Anyone tried the Bluesound Node 2i streamer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BroJB, May 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Classic car, no the node 2i does not show up under network explorer on your PC. Under the setup for the node2i you open "Library" you go to "Network shares" and then "Current Music shares" and enter the shared network path to the directory with the FLAC files of your CDs (something like d:\flacfiles\music...etc)

2. UTP

UTP Forum Resident

To easily modify the node’s settings (e.g. setting a network share) from your pc/Mac you can also type the node’s IP address in your internet browser. This also works on your phone/tablet when it is connected to the same network. You can find the node’s IP address in your router menu or in the Help/diagnostics section in the BluOS app.

I’m a very happy Node 2i user. Connected to an Exposure 2010S2 DAC. Sounds great, the software is awesome and very responsive. Tidal integration works flawless. Qobuz not so much though.

I compared it to a Linn Selekt DSM when I brought my speakers in the shop. That truly is a
    nice piece of kit. Looks and sounds better than the bluesound. But you can buy 9 Node 2i’s for the price of 1 Selekt DSM...

adamos and Tim S like this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

This thread is a treasure trove for node2 / 2i users and potential users. Thanks to all posters.

4. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Good news.... I finally got it down. I was able to setup the node the way how I want it. I took off my silver interconnects and replaced with pure copper with silver plates going to cassette recorder (only). I adjusted my 32-octave eq. and took me bout 2 days to dial it, then node output level. the I started recording from normal bias all the way to metal bias. Its sound really nice. This is probably the closest that I can get to analog in this type of format. I'm happy now for everything should be decked out right. I played the cassette in my other system and in the car, its just like recorded in the studio.

adamos and Tim 2 like this.
  5. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Well done, glad you got it working to your satisfaction.

6. Classic Car Guy

Oh yeah... Only problem now is I cant keep up with the song list....

7. Classic Car Guy

If you want to add music to another room, besides having the node 2i as your main player, what do I need for this?

8. Adeep

Adeep Forum Resident

If you have a separate system in the other room you need that room to be on the same wireless (or wired) network and another Node2i. Works perfectly for me. I have an upstairs and downstairs systems and usually have whole house music going.

displayname likes this.
  9. Classic Car Guy

Sorry I'm not really good at this networking system but Ill explain what I have in the best of my knowledge. I have a node 2i plugged in directly on my main system in room 1.
    Can I connect to that node 2i (from room 1) to room 2 so I can have a preamp out connected to another system being controlled by iphone through wifi running a different music at the same time? Thanks....
    If so and what gadget is this?
    is it only a bluesound product I can use to make this work?

10. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Yes, Bluesound or NAD with built-in BluOS support: another Node or one of their Pulse speakers.

Right now, you can get a factory-refurbished Pulse for $199:
    PULSE FLEX

It can be connected to your second system via "Headphone Out" on rear panel using a 1/8"-to-RCA cable. Control with your existing Bluesound app. If you want to temporarily move it to another room, just disconnect the cable and you have a powered speaker.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  11. insoc123

insoc123 Well-Known Member

I use it daily connected to an external DAC. I've been looking for an alternative because I REALLY HATE the BluOS. It's crap. It freezes, it disconnects suddenly, it's slow and the list go on...

12. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Just curious, is your Node wired or wireless? Are your music files always online or on a source that goes to sleep?

13. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

Just added mine 2 days ago and liking the sound of it.Great addition

14. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

I have a Node N100 that froze up last month. It displayed a solid red light. At the time when I googled it,there were a bunch of folks that had the same issue with N100’s, and Node 2’s. At that time I had the 2 in my main system,and the N100 in a secondary system. I told my wife about the problem with the N100. Her response was that I should go ahead and order a new one. Once I woke up, I did just that. 3 days after receiving my 2i,I google the problem with the red display again,and I see Bluesound has offered a fix for this problem. I had to do a factory reset,and then do a new setup with a software update. Now the N100 works as good as the 2 and 2i. So now the 2i is in my listening room,the 2 is in the secondary system,and the N100 is in the living room running through an optical cable into our HT receiver. The other Nodes are run through external DAC’s. Before using external DACS,I used the internal of the N100,and the 2. I was always pleased with the sound. Adding a DAC definitely ups the game!

Tim S and Roycer like this.
  15. Adeep

Adeep Forum Resident

My upstairs (main system) is wired, downstairs is on fast wifi, sounds great!

16. insoc123

insoc123 Well-Known Member

Wireless, always online, Tidal.

17. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

You might try changing your router's wireless channel and confirm you are running the latest firmware on the Node. If you have a 2i, use the 2.4 GHz wifi rather than the 5 GHz.

insoc123 and Tim S like this.
  18. jek57

jek57 Forum Resident

How did you stream music with the echo dot with your system ? I'm old school

Tim S likes this.
  19. Classic Car Guy

That's what I notice too. Using the 2.4 its more consistent.
    PS .. so going back with my Node 2i questions adding a remote preamp or speaker running in another room through wifi, I can only use NAD or Bluesound?

20. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

If you want to use the same Bluesound app on your phone, then you have to stay with a BluOS-enabled device. If you're open to using a second app, there are other options available that run on other audio streaming protocols such as DLNA, Roon (RAAT), Squeezebox (Slimproto), MPD, etc. Note that this choice would not allow "synchronization" between devices; it would be two totally separate systems.

What's wrong with the refurb Pulse I suggested?

21. Classic Car Guy

No I didnt or probably missed an attention about that topic. I'll scroll back and read again.

22. Arouski

Arouski Well-Known Member

Im sure your dot sound good through the nad. I have played with several items, dot, chromecast, computer direct, and bluesound. They all work. I prefer the bluesound, I've purchased 3, vault, 2, 2i. They are very good products, easy to use.

Tim S likes this.
  23. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me. Thread Starter

With the Echo Dot, you can cast directly from the Amazon HD app on your phone. Or you can connect via Bluetooth for other services and apps. But I found direct casting had better sound.

24. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me. Thread Starter

Oh yeah, my Node 2i is definitely superior in every way to the Dot. But, for $35, the Dot does deliver a nice sound. If your budget is limited or you're just dipping your toe into streaming, the Dot is a solid choice.

Tim S likes this.
  25. Clayton93

Clayton93 Forum Resident

"With the Echo Dot, you can cast directly from the Amazon HD app on your phone. Or you can connect via Bluetooth for other services and apps. But I found direct casting had better sound."

I was under the impression that the Echo Dot streams via wifi as does the Chromecast Audio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.