossibly brilliant!
    But they just laughed. Smart kids. FWIW, they liked the French guy, too, and also remembered Monica Belluci - but they both still wanted their money back!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.