Anyone seen a sticker like this on CD inserts? Folks from Canada may be able to help.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Dec 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I just received a Japanese first pressing CD of Quiet Riot Metal Health (Pasha catalog number ZK 38443) from someone in Canada. From the inserts, it looks like the original pressing released in the US. However, the barcodes on the back insert and back cover of the booklet are covered with stickers that say the following:

The sticker is basic in appearance -- black text on white. Has anyone come across discs with this sort of sticker? Was it common practice in the early days of the CD format to use such stickers in Canada? Why does it say "NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION OR SALE OUTSIDE CANADA"? I've never seen this on another CD.

Thanks in advance.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yes..... I'm afraid you'll have to send that to me, Keith. You're outside of Canada, right? Sorry.

To save you postage, I'll PM ya a list of other things I want....

Glad to be of help!

;)

(PS: It's just probably just a "rights" thing.... don't really know, though. :sigh: )

3. KeithH

Gary said:

I'll send it to you as soon as I send the record labels all those promo discs I've bought! :D

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Keith, these guys are looking for you!

mud-:D

Attached Files:

5. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Keith,

It doesn't have a sticker but I have a Men Without Hats CD of Rhythm of Youth that has "Not for sale in The U.S.A." printed on the back.

I bought mine from a Canadian seller on eBay.

That's not much help, I know, but I would think it has to do with royalties or licensing or something.

6. chaz

chaz Senior Member

I have quite a few discs like this with this type of sticker. They were only used by CBS in the early days of cd's when the record companies had the discs pressed in Japan. It was probably used so that CBS could keep track of what they were selling in the various territories around the world. ie. They didn't want CBS Canada selling the discs into other CBS territories.

7. KeithH

mud,

You're a riot! Those guys tend to stand out here in the US, so I should be able to steer clear of them! ;)

ascot and chaz,

Thanks for the info. That definitely helps. The stickers are an interesting piece of history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.